Author: Subject: FON beach meet 4/5th Oct
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 7-8-2003 at 06:40 Reply With Quote
FON beach meet 4/5th Oct

We're organising a Forces-of-Nature 'trip' to Borth for the weekend of October 4th-5th 2003. (we'll make it a long weekend if anyone can manage that.

As usual, everyone is welcome, bring all your toys, and hopefully we'll have some wind and waves so that we can use them.

I've decided to give you all plenty of warning this time so that we can hopefully get a decent number of people here. It means that we have no idea what the forecast will be, but it would be nice just to get us all together so that we can put some faces to the names from these forums.

If the weather isn't suitable we can always find something to do, and theres always the BBQ and pub options if all else fails!!... So put your name down and come along whatever the forecast throws at us closer to the time (it's bound to be wrong anyway!)

The plan will be to meet on the beach during the day, or in the Friendship pub (Borth) in the evening.

Let us know here if you'll be coming.

I'll post some general Borth info for those who don't know the place soon, and some accomodation info if anyone needs it.

Alternatively check this thread for some info.

Hope to see you all here for Oct 3rd-6th.

Al.

P.S. Sorry I haven't organised any trips away from Borth so far this year, but my van has been pretty much out of action as a travelling toybox as we don't have a house at the mo, so lots of stuff is stored in it, meaning theres no room for me and Anna!!

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 7-8-2003 at 18:38 Reply With Quote
Ive just booked Saturday night at the yha at borth. Would like to make it a long weekend but don't have anymore time to book off of work

Maybe I shall be feeling sick nearer the time

What are the tides doing that weekend Al?

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 7-8-2003 at 20:59 Reply With Quote
Tides are as follows:

Fri HT 2.25pm
Sat HT 4.10pm
Sun HT 5.40pm

They are all very small neap tides as well, so if theres wind we'll be able to sail all day from the seafront, or pretty much all day in the estuary too.

Al.

Joe
Pro

Member #: 27
Posts 76

Mood: hanging loose

posted on 8-8-2003 at 07:20 Reply With Quote
Hi everyone,

I would love to come to the Borth beach meet but cannot make it that weekend. Could we agree to appoint another weekend in October, say the 11th/12th?
I'm sure there's a lot more wind then, too

Joe

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 250
Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 8-8-2003 at 17:33 Reply With Quote
Yeah cool,im up for that, If we start praying to the Wind Gods now we should be alright
ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 9-8-2003 at 00:55 Reply With Quote
I don't know how to break this guys, but I'm coming too. I'm really sorry.

I know you'd like it to be windy, but I must give the place a go... Maybe you could all cancel out my wind jinx?

Will be bringing the caravan so guess I'll just find a site nearby. If there's any other Trailer Trash out there, let me know.

On the last thread there was a load of campsite choices. Has anyone checked them out in the meantime and can recommend one, or any to avoid??? I'll proabaly be making it quite a long weekend, maybe a week or so.

Laters!

Andrew

[Edited on 9-8-2003 by ajdesq]

[Edited on 9-8-2003 by ajdesq]

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 9-8-2003 at 04:16 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Hi everyone,

I would love to come to the Borth beach meet but cannot make it that weekend. Could we agree to appoint another weekend in October, say the 11th/12th?
I'm sure there's a lot more wind then, too

Joe

Joe, I'm easy, but the tides aren't so good that weekend. HT is at 9.30am and a pretty big tide too (5.1m), which would mean sailing from 7am if theres an Easterly and we're sailig in the estuary.... Not a problem for me, and its what we did last time, so I know its not a problem for some of the other guys. An evening session wouldn't be any good in the estuary either as sunset is around 6.30pm.

BEFS has already booked his accomodation for the 4th as well, so I guess if he'd rather change weekends and everyone else could make the 11th/12th as well then we could change the dates....

The other thing is, the 4th/5th coincides with the Borth Surf Competition... Not sure if this is a good thing or not. It will mean that there will be a few things going on both on the beach and in the pub, and that there will be quite a few surfers about (Some of them pretty good!). It will also mean that some of the F-O-N members could enter the competition if they so wished...

It could of course result in a conflict of interests if theres a big SW blowing and we want to windsurf from the Lifeboat Station, which in such conditions would be where they would hold the surf contest.

SO... We'll probably go for the 4/5th, unless a number of other people (including BEFS) would prefer the 11th/12th weekend.. Of course, you can still come along on the 11th/12th and I'll be around so we can enjoy the 'better winds'!!!

Let the people decide!

Al.

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Posts 846

posted on 9-8-2003 at 21:07 Reply With Quote
Ive booked hostel for 4/5 oct now. 11 /12 wouldn't be good for me with my shift parttern as it means going back to work at 5am on the Monday morning.

Should be good to see how proper surfers do it

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 10-8-2003 at 06:43 Reply With Quote
OK... It'll have to be the 4-5th then, as I said, the tides are better then anyway. I haven't decided whether or not to enter the surf competition myself yet.

Joe, you'll just have to come along on your own on the 11th-12th. Lets hope theres wind on both weekends..

For those of you still trying to decide, Borth is a 4 mile long sandy beach that faces west. The surf can be OK and sometimes really good, but the conditions for windsurfing, kitesurfing and land-based beach sports are perfect. The hard packed wide sandy beach is just excellent for kite-buggying, land-yatching etc. Windsurfing is possible in any wind direction, with SSW through to NNW being best on the seafront. These winds provide perfect bump and jump conditions or onshore wave-sailing conditions. If a big SW is blowing then it does get big and gnarly, but under such conditions we tend to sail from the Lifeboat Station at the south of the beach where the cliffs provide a little protection and the waves are smaller and cleaner.

Occasionally dead Southerly or Northerly winds provide cross-shore sailing. These (especially the southerlies) can be accompanied by waves, or can be fairly flat. SE winds can be OK and provide some cross-offshore wave-sailing on rare occassions, but the wind is often gusty. NE and Easterly winds are sailable on the sefront, but we tend to head to the estuary at Ynyslas in these wind directions as the valley there funnels the wind increasing it by at least 10 knots, and often more like 20 knots. It can often produce good 5m sailing conditions when everywhere is still. The water state in here is anything from mirrot smooth to mad confused chop.

Kitesurfing is possible from both the sea front or in the estuary.

Its rarely busy here, anythign more than 10 people on the water is unusual, and theres usually just one or two. There should be a few more people around on the 4-5th though due to the surf competition. (If you feel like entering there a prize draw of all entrants to win a weeks trip to Indonesia!!, along with contest prizes of boards, wetsuits etc.)

The town itself is fairly small and rarely busy. There are three pubs, a couple of general stores and lots of campsites to choose from. The Youth Hostel is pretty good for acommodation too.

Hope I've convinced you to come along.

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 10-8-2003 at 07:00 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ajdesq
Will be bringing the caravan so guess I'll just find a site nearby. If there's any other Trailer Trash out there, let me know.

On the last thread there was a load of campsite choices. Has anyone checked them out in the meantime and can recommend one, or any to avoid??? I'll proabaly be making it quite a long weekend, maybe a week or so.

Laters!

Andrew

Andrew, try getting hold of Stevebus (from these forums). He comes here fairly regularly with a motorhome that he parks up in a campsite each night. I'm not sure which one he uses though, but there are quite a few that welcome tourers. I'm not the best person to ask about such tings though as living here means I have little need to use a local caravan site.

Let me know closer to the time whether you'll be up the week before or the week after... I guess it depends on the weather forecast really... If theres wind I'll be able to arrange the odd session!

Al.

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Posts 214

posted on 17-8-2003 at 03:38 Reply With Quote
Hmmm... booking ain't my thang anyway. I'll prob turn up a week or so before, just pitch up somewhere then tell the world where it's at. Or not, as the case may be
SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 135
Posts 337

Mood: Optimistic!

posted on 17-8-2003 at 07:55 Reply With Quote
I'm not a booking person either, but when we went to Borth earlier this year we tried 4 sites before we found one that had space!

I suggest you at least get a list before you go so that you can easily drive from one to another when you get there.

Its a shame we probably won't be there as it would be interesting to get a first hand account of your travels whilst sat on the beach waiting for the wind, but then if you really are a wind jinx, maybe I am better staying at home

[Edited on 17-8-2003 by SeanBo]

Is there wind on the way??

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 337

posted on 17-8-2003 at 08:00 Reply With Quote
Yeeehhhaaaahhhhhh....i'm a force of nature!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just goes to show how little I have been sialing that I can post so much on here!

Al, why is there a * after force of nature? Don't tell me there is a star rating for those of us who are a FON

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 18-8-2003 at 05:41 Reply With Quote
Yep...well spotted. I added that yesterday morning. You're still a force-of-nature, but those with even more posts, get stars as well....

You'll also get another gold star as well, up to a total of 8!!. I thought 5 gold stars just wasn't enough for some of you!!

I didn't realise the campsites here were so busy. I know its quite busy at the moment, but it never really seems THAT busy either in town, on the roads or on the beach. I should imagine things will have eased off a bit by October as well, which of course means it may be worth phoning a few places just to make sure they are still open!

Al.

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Posts 214

posted on 20-8-2003 at 15:56 Reply With Quote
Does anyone know when half term is?

I'll book if it's half term, otherwise shannae bother. I'm in both caravan clubs so have a huge choice of 'certified' sites too. (yeah, roll on the jokes!)

I managed not to kill the wind in the Gorge so there is hope for Borth if I turn up. Just don't mention Nitnat!

You're at Poole, eh, Seanbo? I may just stop off on the way anyway, so look out. UK tour is 20/9-2/11.

Still, overheard one comment in the US to someone moaning about a bad session on a bad day with bad wind. Their mate listened, smiled, and simply said:

"That's windsurfing!"

There's more to life than KITESURFING!

Let me know when you find it.

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 337

posted on 20-8-2003 at 18:31 Reply With Quote
ajdesq

Let me know if/when you are coming to Poole and we can stand on the beach and complain about the lack of wind together

Sean

(PS 1st sprog due 7-9-03 so I may not be 100% reliable at the mo)

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 21-8-2003 at 21:16 Reply With Quote
I've just heard rumours that Boardwise may be joining us here in Borth on this weekend and having a demo day here.

I'm not sure if its true yet, but it should be pretty cool for us if they do as it will mean we can try out all the new kit and not even have to rig any of it ourselves!!!

Still bring all your own toys though just in case this information is false. I did phone them the other day asking if they could do a demo day here this year and I was told they weren't going to, but maybe they've changed their minds.

Is anyone else coming other than BEFS, Spencer and ajdesq?

Dazzamuffin told me on the beach that he'll be here, I take it Steve will be (if theres no important footbal match), and I assume Dave and 'Alex' will be here too. MartinF sounded interested in a recent e-mail as well, and if Boardwise do get a demo-day orgainsed for the same weekend then the place should be pretty busy.

I just hope we get as much wind as there is out there at the moment.

Al.

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Posts 846

posted on 21-8-2003 at 21:25 Reply With Quote
I don't have much luck with demo days and wind Ive yet to have any wind on a demo day lets hope this is the first.

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

MartinF
Pro

Worst Wipeout Award 2003

Member #: 72
Posts 79

Mood: needing time out

posted on 23-8-2003 at 21:07 Reply With Quote
Hi AL,

I've got the dates noted & intend to attend.

Any half decent, inexpensive B&B's around? May be too cool for a tent

Cheers,
Martin

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 24-8-2003 at 06:23 Reply With Quote
There are, but I've never actually stayed in any of them as I've never had the need to. Someone else may be able to tell you which ones they have experienced or are better than others.

I'll look up a list of them with phone numbers for you though and post them here. The other option which is apparently quite good is the youth Hostel which is where BEFS is staying. He'll tell you all about it as he stayed there last time.

It'll be good to see you again and lets hope that one day at Overcombe has broken our wind jinx!!

Al.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy