Board logo

packaging kit
bphiett - 16-1-2004 at 10:07

whats the best way of packing masts and booms for air travel?

Chuck it all in the board bag or wrap it up separate.

Anyone got any good ideas?

Nick - 16-1-2004 at 12:37

I don't have an answer I'm afraid.......but I do have a question. Would you by any chance be the same Mr Hiett of Southampton uni windsurf club fame?

I was searching for windsurf vids last night and found some interesting clips on their website....looks like you had a great time!

Cheers

Nick

bphiett - 16-1-2004 at 14:31

Hi, yes thats me. I had a good time down there and managed to extend the student life to an impressive 7 years.

Now I'm off to pursue the dream of joining the PWA. My first step is to get out to WA for a years training starting 4th feb.

After that who knows...

cheers,
Ben.

PS still need to know how best to pack up my masts and booms...

Dave - 16-1-2004 at 17:38

Guy Cribb did an article in Windsurf about lugging kit around the world. But I can't remember the issue.

I know it's not much use - but there you go. I even had a look at http://www.guycribb.com/default.htm. He has a page about WA, and I have some mates in Perth who keep telling me how great it is.

Hope you have a great time.

ajdesq - 16-1-2004 at 23:14

Hey, this is my forte...

Masts go bubble wrapped in a padded mast bag, which in turn goes into a quiver bag. Roll all your sails up together, cover in 1 layer of bubble wrap, put that in the quiver bag too.

As for the boom.... disassemble totally. Wrap the straighter bits in bubble wrap, put in board bags or quiver bags, or inside the wrapped sails. Put the 'v' shaped bits with your boards. Put the boom heads in your suitcase amongst your clothes.

Don't spare the bubble wrap.

Nothing over 32Kg will be accepted at check-in. Better 3 items at 32 than two at 45Kg.

Finally, pray that BA don't lose your kit

Andrew

bphiett - 19-1-2004 at 16:42

thanks for the info guys.

bphiett - 24-1-2004 at 17:51

seem to remember in that guy cribb article him wrapping his sails around bits of drainpipe to prevent squashage.

anyone any experience of this??

only a week to go till WA...

justal - 24-1-2004 at 18:21

Squashage... now theres a cool word!!!

Al.

bphiett - 26-1-2004 at 08:53

yeh,

like a sausage...

but flatter.