Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
Author: Subject: Need A New Board Or Equiment?
petersone
Hot shot

Member #: 845
Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 7-7-2004 at 13:32 Reply With Quote
Nice...I've been waiting for that site to get up and running.

I've had the same luck as you do. Everyone else over here in the U.S. thinks they're too flimsy. Must be jealousy...

To make your day, I've given you guys the link for a couple of pictures of wear I sponge. I know Airborne was wondering, and I kinda gave him a bad image, but here's a few you may like. The breaks at Cape Cod are big, prolly 3-4 feet in most cases, but they break all over the place, not really leaving for a smooth ride. Let me know how you like them.

You can visit them here: Cape Cod Pics

-cheers

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 7-7-2004 at 16:06 Reply With Quote
ooo i might go have a look at that website gallery...how did you find the Manta to ride Thodd?

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 7-7-2004 at 19:34 Reply With Quote
I have a question for anyone...if you're dropping in on a wave...do you find it easier to drop in on an angle in the direction that you want to go in or just dropping straight in and bottom turning?

-cheers

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 8-7-2004 at 11:54 Reply With Quote
I didn't like the manta airborne.. it felt slow and "clunky"... but saying that it was only one of their mid range boards.

To answer your question Peter... I do both depending on how the wave is behaving.... sometimes if I want lots of speed I'll drop straight down and put a turn in , if the wave is a really clean mellow one then i'll start at an angle.
Its a hard thing to explain really.. its more of an sub-conscious action rather than an actual decision that I make.

mexican bandit
Pro

Beach Bum (By special appointment)

Member #: 77
Posts 113

Mood: palm trees and bikinis

posted on 8-7-2004 at 15:57 Reply With Quote
Peter,

I agree with Thodd; it depends on the wave and a sunconscious reaction.

I find I do the drop and bottom turn on steeper sucky waves. When waves are not so steep then its normally an angle start.

Airborne: You were right on with the offshore - on shore part. Onshore will make the waves whitecap (have the top part break out at sea and lose energy) so the waves become smaller than they were. Offshore helps the waves barrel and make a tube (the wind slows down the fromt face while the backface is still pushing forward). Both can destroy waves if they are too strong. I think the best waves I've ridden have always had a light offshore wind.

On the board issue and stringers:

I remember reading that Guillerme Tamega (world champ back in 90 something) used to crease his boards on purpose. He'd put his knee to the bottom and pull the tip until he got a crease on the bottom. He used to say he prefered a flexible board for pulling off some of the moves.

Some people like stiff boards, some like flexible ones. If a stringer makes the board too stiff, then some people will hate them while others will love them.

"Why should I have to WORK for everything?! It's like saying I don't deserve it! " C&H

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 8-7-2004 at 20:17 Reply With Quote
thanks for your responses...that helps me quite a bit. now...onto another question..

rip tides...how do you spot them and how can you avoid them?

-cheers

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 8-7-2004 at 20:42 Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice guys...now i'm really up to date. Peterson, i think those waves at Cape Cod are really good. Your lucky to live close to such a nice break. Nice info mexican bandit cheers. I'm glad i was right about the wind.

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 8-7-2004 at 22:12 Reply With Quote
hey thanks about those breaks airborne. they're about a 4 hour drive from my home in connecticut. its like paradise though there...its really something...

-cheers

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 9-7-2004 at 07:51 Reply With Quote
Rip tides eh??? They can be your best friend or your worse enemy! Heres what i've learnt but if anone else wnts to add something........

Depending on the size of the beach you will usually get 3 rip tides. 2 on both sides and 1 in the middle. THey're caused by all the water getting washed up on the beach trying to get back out to sea. When its doing that it'll start to "groove" out the sandy sea bed providing channels and theres your rip. The problem is the rips can change from hour to hour as the sand is shifted around under the sea.

O.k. thats the theory...(i think its right!!) Spotting rips is can be easy... before you go in the sea take some time looking at all the waves... you'll probably notice that there will be a place where the waves aren't breaking...this is your rip. Spotting this area can be difficult if its a particularly messy day. Personally I try and find the rip to help me get out to the back of the line up... kind of like a conveyor belt.

Of course once in the sea it can be a different matter as you'll become slightly disorientated with your position. I usually give myself 2 or 3 markers. 1 on the beach on 1 to my side... say a group of surfers or a tree on the cliff face (whatever works for you) You should then be able to judge if your getting swept in a particular direction and compensate accordingly.

But remember....never ever swim against a rip.... you'll get tierd and probably won't win. Always swim horizontal to it and after a few kicks you'll probably find your in the clear!

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 9-7-2004 at 12:57 Reply With Quote
Thanks Thodd...I've heard about swimming horozontally, but I haven't heard about the way the waves brake with a rip tide. I think it'd be rather hard to tell where I am because the waves are sloppy and break all over the place.

From experience here, I just look for a big sandy looking mess, but where I sponge its sandbar for about 1/2 mile out. You can check it in this pic.

-cheers

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 9-7-2004 at 21:05 Reply With Quote
i thing theres something as well where if the waves or sea is bobbing up and down when it comes in to the beach, this is where pressure is and thats where your currents can be produced! Nice pic peter...wheres the waves though? And great advice Thodd. Keep the post comming!

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 9-7-2004 at 21:45 Reply With Quote
gotta climb down a 30 ft sand dune my man...gotta work a little for those waves
Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 10-7-2004 at 10:53 Reply With Quote
Oh! I see...now i get it!
Well, then i take your word for it that they're good. Is that picture Cape Cod or somewhere else?

Can you see that black dot in the sky on the image? It could be a U.F.O!

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 11-7-2004 at 02:30 Reply With Quote
Yeah its good ole Cape Cod, even with the UFOs is good stuff. Thats quite the sandbar eh?

-cheers

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 11-7-2004 at 19:18 Reply With Quote
It sure is! Is that you on your avatar peter? Here's my answer to your earlier question. I usually drop to the bottom and do a hard bottom turn on a steeper wave, whereas if its more flat i like to just angle, slightly turing into the wave...i always find this a bit slower though.

Does anyone know how to stop sliding out when you take off on a wave, how do you stop slowing down and end up being pushed forward rather than along the wave? Is it something to do with the tail and rail in the wave face? Wher should these be?

Cheers.

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 11-7-2004 at 21:58 Reply With Quote
No sorry...thats not me. I' actually a female rider. My username is just my last name followed by the first initial of my first name. My name is Erika by the way.

My answer to your question from above about sliding out when taking off on a wave:

*If its a big wave, stay closer to the breaking point, otherwise, your velocity is going to increase when you fall down the face of the wave causing you to slide all over the place. I would reccomend staying near the breaking point unless you plan on doing a manuver that requires plenty of speed and a huge wave.

Hope this helped.

-cheers

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 12-7-2004 at 16:42 Reply With Quote
That's it! Everytime i've been slow its been near the end of a wave and not as close as possible to the breaking part! Cheers for that. And sorry for the confusion about you being a female rider and me calling you a man! Soz.

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 12-7-2004 at 17:47 Reply With Quote
lol thats quite alright

-cheers

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 12-7-2004 at 20:31 Reply With Quote
i have to say though, this is a pretty good going post topic going on here...thats unusual! You must be popular petersone.

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 12-7-2004 at 22:15 Reply With Quote
I don't think popular is the term. I think we're more informative than anything

Hey if people enjoy it...keep up the posting

-cheers

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy