<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
Author: Subject: FON beach meet 4/5th Oct
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 9-9-2003 at 17:40 Reply With Quote
Good to have you joining in the fun Nick. I know a few of you will wait and see what the forecast says before making up your minds for definite, but some of us will be here whatever the forecast. If the weather really is crap then I'm sure we'll find something to do anyway.

As far as evening 'entertainment' goes then we'll be meeting in the Friendship Inn in Borth, which can be a fairly 'entertaining' pub at the worst of times, but if the surf contest is going ahead then I'm sure there will be something strange going on in there anyway. If the weather is unseasonably nice then we might have a bit of a BBQ on the beach as well one evening.... We'll just play that one by ear though and see what happens.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 15
Posts 388

Mood: Hey Ho

posted on 12-9-2003 at 22:11 Reply With Quote
It's a fair cop BEFS, and I promise not to mention non-FON sports in future

But I will be there on 4th/5th - that is here not Old Trafford - doh! - I failed already

see you all then

borth-rowing-club.org.uk
borthlifeboat.org.uk

Nick
Pro

Member #: 218
Posts 118

Mood: don't like winter.....too dark

posted on 15-9-2003 at 15:20 Reply With Quote
So what's the score with Boardwise then ... are they coming or not?
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 15-9-2003 at 18:21 Reply With Quote
No one knows.... I've phoned and asked them and no-one there seemed to know anything about a demo day!!

I think they might just turn up one weekend with a van load of stuff if theres wind forecast, but at the moment it doesn't look as though there are any proper plans. I haven't phoned in the last week or so though, so that could all have changed.

Al.

Al Jackson

Member #: 367
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 16-9-2003 at 19:41 Reply With Quote
Hi everyone,

I just joined so thats why you haven't seen me up here before. I was hoping to make it there on the Saturday and stay overnite, but not sure about accommodation.

Will the YHA hostel be Ok with me rinsing out my wetsuit in the showers and hanging it up to dry?

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 16-9-2003 at 19:51 Reply With Quote
It looks as though there should be a few people here for the weekend of the 4th-5th Oct., and it sounds as though many of them haven't been to Borth before, so heres some more info and a very rough sketch map of where to find us.

Location 1
Lifeboat Station.
Park in the car park next to the RNLI station. This location is right in the southern corner of the beach, and is good for surfing as the cliffs tend to protect the waves from any SW winds. Its also the best place for windsurfing (wave-sailing) in a strong SW wind (Force 6+). If the Borth Surf Contest goes ahead on the 4th-5th, then this is the most likely venue for it, so our windsurfing and kiting acivities may be restricted slightly here, but don't worry theres plenty of action further up the beach.

Location 2
Golf Course Car Park
From Borth, head North along the straight coast road with the golf course either side of you. The road then bends sharply to the right, don't go around the bend, but go straight on and immediately after the bus stop on the triangle is the entrance to the Golf Course Car Park (on your left). Theres a 2.1m height restriction, so if any of you have vans taller than this, let me know and I can arrange to meet you with a key. Once in the car park, head to the far northern end as this is where we normally park as there is a nice grassy rigging area sheltered from the wind. Also, the groynes on the beach end here too.
The Golf Course Car Park is one of the most likely places we'll be, (unless there is any Easterly in the wind). Its excellent for windsurfing, kite-surfing, surfing and land-based sports such as kite-buggying etc. If theres no wind and a decent swell running, then this is probably the best part of the beach for surfing too.

Location 3
Ynyslas Estuary.
From the triangle with the entrance to the Golf Course Car Park, follow the road to the North until you emerge on the sands of the estuary. Park anywhere on the sands, but I'd advise you to stay close to the dunes as the sand elsewhere can be very soft.
This is where we're likely to be if there is any easterly in the wind as under these wind directions, the wind is accelerated down through the Dovey Valley and creates perfect bump and jump conditions. Again, perfect for windsurfing, kite-surfing and land-based sports. We may also sail from here if theres an absolutely honking Westerly wind blowing and its high tide. Under these conditions, it becomes almost impossible to launch on the seafront so we sail from here and head out through the channel to the sea and sail between the dunes of Ynyslas and the surf break of Graveyards on the Aberdovey side of the estuary.

I think that covers where we'll be, (feel free to point out anything I've missed). I'll be on the beach from fairly early (very early if the conditions are good). I may take the Friday off as well, will anyone be here then?

Finally, in the evenings we'll be in the Friendship Inn in Borth. Theres only 3 pubs so you should be able to find the Friendship easily enough.

Post here if you have any questions, and start praying for wind/surf.

Al.

justal has attached this image:

Gmac
Beach Bum

Member #: 192
Posts 16

Mood: Frustrated by lack of water ti

posted on 17-9-2003 at 10:51 Reply With Quote
Really miffed that I will miss this one. (In Canada...) So maybe next time.

Make sure there are lots of Photos so that I can sulk over them when I get back.

Jonah
Grommet

Member #: 39
Posts 14

Mood:

posted on 17-9-2003 at 19:21 Reply With Quote
Intend to come over 4-5 Oct but will have to check the forcast closer to the date as not too much time available due to family commitments and work. Itwill probably be Sat. morning and will have to find somewhere to camp before nightfall.

It remains to be seen whether the loop gets attempted or not, at the moment sat here I am feeling confident, but that soon seems to change on the water!!!

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 19-9-2003 at 17:01 Reply With Quote
Just for 't record, I hope to be getting there a few days early next Monday - (29th?) and shall check out the camping options and report back... if someone will let me use his phone socket/Network whatever

There's more to life than KITESURFING!

Let me know when you find it.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 21-9-2003 at 07:11 Reply With Quote
ajdesq.... we are planning on moving into our new house on the weekend of 27-28th, so if all goes to plan, and if BT have got their act together and theres a phone line installed etc. by then, then you can have a go on my computer to post some info if you like.

Have you still got my mobile number so that you can let me know when you arrive?... If theres wind forecast for that week I might take a day or two off to sail with you! I might have to save myself for the BIG weekend though.

Al.

qualigs
Hot shot

Member #: 9
Posts 32

Mood: Moochin'

posted on 22-9-2003 at 12:57 Reply With Quote
How's things aL.

Unfortunately not going to make the October trip as not allowed hols from work till after christmas! Haven't done any surfing for ages now so hopefully the winter weather will provide some good surf here. Hope the house is comming on good. See you soon
Jam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Nick
Pro

Member #: 218
Posts 118

Mood: don't like winter.....too dark

posted on 22-9-2003 at 20:02 Reply With Quote
Al,

Just happened to be browsing the Boardwise website http://www.boardwise.co.uk/ and it looks like they're planning a Borth demo the following weekend 11/12 Oct.

Might be worth getting in touch with them to see if they'd bring it forward a week... may well be in their interest too.

Any way I'll leave that decision to you.... it's not my party!

Cheers

Nick

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 22-9-2003 at 20:23 Reply With Quote
Yeah, AndyW has pointed that out to me as well. I think they only put it on their site yesterday.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow, but I've phoned them a few times about it already and they were always completely disorganised. I'll see what they say though. As you say, it could be in their interests as well.... especially if it looks set to be windy for the 4th & 5th.

Al.

AndyW
A Force-of-Nature **

Walk Of Shame Award 2003 & 2004

Member #: 168
Posts 382

Mood:

posted on 23-9-2003 at 10:02 Reply With Quote
I guess it depends when the importers can turn up and bring all the kit. Its not just Boardwise bringing their demo trailer!

But it is bad timing on their part. Best talk to Ian or Doug for any info.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 23-9-2003 at 18:28 Reply With Quote
Yep, I spoke to Doug today. He sounded pretty disappointed that they had timed it wrongly, but I have told them 3 times when the F-O-N meeting was, so its their own fault really.

Doug did day he'd come along on the 4-5th weekend anyway, so thats one more person to add to the fun!

Al.

micky skinner
Beach Bum

Member #: 379
Posts 17

Mood:

posted on 24-9-2003 at 21:02 Reply With Quote
Comp Weekend

Hi all, two day old member here. Myself, my pals and our girls will be coming over to Borth on the 4th-5th from Brum. At the moment we are non surfers but hope to change that very soon. Where abouts will you guys be at the comp? anyway we may see you there.

Micky.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 25-9-2003 at 06:03 Reply With Quote
Hi Micky... it all depends on the conditions really. Many of the F-O-N people coming for the 4-5th weekend are windsurfers as well as surfers, so if theres wind most of us will probably be somewhere else along the beach windsurfing or kitesurfing most of the time. I'm sure we'll all take a look in at the surf competition if its happening though.

If you're going to have a go at surfing whilst you're here, you'd probably be better getting in the water away from the competition area as well... Unless of course you;re going to enter the competition!

We are most likely to be based at the Golf Course Car Aprk end of the beach, but it does depend a little on the conditions. (take a look at the post with the map in it earlier in this thread.)

When you find us, come and introduce yourself.. Its going to be quite interesting putting faces to all the names at last.

Al.

micky skinner
Beach Bum

Member #: 379
Posts 17

Mood:

posted on 25-9-2003 at 10:39 Reply With Quote
I dont think we'll be entering the comp, none of us have even been on a board in water yet! but what we hope to do that weekend is go to AOA Surf School for lessons up at Porth Neigwl (Hell's Mouth) if we can get a place. Do you know the guy's up there, I found the info on the westcoastsurf site?

Micky

raven22
Grommet

Member #: 380
Posts 8

Mood: Sick of being a novice

posted on 25-9-2003 at 12:41 Reply With Quote
Hey Everyone

I am thinking of coming over from Manchester for the Borth weekend. Don't know anybody though and if I am on my own then look out for me (tall, long blond hair, female, etc) as I have just started to get into windsurfing and would like to meet loads of other surfers. Probably be staying in the Youth Hostel or camping if others are coming along. You might also see me on my crappy Hifly board. Anyway, just thought i'd let people know that i'll probably be making up the numbers.
See ya there!
Emma.

SinistaPenguin
Pro

Member #: 359
Posts 122

Mood: Getting less surf than my avat

posted on 25-9-2003 at 12:50 Reply With Quote
It looks like parking might be difficult then, there are loads of people going!

Good to see that there are so many people going. I'm only going to make it for a day trip and don't know if it'll be sat or sun.

Someone should make an F-O-N flag to fly on the beach so everyone can find each other!

"...that's just the lemon next to the pie..."

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy