Board logo

Any windsurfing locations near Norwich??
Jonny - 18-10-2004 at 21:34

Im meant to be goin to Norwich at the weekend. Might be cheeky and take my windsurfing kit if the forecasts good. Are there any good spots round near by? Anyone sail around there or sailed there in the past? Ive seen Brancaster on the beach guide, looks a good 60 miles away. Are there any other spots closer to Norwich?? Any info would be much appreciated.

You can have a nice feel of my Avatar if you give me some useful information

[Edited on 18-10-2004 by Jonny]

justal - 19-10-2004 at 06:47

I don't know any details, but I'm sure there must be somewhere decent along the coast around Great Yarmouth.... you could always stop off in The Broads as well!!

Al.

Ian - 19-10-2004 at 15:38

Depends on how much time you have for travelling. The best place to go if the wind id blowing anywhere from SW - E is Wells-Next-The-Sea down towards the lifeboat station. Its really only sailable 2hrs before to 2 hrs after High Tide. If its kicking its a grest place to sail safe as its shealtered & theres a big sandbank that you can stand on if you break kit the lifeboat stn is just across the way so they will come out and pick you up but just wait till lowish tide and swim the deep water channel.
If the tides are out of sync then the only place to go is Hunstanton. The only west facing beach on the East Coast. Flat water only but great from SW to N really, not much else to say about Hunny apart from loads of Kitesurfers (or there was when I was around the area).

Other places Brancaster great waves between Wells & Hunny. Never sailed anywhere else Yarmouth and places on that area ofthe coast apparently suffer from huge rips, hence the reason most go across to the other coast. Down towards Lowestoft is the other option.

Hope that helps

dunk - 19-10-2004 at 15:49

There's a place near Cromer called East Runton, meant to be good waves there, and the water doesn't go out that much. I've been a few times but the wind never showed, park in the carpark on the cliff top and walk down.

Jonny - 20-10-2004 at 23:50

Thanks for the advice guys. I wont have that much free time over the weekend and the forecast doesn't look too good for wind so I prob wont be takin my toys. Its useful advice for when I visit that area in the future though. The forecast for later on today is lookin superb so hopefully sneak a session in before it gets dark. Just about to go to bed now and the winds already blowin a nice 20mph outside.

justanna - 21-10-2004 at 07:38

Could be risky not taking yuor kit! From experience (of living with Al!) this is usually when the conditions are perfect, you find a perfect new spot to go out and find yourself with enough spare time to sit thinking about how much fun you could be having!

Jonny - 24-10-2004 at 21:15

As it turns out. I didnt have any spare time so didn't have time to think about how much fun I could be having although there was a nice wind in Norwich for most of the weekend. Just hope theres gonna be wind for this coming weekend before the cold winter sets in