Board logo

Tarifa
Harry - 19-3-2005 at 11:35

I've managed to persuade a few non-windsurfing mates that a trip to south spain mid-may would be a good idea...

Planning a few days in Tarifa. Can anyone recommend a good apartment or hotel in the town? We're looking for something cheap but not ultra-basic (2*?). I know there's info galore on the net, but it's hard sorting the good places from the bad.

Also:

Best car hire company from Gibraltar airport?

What wetsuit should I pack for md-may? Can I get away with boardies/rashie?

Any info much appreciated. Cheers

ajdesq - 19-3-2005 at 14:21

Yo, H! There's a girl where I work who has a rental flat in Tarifa... I'll see what I can find out next week.

I think the crew at Rye Watersports have a flat there too, so give 'em a ring to enquire.

From what I remember there are only a couple of car hire desks at the airport - I think the usual Avis and that. You might get a better deal by searching for car hire at La Linea or in Algeciras and asking if they can deliver the car to the border. I don't know if you've been before, but the airport is less than 50m from the border.

As for wettie, I'd go with a steamer, or a shortie at best. I think it'll be a bit cold in a rashie, but then I'm a girls blouse anyway...

I'm very keen to know how you get on so do report back. Have a fandabadoobie time!

Andrew

justal - 19-3-2005 at 14:55

I've just built a website for a friend who has a villa in Estepona... a few miles down the road from Tarifa... I'm not sure of the prices yet though and it may be a bit more luxurious than you are looking for.

http://www.casalvista.co.uk

Hope you like the site as I haven't even finished it yet!

Al.

justal - 21-3-2005 at 07:20

Also...take a look in the links section and then the Travel Links...someone has added a link to some apartments in Tarifa.

Al.

ajdesq - 26-3-2005 at 22:01

The girl at work with the flat has left the company, so no joy, sorry. Let us know how you get on though.

Harry - 1-4-2005 at 20:20

Thanks for all the info

My plans have changed slightly. I'm travelling around the area with my non-windsurfing mates for a few days, then they're all buggering off and I'm staying on for a bit longer in Tarifa. Will be renting kit - it sounds like Spin Out is the best place? So think I will stay somewhere near to the Spin Out centre.

Is there any cheap accomm near to Spin Out?

Cheers!

Harry - 1-4-2005 at 20:54

Also....does anyone know anything about Surfcenter dos Mares? Location? Kit quality? Rental prices? Accomm nearby????

ajdesq - 12-4-2005 at 20:17

Take a tent as Camping Torre de la Pena II is across the road from Spin out - you won't need a car. I seem to remember a couple of places to stay nearby (as in hotel/hostel) but the names escape me. If you have a car then your options include anywhere, including down town (where, if you're on your tod, you'll want to be in the evenings anyway).

A fanciful long shot, but what are your dates?

A

Harry - 1-5-2005 at 17:23

My plans have changed again. Due to work commitments I'm now in Tarifa for only 1 night :-(, 23 May, after travelling around the area with my non-windsurfing mates. So I'm just going to stay somewhere close to Spin Out, don't mind splashing out a bit since it's only 1 night, up to 50-60 euros. What's the closest hotel/hostel to Spin Out?

Oh yeah - is it possible to get into town from e.g. Spin Out, are there buses? And since I won't have a car, I'll need to get from Tarifa to Malaga airport by bus on the 24th - is that possible?

Is it recommended to book kit in advance from Spin Out, or OK to just turn up? I've tried emailing them but no reply.

Bit of a gamble, only being there for 1 or 2 days, best be windy!

Harry - 1-5-2005 at 17:24

ps ajdesq I won't have a tent since I don't want to lug it around with me when I'm travelling around the area with my mates, so camping not possible, more's the pity.

holzgartner - 19-5-2005 at 20:17

Harry, just rock up to spin out, talk to Roddy or one of the other lads and they'll sort you out without any notice at all. Sometimes on the weekends the choice of kit gets a bit low if you arrive late in the day but at this time of year you'll be fine. Take a spring 'suit (long leg short arm).
Next time you plan to stay longer check out our apartments www.tarifa-kitesurf-apartments.com
Cheers!
Hans

dunk - 19-5-2005 at 21:14

Hey Hans

How's thingz

Didn't know you were on here! wouldn't mind getting over to your place with de massiff!

Talk to you soon

Later

Dunkster

leonardo - 25-5-2005 at 06:38

Dunk dude! if u're going to Da-Reefer (Tarifa) I'm there wif ya mate...the place rocks. i might even be there anyhow in August for a week..