Board logo

Weather Station Direction Vane
justal - 8-3-2014 at 17:12

Just thought I'd let oyu knw that I've just risked life and limb up the telegrpah pole to check on the anemometer.... I'm sure it wasn;t that high or wobbly last time I went up there, but I suppose I was 10 years younger back then as well!

The Wind direction vane is indeed stick pretty firmly and I couldn't get it loosened. I have emailed the manufacturers to see if they can tell me how to sort it out, if not I shall order a new anemometer.. They cost around £160.

Al.

alistair - 8-3-2014 at 19:53

Good to hear you survived - hopefully it can be sorted. If not you could just arrange for a steady SW

justal - 31-5-2014 at 17:46

I've been up the pole again today but was unsuccessful at fixing the direction vane on the weather station.

Time to save up for a new one I guess... I'll see if I can order a new one later today.

Al.

justal - 1-6-2014 at 05:21

You'll be pleased to hear I've ordered a new anemometer for the weather station - £159!

Hopefully it'll arrive soon and I'll be able to shimmy up the pole again to replace it.

Al.

alistair - 1-6-2014 at 17:06

Great! It will be good to know which way the wind is blowing - though fixing the wind to be a good steady cross-shore would have been a fine alternative

justal - 1-6-2014 at 19:32

Yep.... Maybe I'll just forget about it and set up a static weather station page that says 25 knots SW all the time... And 25¬?C and sunny too.

While I'm at it I may as well make it Saturday afternoon all the time as well!

Al.

col123 - 2-6-2014 at 11:22

while your up there can you shoot that bloody tweety blackbird.

or feed him to your bees!

justal - 2-6-2014 at 15:20

Haha.... He is quite tuneful at 4:30am isn't he!

Al.

col123 - 2-6-2014 at 16:01

maybe if you train him to tweet when the winds blowing i wouldn't mind,

the misses says i can have a crossbow for christmas!!!!

justal - 15-6-2014 at 16:04

You'll be pleased to hear I've spent most of the afternoon up the telegraph pole fixing the weather station. Hopefully it is all working again now and fingers crossed it'll stay that way for another 10 years as I can't afford close to £200 if it breaks again and that pole seems to get higher and more wobbly each time I go up it! Either that or I'm getting older.

It was quite breezy at the top of it today as well!

Let me know if you notice anything odd with the station though, but hopefully it is once again reading as it should be, complete with wind direction as well as speed.

Al.

alistair - 15-6-2014 at 16:26

Great! Now we need some good wind to check it out

chase - 15-6-2014 at 16:49

Seams ok. Just left the beach was about 15knt wnw, so that would tie in with northerly not picking up that great and use the gust reading as the average.