Board logo

SUGGESTIONS NEEDED !!! new van, surfing 'n' 4 kids (+ dog soon also)
surfermick - 4-8-2006 at 19:54

Help !

Got 4 sprogs, a surf widow wife (who wants a german shepard dog, but thats another story) like four or five trips a year to Cornwall and anywhere else i can get to the rest of the year.

live in Cumbria - so has to be able to travel the miles without expensive servicing or fuel costs.

Any suggestions, 2nd hand or new?

Many thanks - please post as my Merc V-class is ready for retirement.

shem - 4-8-2006 at 22:32

Renault traffic or Long wheel base Mercades Vito. That vito is sweet, Id love one!!!!

justal - 5-8-2006 at 07:52

I'm thinking about a new vehicle too... My tranny is getting a little rusty these days. Not sure whether to get another LWB van, or a crew-cab so that I have a few more seats (for the family) along with a trailer to keep my kit in...

Decisions, decisions.... Maybe even a people carrier type thing in conjunction with a trailer.... Trouble is if I had an enclosed trailer I'd then want to move the stove, bed etc from the van into it and then I have a makeshift caravan which can't be cool!!

No doubt finances will be the deciding factor though and I'll end up sticking with my rusty old transit for a while yet.

Al.

surfermick - 5-8-2006 at 08:34

I'm thinking that a van with crew cab seating plus a large(ish) empty space in the back is going to be the best bet - ALthough I do like to look of these Mazda Bongo's that are getting about these days - I think they are grey imports from Japan.

Does anyone out here have one, or got any advice about them?

col123 - 5-8-2006 at 09:51

mazda bongos are heavy on fuel, about 22mpg, but they do look quite useful

what you need is my VW t25 hightop van running on lpg yours for £4250.00

chris - 5-8-2006 at 15:44

should be getting a T5 sooooon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fingers crossed

justal - 5-8-2006 at 21:13

Actually, on 2nd thoughts I could stop going to work and then I wouldn't need a vehicle (other than my wheelbarrow to get my boards to the beach).

Al.

ajdesq - 5-8-2006 at 22:13

My vote's the LWB Trafic. I've got the 140 version, and with a light foot you can get about 35-40mpg. Plenty of space and looks funky.

And as for your caravan comments Al:

www.ajdesq.com/caravan.htm

Just wait till you see the Airstream next week!

Andrew

justal - 6-8-2006 at 06:54

hehe... My comments about caravanning were aimed at you... I knew you wouldn't be able to resist!!

Al.

ajdesq - 6-8-2006 at 09:32

Dog...bone...dog...bone....