Board logo

Shell island
dunk - 5-3-2004 at 11:04

Any one know if there are any restrictions on kiting at Shell island ? if its any good and what directions work best ?

shawn - 5-3-2004 at 16:08

er.... where's shell island?

justal - 5-3-2004 at 18:26

Not sure about restrictions, but I haven't heard of any.

As far as best directions, it really depends which part of the beach you are on... The long sandy stretch to the South of Shell island faces SW so anything from a cross-onshore from the left Southerly through to a dead onshore SW and around to a cross-onshore from the right NW will be perfect.... However, if the wind is from the North or even NE you could go to the more shingly area of beach to the north of Shell Island.

The above assumes you mean kite-surfing...If it's land-based kiting you are after, then you'd want to be on the long sandy beach and the wind direction won't be such a concern..although the offshore winds will still be a little gusty.

Also note that it does get pretty busy there in the summer.

Hope that Helps.

Al.

shem - 6-3-2004 at 08:11

Unfortunatly, Yes there are kiting restrictions. Due to the near by air port, kiting isnt allowed between 9am and 5 pm on week days, week ends are fine. I think however if you walk down towards the nudist beach youll get away with it there,( kiting that is......not that I walk around naked, body surf naked, dune surf naked............uuuuu uuuuu rrrrr gggggggg. I wouldnt really!!!!!!

Ive kite surfed there loads and its really good, also great for land kiting, but the main beach is really busy all summer.

dunk - 6-3-2004 at 12:14

Thanks for the info guys, When would you chose to sail there Shem ?