Board logo

FON beach meet 4/5th Oct
justal - 7-8-2003 at 06:40

We're organising a Forces-of-Nature 'trip' to Borth for the weekend of October 4th-5th 2003. (we'll make it a long weekend if anyone can manage that.

As usual, everyone is welcome, bring all your toys, and hopefully we'll have some wind and waves so that we can use them.

I've decided to give you all plenty of warning this time so that we can hopefully get a decent number of people here. It means that we have no idea what the forecast will be, but it would be nice just to get us all together so that we can put some faces to the names from these forums.

If the weather isn't suitable we can always find something to do, and theres always the BBQ and pub options if all else fails!!... So put your name down and come along whatever the forecast throws at us closer to the time (it's bound to be wrong anyway!)

The plan will be to meet on the beach during the day, or in the Friendship pub (Borth) in the evening.

Let us know here if you'll be coming.

I'll post some general Borth info for those who don't know the place soon, and some accomodation info if anyone needs it.

Alternatively check this thread for some info.

Hope to see you all here for Oct 3rd-6th.

Al.

P.S. Sorry I haven't organised any trips away from Borth so far this year, but my van has been pretty much out of action as a travelling toybox as we don't have a house at the mo, so lots of stuff is stored in it, meaning theres no room for me and Anna!!

badexcuseforasailor - 7-8-2003 at 18:38

Ive just booked Saturday night at the yha at borth. Would like to make it a long weekend but don't have anymore time to book off of work

Maybe I shall be feeling sick nearer the time

What are the tides doing that weekend Al?

justal - 7-8-2003 at 20:59

Tides are as follows:

Fri HT 2.25pm
Sat HT 4.10pm
Sun HT 5.40pm

They are all very small neap tides as well, so if theres wind we'll be able to sail all day from the seafront, or pretty much all day in the estuary too.

Al.

Joe - 8-8-2003 at 07:20

Hi everyone,

I would love to come to the Borth beach meet but cannot make it that weekend. Could we agree to appoint another weekend in October, say the 11th/12th?
I'm sure there's a lot more wind then, too

Joe

Spencer - 8-8-2003 at 17:33

Yeah cool,im up for that, If we start praying to the Wind Gods now we should be alright

ajdesq - 9-8-2003 at 00:55

I don't know how to break this guys, but I'm coming too. I'm really sorry.

I know you'd like it to be windy, but I must give the place a go... Maybe you could all cancel out my wind jinx?

Will be bringing the caravan so guess I'll just find a site nearby. If there's any other Trailer Trash out there, let me know.

On the last thread there was a load of campsite choices. Has anyone checked them out in the meantime and can recommend one, or any to avoid??? I'll proabaly be making it quite a long weekend, maybe a week or so.

Laters!

Andrew

[Edited on 9-8-2003 by ajdesq]

[Edited on 9-8-2003 by ajdesq]

justal - 9-8-2003 at 04:16

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Hi everyone,

I would love to come to the Borth beach meet but cannot make it that weekend. Could we agree to appoint another weekend in October, say the 11th/12th?
I'm sure there's a lot more wind then, too

Joe

Joe, I'm easy, but the tides aren't so good that weekend. HT is at 9.30am and a pretty big tide too (5.1m), which would mean sailing from 7am if theres an Easterly and we're sailig in the estuary.... Not a problem for me, and its what we did last time, so I know its not a problem for some of the other guys. An evening session wouldn't be any good in the estuary either as sunset is around 6.30pm.

BEFS has already booked his accomodation for the 4th as well, so I guess if he'd rather change weekends and everyone else could make the 11th/12th as well then we could change the dates....

The other thing is, the 4th/5th coincides with the Borth Surf Competition... Not sure if this is a good thing or not. It will mean that there will be a few things going on both on the beach and in the pub, and that there will be quite a few surfers about (Some of them pretty good!). It will also mean that some of the F-O-N members could enter the competition if they so wished...

It could of course result in a conflict of interests if theres a big SW blowing and we want to windsurf from the Lifeboat Station, which in such conditions would be where they would hold the surf contest.

SO... We'll probably go for the 4/5th, unless a number of other people (including BEFS) would prefer the 11th/12th weekend.. Of course, you can still come along on the 11th/12th and I'll be around so we can enjoy the 'better winds'!!!

Let the people decide!

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 9-8-2003 at 21:07

Ive booked hostel for 4/5 oct now. 11 /12 wouldn't be good for me with my shift parttern as it means going back to work at 5am on the Monday morning.

Should be good to see how proper surfers do it

justal - 10-8-2003 at 06:43

OK... It'll have to be the 4-5th then, as I said, the tides are better then anyway. I haven't decided whether or not to enter the surf competition myself yet.

Joe, you'll just have to come along on your own on the 11th-12th. Lets hope theres wind on both weekends..

For those of you still trying to decide, Borth is a 4 mile long sandy beach that faces west. The surf can be OK and sometimes really good, but the conditions for windsurfing, kitesurfing and land-based beach sports are perfect. The hard packed wide sandy beach is just excellent for kite-buggying, land-yatching etc. Windsurfing is possible in any wind direction, with SSW through to NNW being best on the seafront. These winds provide perfect bump and jump conditions or onshore wave-sailing conditions. If a big SW is blowing then it does get big and gnarly, but under such conditions we tend to sail from the Lifeboat Station at the south of the beach where the cliffs provide a little protection and the waves are smaller and cleaner.

Occasionally dead Southerly or Northerly winds provide cross-shore sailing. These (especially the southerlies) can be accompanied by waves, or can be fairly flat. SE winds can be OK and provide some cross-offshore wave-sailing on rare occassions, but the wind is often gusty. NE and Easterly winds are sailable on the sefront, but we tend to head to the estuary at Ynyslas in these wind directions as the valley there funnels the wind increasing it by at least 10 knots, and often more like 20 knots. It can often produce good 5m sailing conditions when everywhere is still. The water state in here is anything from mirrot smooth to mad confused chop.

Kitesurfing is possible from both the sea front or in the estuary.

Its rarely busy here, anythign more than 10 people on the water is unusual, and theres usually just one or two. There should be a few more people around on the 4-5th though due to the surf competition. (If you feel like entering there a prize draw of all entrants to win a weeks trip to Indonesia!!, along with contest prizes of boards, wetsuits etc.)

The town itself is fairly small and rarely busy. There are three pubs, a couple of general stores and lots of campsites to choose from. The Youth Hostel is pretty good for acommodation too.

Hope I've convinced you to come along.

Al.

justal - 10-8-2003 at 07:00

quote:
Originally posted by ajdesq
Will be bringing the caravan so guess I'll just find a site nearby. If there's any other Trailer Trash out there, let me know.

On the last thread there was a load of campsite choices. Has anyone checked them out in the meantime and can recommend one, or any to avoid??? I'll proabaly be making it quite a long weekend, maybe a week or so.

Laters!

Andrew

Andrew, try getting hold of Stevebus (from these forums). He comes here fairly regularly with a motorhome that he parks up in a campsite each night. I'm not sure which one he uses though, but there are quite a few that welcome tourers. I'm not the best person to ask about such tings though as living here means I have little need to use a local caravan site.

Let me know closer to the time whether you'll be up the week before or the week after... I guess it depends on the weather forecast really... If theres wind I'll be able to arrange the odd session!

Al.

ajdesq - 17-8-2003 at 03:38

Hmmm... booking ain't my thang anyway. I'll prob turn up a week or so before, just pitch up somewhere then tell the world where it's at. Or not, as the case may be

SeanBo - 17-8-2003 at 07:55

I'm not a booking person either, but when we went to Borth earlier this year we tried 4 sites before we found one that had space!

I suggest you at least get a list before you go so that you can easily drive from one to another when you get there.

Its a shame we probably won't be there as it would be interesting to get a first hand account of your travels whilst sat on the beach waiting for the wind, but then if you really are a wind jinx, maybe I am better staying at home

[Edited on 17-8-2003 by SeanBo]

SeanBo - 17-8-2003 at 08:00

Yeeehhhaaaahhhhhh....i'm a force of nature!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just goes to show how little I have been sialing that I can post so much on here!

Al, why is there a * after force of nature? Don't tell me there is a star rating for those of us who are a FON

justal - 18-8-2003 at 05:41

Yep...well spotted. I added that yesterday morning. You're still a force-of-nature, but those with even more posts, get stars as well....

You'll also get another gold star as well, up to a total of 8!!. I thought 5 gold stars just wasn't enough for some of you!!

I didn't realise the campsites here were so busy. I know its quite busy at the moment, but it never really seems THAT busy either in town, on the roads or on the beach. I should imagine things will have eased off a bit by October as well, which of course means it may be worth phoning a few places just to make sure they are still open!

Al.

ajdesq - 20-8-2003 at 15:56

Does anyone know when half term is?

I'll book if it's half term, otherwise shannae bother. I'm in both caravan clubs so have a huge choice of 'certified' sites too. (yeah, roll on the jokes!)

I managed not to kill the wind in the Gorge so there is hope for Borth if I turn up. Just don't mention Nitnat!

You're at Poole, eh, Seanbo? I may just stop off on the way anyway, so look out. UK tour is 20/9-2/11.

Still, overheard one comment in the US to someone moaning about a bad session on a bad day with bad wind. Their mate listened, smiled, and simply said:

"That's windsurfing!"

SeanBo - 20-8-2003 at 18:31

ajdesq

Let me know if/when you are coming to Poole and we can stand on the beach and complain about the lack of wind together

Sean

(PS 1st sprog due 7-9-03 so I may not be 100% reliable at the mo)

justal - 21-8-2003 at 21:16

I've just heard rumours that Boardwise may be joining us here in Borth on this weekend and having a demo day here.

I'm not sure if its true yet, but it should be pretty cool for us if they do as it will mean we can try out all the new kit and not even have to rig any of it ourselves!!!

Still bring all your own toys though just in case this information is false. I did phone them the other day asking if they could do a demo day here this year and I was told they weren't going to, but maybe they've changed their minds.

Is anyone else coming other than BEFS, Spencer and ajdesq?

Dazzamuffin told me on the beach that he'll be here, I take it Steve will be (if theres no important footbal match), and I assume Dave and 'Alex' will be here too. MartinF sounded interested in a recent e-mail as well, and if Boardwise do get a demo-day orgainsed for the same weekend then the place should be pretty busy.

I just hope we get as much wind as there is out there at the moment.

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 21-8-2003 at 21:25

I don't have much luck with demo days and wind Ive yet to have any wind on a demo day lets hope this is the first.

MartinF - 23-8-2003 at 21:07

Hi AL,

I've got the dates noted & intend to attend.

Any half decent, inexpensive B&B's around? May be too cool for a tent

Cheers,
Martin

justal - 24-8-2003 at 06:23

There are, but I've never actually stayed in any of them as I've never had the need to. Someone else may be able to tell you which ones they have experienced or are better than others.

I'll look up a list of them with phone numbers for you though and post them here. The other option which is apparently quite good is the youth Hostel which is where BEFS is staying. He'll tell you all about it as he stayed there last time.

It'll be good to see you again and lets hope that one day at Overcombe has broken our wind jinx!!

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 24-8-2003 at 17:43

If you don't mind sharing a dorm the hostel is great £10.25 for the night then £5 ish for evening meal and £4 for breakfast(or theres a selfcatering kitchen if you want to cook)

Book here borth yha

0870 770 5708

you have to be a member of the yha though £13 for a year memebership

Dave - 24-8-2003 at 19:50

I'll be there, I just hope that my finger is better by then.

and if Boardwise come it will be good, as I need to buy some new kit.

I might encourage GMAC to come and stay as well....

stevebus - 26-8-2003 at 22:06

stevebus - 26-8-2003 at 22:11

just a quick note to say i'll be there 4 th and 5th with bus loaded with toys,also a note on demo day I heard it was second weekend of october which is good news as i will be at both.

ajdesq - 28-8-2003 at 16:31

I haved it on good authority that half term (at least in Kent) is at the END of October, so I reckon us campers (oo-er missus) need not fret about booking.

justal - 2-9-2003 at 20:29

Martin... I haven't forgotten about looking up B&B's for you.... I'll do it soon!!

If my Fanatic Cross has been repaired and is still at Wet & Windy I may ask one of the Bristol Crew (You or Spencer) to do me a favour and bring it up here for me when you come up for the weekend.

Not to worry if you can't do it, and it might not be ready in time anyway, but it was just an idea that may work out. I haven't managed to speak to anyone at W&W yet anyway as Andy has been on holiday, so I don't even know if they CAN repair it.

Al.

AndyW - 4-9-2003 at 12:09

Well, I guess I might be able to make it too.

I think a B&B in one of the pubs might be best (Bar & Bed). Least distance from bar to bed and back to breakfast!

Steve - 6-9-2003 at 14:45

Just turned down a ticket to watch Birmingham at Man U. So it better be windy.

justal - 7-9-2003 at 07:07

Well Done Steve!!!!... Theres hope for you yet!

Looks like the pressure is on now though as far as the wind goes.

Al.

Dave - 7-9-2003 at 09:21

Steve....

Brum are going to lose anyway

but you are missing the chance to see a beautiful stadium.

"There's only one UNITED"

badexcuseforasailor - 7-9-2003 at 19:24

Less of the football please

justal - 8-9-2003 at 05:52

You tell 'em BEFS.

I see Jonah has said he might be along for this weekend as well... and wants to go for his first ever forward loop.... Anyone else up for trying it on the 4-5th??

Al.

Rabbit - 8-9-2003 at 19:26

Rabbit - 8-9-2003 at 19:31

I I What happend there?
Well never mind,
I know I don't post here a lot but do visit regulally, I'll be there, hopefully the wind will blow, I'm gonna risk a tent and six billion sleeping bags/duvets and some kind'a'termal nuclear heating device! You should seem me for miles with a ready break glow!

justal - 8-9-2003 at 20:06

Cool... we'll look out for you Rabbit. Hopefully it won't be too cold for you in the tent. We're living in a caravan with no heating here at the moment, and its beginning to get a little chilly in the mornings, but its not too bad yet.

Have you phoned any camp-sites to ake sure they are open for that weekend? or will you just camp in the dunes?

Al.

Rabbit - 8-9-2003 at 21:20

Al,
was thinking of checking out the lay of the land, if the weather does start to turn then maybe yha sounds good, if not then at least camp sites usually have hot showers, except the one I visited at Rhossy which was freezing between 7am and 11am and 3pm to 7pm.
Catch you soon.
Rob.

badexcuseforasailor - 8-9-2003 at 21:33

Looks like we should have quite a crowd on the 4-5 october. Should we start reserving rigging/ parking spots ?

Spencer - 9-9-2003 at 01:12

HI All...
My brother-in-law is gonna come along as well,he owns a tent which is handy,Camping in the dunes Al that sounds intresting?? Im looking forward to a mild weekend with F4-5 winds...(please,please,please). AL u mentioned a board at wet + Windy? would be happy to ferry it up if no one else can.Havn't been on the forum for a while,been working 70-80hr weeks...

justal - 9-9-2003 at 05:15

Camping in the dunes isn't 'officially' allowed, but lots of people do it, and as long as you;re quiet and don't leave a mess then I see no reason why you shouldn't do it.

Personally I'd like to see no wind first thing in the morning, but perfect 3-4 foot glassy surf, then Force 4 from 10am-1pm for kitesurfing, followed by Force 6 all afternoon for windsurfing... Somehow I can't see that happening though.

As far as the board goes, I spoke to Andy at W&W yesterday, they haven't looked at it yet, but if it is ready in time then it would be cool if you could ferry it up for me... Cheers. I'll let you know when its ready.

70-80 hr weeks!!!! You must be raking it in, you'll be treeating yourself to some new toys next no doubt!

Rabbit.... Your plan sounds good.... hot showers might be a luxury that I won't have even if we are in our house by then, as we still won't have a cesspit for the water to drain into.

Will anyone be coming to Borth on the Friday, or any earlier?? If so I may book a day or two off myself.

Al.

Nick - 9-9-2003 at 16:11

I too lurk like Rabbit but rarely post. However, this get together sounds like fun...even better if boardwise do a demo. Who know's, my revolutionary Techno 283 wave board might get an outing too!

I've got a permit from Mrs Nick for a "windsurfing weekend" as well ......having not taken the boards on other family holidays this year. So I'm all set.

I'll make sure the weekend's kept free and come if the forecast looks good. Probably stay the Saturday night in Borth yha....budge up BEFS

Is there any evening entertainment planned?

in anticipation...

Nick

justal - 9-9-2003 at 17:40

Good to have you joining in the fun Nick. I know a few of you will wait and see what the forecast says before making up your minds for definite, but some of us will be here whatever the forecast. If the weather really is crap then I'm sure we'll find something to do anyway.

As far as evening 'entertainment' goes then we'll be meeting in the Friendship Inn in Borth, which can be a fairly 'entertaining' pub at the worst of times, but if the surf contest is going ahead then I'm sure there will be something strange going on in there anyway. If the weather is unseasonably nice then we might have a bit of a BBQ on the beach as well one evening.... We'll just play that one by ear though and see what happens.

Al.

Dave - 12-9-2003 at 22:11

It's a fair cop BEFS, and I promise not to mention non-FON sports in future

But I will be there on 4th/5th - that is here not Old Trafford - doh! - I failed already

see you all then

Nick - 15-9-2003 at 15:20

So what's the score with Boardwise then ... are they coming or not?

justal - 15-9-2003 at 18:21

No one knows.... I've phoned and asked them and no-one there seemed to know anything about a demo day!!

I think they might just turn up one weekend with a van load of stuff if theres wind forecast, but at the moment it doesn't look as though there are any proper plans. I haven't phoned in the last week or so though, so that could all have changed.

Al.

Al Jackson - 16-9-2003 at 19:41

Hi everyone,

I just joined so thats why you haven't seen me up here before. I was hoping to make it there on the Saturday and stay overnite, but not sure about accommodation.

Will the YHA hostel be Ok with me rinsing out my wetsuit in the showers and hanging it up to dry?

justal - 16-9-2003 at 19:51

It looks as though there should be a few people here for the weekend of the 4th-5th Oct., and it sounds as though many of them haven't been to Borth before, so heres some more info and a very rough sketch map of where to find us.

Location 1
Lifeboat Station.
Park in the car park next to the RNLI station. This location is right in the southern corner of the beach, and is good for surfing as the cliffs tend to protect the waves from any SW winds. Its also the best place for windsurfing (wave-sailing) in a strong SW wind (Force 6+). If the Borth Surf Contest goes ahead on the 4th-5th, then this is the most likely venue for it, so our windsurfing and kiting acivities may be restricted slightly here, but don't worry theres plenty of action further up the beach.

Location 2
Golf Course Car Park
From Borth, head North along the straight coast road with the golf course either side of you. The road then bends sharply to the right, don't go around the bend, but go straight on and immediately after the bus stop on the triangle is the entrance to the Golf Course Car Park (on your left). Theres a 2.1m height restriction, so if any of you have vans taller than this, let me know and I can arrange to meet you with a key. Once in the car park, head to the far northern end as this is where we normally park as there is a nice grassy rigging area sheltered from the wind. Also, the groynes on the beach end here too.
The Golf Course Car Park is one of the most likely places we'll be, (unless there is any Easterly in the wind). Its excellent for windsurfing, kite-surfing, surfing and land-based sports such as kite-buggying etc. If theres no wind and a decent swell running, then this is probably the best part of the beach for surfing too.

Location 3
Ynyslas Estuary.
From the triangle with the entrance to the Golf Course Car Park, follow the road to the North until you emerge on the sands of the estuary. Park anywhere on the sands, but I'd advise you to stay close to the dunes as the sand elsewhere can be very soft.
This is where we're likely to be if there is any easterly in the wind as under these wind directions, the wind is accelerated down through the Dovey Valley and creates perfect bump and jump conditions. Again, perfect for windsurfing, kite-surfing and land-based sports. We may also sail from here if theres an absolutely honking Westerly wind blowing and its high tide. Under these conditions, it becomes almost impossible to launch on the seafront so we sail from here and head out through the channel to the sea and sail between the dunes of Ynyslas and the surf break of Graveyards on the Aberdovey side of the estuary.

I think that covers where we'll be, (feel free to point out anything I've missed). I'll be on the beach from fairly early (very early if the conditions are good). I may take the Friday off as well, will anyone be here then?

Finally, in the evenings we'll be in the Friendship Inn in Borth. Theres only 3 pubs so you should be able to find the Friendship easily enough.

Post here if you have any questions, and start praying for wind/surf.

Al.

Gmac - 17-9-2003 at 10:51

Really miffed that I will miss this one. (In Canada...) So maybe next time.

Make sure there are lots of Photos so that I can sulk over them when I get back.

Jonah - 17-9-2003 at 19:21

Intend to come over 4-5 Oct but will have to check the forcast closer to the date as not too much time available due to family commitments and work. Itwill probably be Sat. morning and will have to find somewhere to camp before nightfall.

It remains to be seen whether the loop gets attempted or not, at the moment sat here I am feeling confident, but that soon seems to change on the water!!!

ajdesq - 19-9-2003 at 17:01

Just for 't record, I hope to be getting there a few days early next Monday - (29th?) and shall check out the camping options and report back... if someone will let me use his phone socket/Network whatever

justal - 21-9-2003 at 07:11

ajdesq.... we are planning on moving into our new house on the weekend of 27-28th, so if all goes to plan, and if BT have got their act together and theres a phone line installed etc. by then, then you can have a go on my computer to post some info if you like.

Have you still got my mobile number so that you can let me know when you arrive?... If theres wind forecast for that week I might take a day or two off to sail with you! I might have to save myself for the BIG weekend though.

Al.

qualigs - 22-9-2003 at 12:57

How's things aL.

Unfortunately not going to make the October trip as not allowed hols from work till after christmas! Haven't done any surfing for ages now so hopefully the winter weather will provide some good surf here. Hope the house is comming on good. See you soon
Jam

Nick - 22-9-2003 at 20:02

Al,

Just happened to be browsing the Boardwise website http://www.boardwise.co.uk/ and it looks like they're planning a Borth demo the following weekend 11/12 Oct.

Might be worth getting in touch with them to see if they'd bring it forward a week... may well be in their interest too.

Any way I'll leave that decision to you.... it's not my party!

Cheers

Nick

justal - 22-9-2003 at 20:23

Yeah, AndyW has pointed that out to me as well. I think they only put it on their site yesterday.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow, but I've phoned them a few times about it already and they were always completely disorganised. I'll see what they say though. As you say, it could be in their interests as well.... especially if it looks set to be windy for the 4th & 5th.

Al.

AndyW - 23-9-2003 at 10:02

I guess it depends when the importers can turn up and bring all the kit. Its not just Boardwise bringing their demo trailer!

But it is bad timing on their part. Best talk to Ian or Doug for any info.

justal - 23-9-2003 at 18:28

Yep, I spoke to Doug today. He sounded pretty disappointed that they had timed it wrongly, but I have told them 3 times when the F-O-N meeting was, so its their own fault really.

Doug did day he'd come along on the 4-5th weekend anyway, so thats one more person to add to the fun!

Al.

micky skinner - 24-9-2003 at 21:02

Hi all, two day old member here. Myself, my pals and our girls will be coming over to Borth on the 4th-5th from Brum. At the moment we are non surfers but hope to change that very soon. Where abouts will you guys be at the comp? anyway we may see you there.

Micky.

justal - 25-9-2003 at 06:03

Hi Micky... it all depends on the conditions really. Many of the F-O-N people coming for the 4-5th weekend are windsurfers as well as surfers, so if theres wind most of us will probably be somewhere else along the beach windsurfing or kitesurfing most of the time. I'm sure we'll all take a look in at the surf competition if its happening though.

If you're going to have a go at surfing whilst you're here, you'd probably be better getting in the water away from the competition area as well... Unless of course you;re going to enter the competition!

We are most likely to be based at the Golf Course Car Aprk end of the beach, but it does depend a little on the conditions. (take a look at the post with the map in it earlier in this thread.)

When you find us, come and introduce yourself.. Its going to be quite interesting putting faces to all the names at last.

Al.

micky skinner - 25-9-2003 at 10:39

I dont think we'll be entering the comp, none of us have even been on a board in water yet! but what we hope to do that weekend is go to AOA Surf School for lessons up at Porth Neigwl (Hell's Mouth) if we can get a place. Do you know the guy's up there, I found the info on the westcoastsurf site?

Micky

raven22 - 25-9-2003 at 12:41

I am thinking of coming over from Manchester for the Borth weekend. Don't know anybody though and if I am on my own then look out for me (tall, long blond hair, female, etc) as I have just started to get into windsurfing and would like to meet loads of other surfers. Probably be staying in the Youth Hostel or camping if others are coming along. You might also see me on my crappy Hifly board. Anyway, just thought i'd let people know that i'll probably be making up the numbers.
See ya there!
Emma.

SinistaPenguin - 25-9-2003 at 12:50

It looks like parking might be difficult then, there are loads of people going!

Good to see that there are so many people going. I'm only going to make it for a day trip and don't know if it'll be sat or sun.

Someone should make an F-O-N flag to fly on the beach so everyone can find each other!

SeanBo - 25-9-2003 at 12:51

quote:
Originally posted by raven22
...look out for me (tall, long blond hair, female, etc) as I have just started to get into windsurfing Emma.

Got a funny feeling that this fairly male orientated site may just get a bit excited about a post like this.....

AndyW - 25-9-2003 at 14:21

With you on that one SeanBo!

And I don't think we''ll need a flag on the beach, just follow the crowd.

Lucky the Golf Course car park is quite large.

Check out Al's posts for a map.

raven22 - 25-9-2003 at 14:28

Well I could carry on with my description but I don't want people to not talk to me cos they are disappointed when they see me in the flesh. Besides, I haven't even said how old I am- I could be 96!! (I'm not by the way). The beauty of computers.
Emma

Dave - 25-9-2003 at 16:10

WOW - there's going to ba loads of people on the beach, looking forward to meeting you all.

I think Al's Blue Transit van might be a focal point.

[Edited on 25-9-2003 by Dave]

SinistaPenguin - 25-9-2003 at 16:11

Raven, are you calling yourself the 'beauty of computers'?

Nick - 25-9-2003 at 16:24

message for Micky Skinner re earlier post...

Hells Mouth is fricking miles/hours away from Borth!

cheers

Nick

ps when did you give up the rugby? Much admired that tackle on the French guy all those years ago (Monsier Condom wasn't it?)
pps anyone coming on the Friday? I've provisionally book a days leave and will come early if the forecast is good.

micky skinner - 25-9-2003 at 18:54

No, No, I'm not that Micky Skinner, and I'm not the Mike Skinner: NASCAR driver or the Mike Skinner: rapper from 'The Streets', I'm just Micky Skinner from Brum.
Me and my pals are around for the weekend so we won't mind the drive up the coast, I was just wondering if anyone knew the guys up there and if the surf schools any good.
Cheers for the name recognition anyway, I just wish I had the money all those guys have got!

Micky

justal - 25-9-2003 at 19:17

Phew... So many posts!!

Raven... I shoudn't worry about not knowing anyone. The 'tall, long blond hair, female, etc)' seems to have excited most F-O-N members already. You'll soon fit in with the crowd. I don't know half of the people coming along yet either, so even if the wind isn't great we should have some fun meeting all the people who post here.

Whoever mentioned the flag... I was thinking about it, but thought it might by a little too presumptuous. If I get time next week I might print up a few 'T'-shirts though.. I'll work on a flag for the next meeting.

Micky... As far as I know the Hells Mouth surf school is pretty good. I haven't been there myself, but the surf scene up there is pretty cool, and West Cost Surf is a reputable shop.

Nick... I'll be here on Friday, as I think will ajdesq and Dave, so you won't be alone.

Glad theres gonna be lots of people around, Lets just hope theres some wind / waves or else we're all just going to sit on the beach whingeing. Maybe we should think of some no wind and no waves alternatives just in case.... Maybe a gorge walk??!!

Al.

badexcuseforasailor - 25-9-2003 at 21:45

I just had a bit of a count up and make the number of people coming about 30 give or take a few

Is there enough room in the pub

Gmac - 26-9-2003 at 13:12

Quote from AL:
----------------------------
Maybe we should think of some no wind and no waves alternatives just in case.... Maybe a gorge walk??!!
------------------------------

Just because I can't make it. Don't make it worse for me.... This weekend just sounds better and better... I hope you have a great time.

[Edited on 26-9-2003 by Gmac]

justal - 28-9-2003 at 06:57

I guess its time to start thinking about what the weathers going to do.... Or shall we just ignore the weather forecasts this week and see what happens when we're actually on the beach as thats the only way to be accurate about it.

Mind you, if the forecasts stay as they are (very unlikely), then we certainly won't be complaining... This is the windguru forecast this week and the weekend.

Al.

Spencer - 28-9-2003 at 17:42

...lets hope!!!!

badexcuseforasailor - 28-9-2003 at 18:48

I nearly bought a second hand 4.5 sail today
But I thought better of it I wouldn't want to be blamed for spoiling the wind for everyone just bought some down haul instead

micky skinner - 28-9-2003 at 20:10

Hi Al,

Was just wondering if you (or anyone) knew anything regarding accomadation in the area, either B+B's, caravan's etc... I called Brynowen Park Resort today but they said there was "no room at the inn"! We don't have access to tents and my mates son is only 12 months old so camping wouldn't really be suitable. I'm having trouble locating much on-line, so anything anyone knows would be great! We don't mind if accomadation is a few miles away, just anywhere closer than the Hyatt in Brimingham!

Thanks guys,

Micky

justal - 29-9-2003 at 05:52

Micky...

I've never used any of these myself as I've had no need to, but heres a list of possibilities to get you started:

A Fron Caravan Park
Borth
SY24 5LR Tel: 01970 611200

Brynrodyn Caravan and Leisure park
Borth
SY24 5NR Tel: 01970 871472

The Mill House Caravan Park
Dol-y-Bont
Borth
SY24 5LX Tel: 01970 871481

Ty Mawr Caravan Park
Ynyslas
Borth
SY24 5LB Tel: 01970 871327

Bryn Owen caravan site...pretty big, just down the road from the Lifeboat Station. (01970 871366)

Sea Rivers. Just down the road from the Estuary at Ynyslas. (01970 871399)

Pen Y Graig Farm Caravan Park. (01970 871717).

Glanlerry... This one is just outside of Borth and looks quite nice whenever I drive past it. (01970 871413)

Golden Sands... (01970 871440)

Cambrian Coast... Up by the Golf Course Car park so a nice little walk/stagger along the beach to/fromthe pub.

I think thats it for caravan sites.

Now for some B&B's etc.

Picnic
High Street, Borth, Ceredigion, SY24 5JP.
Phone: 01970 871346 Fax: 0870 1287114 (From £17.50 per night)

Grosvenor
Borth, SY24 5JS
01970 871459

Glanmor Hotel
01970 871689

Pebbles
01970 871362

Maesteg B & B
Borth Dyfed
SY24 5JP
Tel: 01970 871928

That should give you something to work with! I have heard of them all, and found the contact info for them all on the web, so don't blame me if any of the numbers are wrong!! Thats probably about it for Borth, and if you have no joy there, then Aberystwyth has hundreds of places and is only about 8 miles south of Borth.

Al.

SinistaPenguin - 29-9-2003 at 08:25

Al

Looking at these posts, there seem to be a lot of us surfers planning on coming down at the weekend. Any chance you could add some swell conditions to your report as we near the end of the week?

Cheers!

micky skinner - 29-9-2003 at 09:55

Cheers Al,

I'm sure (hope) we'll be able to get something from that lot

Micky

Nick - 29-9-2003 at 15:54

I've just booked a room in the Picnic B&B on Saturday night and they still had spare rooms ..... is anyone else staying there? Apparently it's pretty close to the pub...which is nice!

The windguru forecast for the weekend looks promising at the moment .... in fact it's suggesting a f5-7 all weekend!

Unlike certain individuals, who shall remain nameless, I won't be tempting fate by buying any new high wind kit.....but BEFs ...if, for whatever reason I should find myself needing lots of downhaul, can I borrow some of yours! ;-)

Cheers

Nick

Rabbit - 29-9-2003 at 16:59

Looks like it should be a good weekend, Have booked Monday off to recover,
Looking forward to it!
May need to get some sand pegs for my tent!
Rob

[Edited on 29-9-2003 by Rabbit]

justal - 30-9-2003 at 05:58

I need some downhaul too if any one has a few lengths I could buy off them while they're here... you can't get it around here!

Sinista, the surf isn't looking too good for the weekend at the moment, but I'll keep you informed should that change. It does look as though the wind may be more westerly than first thought though, which if it is as strong as the forecasts are currently predicting, should push up some waves for the surfers / bodyboarders to at least play on.

Al.

Rabbit - 30-9-2003 at 13:02

Al, I have had a look at the map, Where is the frienship pub? Just trying to get the prioritorys in order, you did say that you can camp in the sand dunes, would that include camp fires?

SinistaPenguin - 30-9-2003 at 13:41

Even a couple of feet would suffice, I'm desperate to try out my new wetsuit and get my brother in law back in the water.

It might spice things up for you windsurfers too!

I caught some windsurfing on Extreme sports this morning, and man has it changed from when I last tried.

There was a guy doing a kind of 180 'ollie' and then into some wierd kind of gybe, it was awesome!

ajdesq - 30-9-2003 at 17:09

Yeah, I always have to be first...

No wind today, but good to get me bearings. And I managed to escape from Al's before getting a paintbrush shoved into my hand.

Friendship Pub? Found it in 2 nanoseconds, it's on the main seafront drag through Borth, you can't miss it. Looks nice from the outside.

Wouldn't like to comment on fires in the dunes... I guess if camping is officially banned then I'd imagine the same goes for fires, non? Besides, not sure what you'd find wood wise to burn, and I don't think the environmental people would be so chuffed. But officially - I dunno.

As for campsites: Mill House is closed, Glanlerry (GBP10.50/night inc electric hook-up) looks OK from the outside, and the others that are open all look like a cross between Maplins & Static Caravans R Us.

If you're a member of the Camping & caravanning club (or even if you're not, the farmer doesn't seem too worried) then I recommend the Certificated Site at Llwyn Farm, MR 135/638892. From A487 at Taliesin, take Dolybont Rd (W) at 30mph sign. Follow narrow lane for 2 miles, site on right. Look for small sign.

A bit of a pig to get to, 10 mins drive to Borth, the field is full of sheep poo, there's no wc, shower, or mains hook-ups...just a water tap and a chemical loo discharge place.

But the farmer is very friendly, he will charge your leisure battery, it costs only 4 pounds a night, and as for the view, check out the attached pic.

See y'all this weekend,
Andrew

Rabbit - 30-9-2003 at 19:08

Wow
Looks like I have got th wrong end of the stick about the camping thing, never mind I'm sure I'll think of some thing hopefully near the pub!
Watch out! Dont go straining your self with them paint brush things... Deadly.

Jonah - 30-9-2003 at 20:28

Jonah - 30-9-2003 at 20:34

just checked forcast and will be there . Won't be there till sat morn. Will be camping somewhere but won't be looking till sat evening by the looks of the forcast. Maybe someone on saturday will be able to advise. Can bring plenty of firewood if required

justal - 1-10-2003 at 05:28

Rabbit... As ajdesq says... you'll be able to find the friendship. Theres really only one road in Borth, and its on that, on the opposite side to the sea!! Its pretty small and blue, but not difficult to find.

Camping. You should be fine in the dunes, although it isn't officially allowed of course. You'll be fine with a fire too. There will also be tonnes of firewood along the beach.. Its what we will be using to heat our house!!!

Forecast is still looking good for the weekend, although not so good for the surfers. And of course things could change in the next couple of days.

Its pretty windy out there at the mo, with decent NE's forecast today, so ajdesq should get out on the water in the estuary today.

Angry_Apple - 1-10-2003 at 06:33

So,
the Surf comp is still on then? I dont know much about it but I live v. close by and I heard that the Surf Comp wasnt on due to insurance problems? Oh well,
Angry_Apple

AndyW - 1-10-2003 at 11:11

I'll be arriving Saturday morning.

Booked into the Railway for Saturday night. I think the Railway is very close to the Friendship if my memory is right.

ajdesq, Looks like your going to get a couple of days in the estuary with an easterley!

Lets hope the forecast holds for the weekend.

micky skinner - 1-10-2003 at 14:51

Hi Al,

Thanks for all that info regarding accommodation you listed, but unfortunatley I called all the caravan parks and they all said they were fully booked! I thought this was quite odd as all I asked for was 'Any accommodation for this weekend' and all I got back was 'No sorry, were fully booked!'. They didn't even enquire how many would be in my party!

I left it a day and got my girlfriend to call, and guess what, the first site had a caravan for 6 adults and a child. She phoned another and they also had room? Do the caravan park proprietors know of a certain surf comp and not want the likes of us staying at their establishments? Surely not, it must have just been a mistake!

Anyway, were booked in now and looking forward to meeting up with you guys this weekend!

See you then,

Micky

Nick - 1-10-2003 at 19:42

Al - if the forecast stays good I'm coming on Friday. Any chance of a local weather report early on Friday AM? Judging by your posts you either get up at that time anyway...or your PC clock's knack'ed!

p.s. are there any cash machines in Borth?... or will I need to stop at the place up the road I can neither pronounce or spell

p.p.s everyone keep saying those wind prayers!

Spencer - 1-10-2003 at 20:04

Hi all,Looking foward to getting to Borth friday,hoprfully intime for a sail if the winds up? The forcast does seem rather encouraging... Got my hands on an old Tiga wave today(courtesy of a good guy called Ray) as havnt made my mind up as to what newish wave board to get.
Havnt sailed since early july so cant wait & will be good to meet some new people (windsurfers).
Hey Al all this started when i said i would come up for a sail the next time it was windy,back in June/July time.... since which there hasnt been any decent wind & ive been working stupid hours to save for New van,new kit,new baby shortly arriving etc.etc..
Spence
see ya all the W/end..

ajdesq - 1-10-2003 at 20:54

About to enter the diary about a great sesh today

Mickey - in my 'Sites' book many of the local campsites expressly state that no single sex groups etc will be welcome. Nice huh? Of course, we ALL wear football shirts & drink 10 pints of lager every night don't we? And as for the blokes...

Not spotted a cash machine yet, and the nearest Tescos is bloomin miles away... I'll recommend y'all come prepared

Appears to be a million statics and rooms to rent here... believe me, I don't think anyone will end up sleeping in their car if they don't book ahead.

See y'all soon!

Andrew

justal - 2-10-2003 at 06:16

Nick... Theres ALWAYS an early morning wind and weather update on the home page. I usually put it on there at about 6.30ish along with a 3 day forecast.

I think theres a cash machine in the Mace in Borth, and the Spar will give cashback. If not, theres a Link machine in the Spar in Bow Street, and both Aberysytwyth and Machynlleth have cash points too.

Angry.. The surf contest is off, not because of insurance reasons, but because Borth Surf Club didn't ever get around to organising it. Which is a bit silly really, as theres not really any other reason for having a surf club here unless they organise such things.

Things are still looking good for the weekend, and it looks as though there will be quite a few more people around for this one than there have been for previous FON meetings... Can't wait to meet you all.

Al.

justanna - 2-10-2003 at 07:47

Looks like there will be plenty of people around for the weekend. I hope the weather /wind picks up for you all. If not I'll have to arrange some extreme painting to keep you all busy.

There is a new cash machine at Mace in Borth (I don't think it's called Mace anymore but there's a big sign about the cash machine!) and one at the Spar in Bow Street.

Aberystwyth is about 10miles away for anything you can't get in Borth. my on;y warning is about the milk in Borth. Every shop gets their milk from the Borth Milk-lady and quite often it's gone off before you even open it so my advice is to pick some up on the way through Bow Street or from the garage at Tre-Ddol.

See you all at the weekend
Anna

PS Nice to meet you ajdesq and put a face to a 'name'

hhr02 - 2-10-2003 at 15:10

Sorry to be (an environmentalist) grump but officially camping and fires are not allowed in the dunes. I have no problem with camping but there have been issues with fires in the past. The dune area is a fragile ecosystem and fires spread quickly. Please be careful and put out all ashes. If you do have a fire make sure it's in a sandy patch or on the beach where you will get a lovely view of the sun setting. Hope you all have fun and there is some wind (not had any for ages...)!

Rabbit - 2-10-2003 at 17:21

Hey no worries, kinda fond of the enviroment myself but i do like to keep warm. would it be a safer bet on the beach then, after all I don't want to endanger any life form, Particulally th especies known as "terram vellis scend abacus".

Does any body know if that would be the correct term for a windsurfer?(Latin)

justal - 3-10-2003 at 06:12

I did think that after I posted... Fires are fine as long as you are sensible. In fact, its probably best to have your fire on top of the pebble ridge, rather than in the dunes themselves... Theres more firewood close by then as well, and you can watch the sea / sunset easier.

A part of the dunes did catch fire earlier in the year and the fire-brigade were called out to it... be sensible!!

On another note, theres no wind at the moment, but it should pick up later today and be OK for tomorrow. Although not as good as first forecast... As usual the stronger winds are now forecast for the middle of next week... Mind you, there ALWAYS seems to be strong winds forecast for about 4 days time.

We'll go to the Firendship tonight, so those that are coming along today, we'll meet you in there if we haven't already seen you on the beach...

I had a nice little kite-surf session here yesterday as well!!

Al.

raven22 - 3-10-2003 at 20:46

Just thought I'd let everyone that I will definately be there tomorrow morning. I am staying in the Youth Hostel as I am on my own and it is a bit too cold to camp when you have nobody else to keep you warm. Anyway, I will be in the pub tomorrow night and you cant miss me as I have a tattoo of pisces on my right shoulder... Somebody better talk to me . Won't be surfin either as I am comin on the train
See you all there.
Emma.

justal - 4-10-2003 at 06:05

Emma.... I'm sure someone would be willing to keep you warm... If you kept them warm in return of course.

I could probably find you an old surfboard that you could use too if you want.

Things have been good so far. Wedsnesday saw AJDESQ, Dave, Sarah and myself in the estuary with 4.5-5m sails. Thursday was an excellent kite-surf session in the estuary and then Friday
was a really good windsurf session for me, ajdesq, Nick and Steve, and a kite-surf session for me, Derek, Simon and Mike. We then met Spencer, Paul and Rabbit in the Friendship later in the evening.

its also pretyy windy here at the mo... Looks like it could be a good day. See you all in a while

Al.

justal - 5-10-2003 at 07:48

Well, we couldn't really have asked for better weather on Satudary. 20-30 knot NW winds (with some mad gusts in the afternoon reaching close to 40 knots). The sea wsn't too rough, so those not used to sailing on the sea were able to have a go on the seafron before heading off to the estuary where it was just as windy, but a lot less lumpy. from all accounts those in the estuary had a good time (I'll let them tell you themselves about their own individual acheivements... Go on, BEFS, tell us all about it again!!).

Those that stayed on the seafront also had a good time, and judging by the slow start in the pub in the evening, everyone was suitably exhausted, I certainly was. Things aren't looking so good for today, but it might pick up enough for some kiting later in the day. There was a good turnout yesterday though, and I hope you all had a good time... I did.

Al.

Rabbit - 5-10-2003 at 17:53

Thank to everone who got me out of the sand,
Had a great time, but had to leave early sat night, sorry couldn't stay.
Perhaps I'll be down for the Boardwise event.
Good to put faces to names.

justal - 6-10-2003 at 05:47

No worries Rabbit...we did wonder where you had got to.

Sunday turned out OK in the end too. It dawned windless so quite a few people left early. But the wind started filling in at around midday and Steve, Befs, Stevebus, Ian, AndyW and a couple of others went out sailing with big kit. Jonah rigged up, but was having truck troubles and didn't actually get in the water. I went out kitesurfing, but didn't stay out long as I was pretty exhausted from the last few days.

Everyone left at around 4.30pm, just as the wind really filled in and I just couldn't help but go out again. This time with a 5.7m sail and 80 litre board. It was Ok for about half an hour, but then the wind really filled in and I was completely overpowered. By the time I'd got off the water and packed up, it was gusting to 45 knots and I would have been overpowered even with my 3.4m sail!!

All in all a pretty good weekend I reckon.. Time for some rest and recuperation now before the next wekend away.

Al.

AndyW - 7-10-2003 at 09:11

Well, I think a collective big thank you to Al is in order for organising the weekend.

The wind gods were smiling on us and I know that I had a good time. My arms are still aching now.

It was good to meet so many people out there. Its always better to sail with other people in the water.

It was another sand storm in the estuary, it took a bit of time to get all the sand off my kit. I gave up without even trying to hoover the car!

Dave - 7-10-2003 at 09:29

It was nice to meet you all, see you again soon.....

AndyW - 7-10-2003 at 11:11

Dave, how about next Sunday at the Boardwise demo!

Lets hope for more wind and managable conditions.

Dave - 7-10-2003 at 11:29

I'll be there - I want to have a go on lots of kit as I need to update most of my kit.
(my board is way too big for a start)

Hopefully the conditions won't be quite so challenging.

Nick - 7-10-2003 at 11:33

Yep thanks from me as well Al. I had a great time. I'll certainly be up for another FON get together....maybe in the spring....might even camp!

Really nice pub too.....regular lock-ins and Gandalf pulling your pint.... what more could you ask for!

Cheers

Nick

Jonah - 7-10-2003 at 23:20

Exellent re-introduction to the sea! Good to meet people into windsurfing ! Arrived too late on Sat ...everyone was out on the water, met people later on and on Sun morning...good crack. RAC man said not to turn the engine off until I got back home ... so that is y I just had to go as the wind was filling in. Bit of a pisser not being able to get to the pub on Sat nite. Will be back

justal - 10-10-2003 at 07:13

Glad you all had a good time... I Did too. Hopefully I'll see some of you this weekend for the Boardwise Demo as well, although the forecast doesn't look great for wind.

We'll definitely be organising more trips come the spring (Gower, pembrokeshire, North Wales, and hopefully some further afield too). I may even try to organise a get together in November (Probably in Pembrokeshire) if anyone is up for it??

Jonah... I take it your truck is OK now??

Al.

Spencer - 10-10-2003 at 16:55

Hi M8, Pembroke in Nov. sounds good...my new job is continental shift so have to work every other weekend now . but more time off in the week.but if theres a reasonable forcast for a w/end im off ill be there-Newgale maybe?
Spence.

Jonah - 12-10-2003 at 07:39

Further trips sound good, made a change sailing with quite a few other people. I'll try to get to Borth on a more regular basis when time allows but will have to think about gettin a lower volume board as well.

Truck is being repaired as I write so should be mobile again soon

ajdesq - 13-10-2003 at 21:11

What a top weekend!

Good to meet everyone.

Cheers Al!