Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
Author: Subject: Need A New Board Or Equiment?
Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 13-7-2004 at 07:52 Reply With Quote
Hey you two!

Back to the "sliding out" topic before!:

This happened to me quite a lot after I bought my Ion board. I've a feeling it was down to the huge increase in speed that the board gave me. I've found that the best way to compensate and correct it was to shift my weight around the board untill I got traction again.
This usually involves putting my weight on the back to "dig in" to the water, getting my control back, shifting my weight forward and to the side so I can get my rail into the wave face, and then i'm away.... hopefully without loosing to much speed!

Speeding as fast as I can on a wave rocks my world! But you do have to think extra fast otherwise its game over and your off the wave! Belting down the face of a wave at mach 4 doing a bottom turn and shooting off the top is the best feeing in the world! I just need to learn how to land them properly!

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 13-7-2004 at 16:09 Reply With Quote
WOW! You sound pretty good at sponging!

I wish i could do that...hopefully i should learn it this year or next.

Anyway...thats some really good advice there Thodd, i definately try that as well! You know when you say dig your rail in the wave, should the rail actually be covered in water or just really close to a wave...and also is it the whole rail that should be in the face, or just the corner near the tail?

Cheers.
Airborne.

petersone
Hot shot

Member #: 845
Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 14-7-2004 at 03:03 Reply With Quote
hey guys...
i found something for you guys to look at. hopefully this will help you with your problems. if it doesnt...drop vicki or jay a line.

Riding Tips

-cheers

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 278

posted on 14-7-2004 at 12:54 Reply With Quote
Cheers Erika... i'd already spotted that on the site! Some great tips from Mr.Hubbard!!!! One day i might be able to do half the things he can!

Airborne.... by shifting your weight to the back of the board you'll find that more of you ie legs and waist area will end up in the water.. this acts as drag in the water and will slow you down, hopefully giving you some time to regain control. Your weight also tries to sink the back end of the board and again will give you more control.. but less speed.

Its all about experimenting as different boards and different weights of people will mean slightly different techniques.

One thing that you can do which is fun... if you find yourself
sliding sideways on a wave, pull your entire body onto the board, lift your legs out of the water, put a hand in the water near the front of the board and make a scooping motion with it, scooping your hand toward the back of your board. if done properly you'll find yourself spinning around and around and around and......
The only problem then is stopping whilst facing the right way!

With respect to the rail.. its hard to explain as I've never actually looked at what its doing!! To travel horizontal along the wave you need to almost lift up your outside edge and trust that your board will hold. Your inside rail will do all the work and you'll be trimming along the wave with the best of them!!
But don't lift up too high as you'll end up binning it!

Its all about experimenting and practice! But when your trying something new get ready to hold your breath!

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 14-7-2004 at 15:49 Reply With Quote
Thanks for the great tips Thodd, brill info and thanks Erika for that link...although i have read everything there is in that section of the site, but thanks anyway!
Hey Thodd, that "game" sounds pretty fun with the spinning and all, i'll give it a try!

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 14-7-2004 at 17:43 Reply With Quote
No problem...I think morey actually put out a set of videos that may help you Thodd.

http://www.waveblasters.com/videos.html

-cheers

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 14-7-2004 at 19:31 Reply With Quote
Thanks once again Erika, but i've also seen them as well...lol! Maybe i ought to watch the trimming video again, and maybe bottom turning, thanks for the reminder though!

Hey i tell you what would be useful to me! A copy of Bodyboarding Inside and Out on PAL format (i already have BIO 2 but can't seem to find BIO 1 anywhere on PAL format)...anything?

Cheers.

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 14-7-2004 at 20:54 Reply With Quote
sorry airborne...i couldnt find anything...

back to your problem though...try to keep your butt end on whichever side is closest to the wave. between that and having your board almost perpendicular with the wave you should be fine. if you cant seem to figure it out...drop Jay a line...

-cheers

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 15-7-2004 at 15:19 Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot for your help. Hopefully when i try it in 2 weeks time i should be alright now. I'll let you know how i get on.

Cheers.

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 15-7-2004 at 22:49 Reply With Quote
lol 2 weeks...I'll be bodyboarding at the Cape. Hopefully I can snatch some pictures for you.

-cheers

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 278

posted on 16-7-2004 at 08:40 Reply With Quote
i'm going to be in North Devon doing my "thang" at Croyde next weekend!
I've had a waterproof camera for about a year now and i've never taken in the sea! I always end up leaving it in the car cos I end up getting excited about the waves and want to surf them..... same goes for all my mates!

rob
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 550
Posts 375

Mood: tired!

posted on 16-7-2004 at 10:20 Reply With Quote
what camera do you use thodd? i've been thinking of getting a waterproof case for a sony p5 but at over £150 its a lot of money... about 10 waterproof disposables!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 16-7-2004 at 16:57 Reply With Quote
i was thinking about getting a waterproof camcorder...you know the ones that you see in all of the sponging videos. The masive one...i can't find one though! Where are they?
Hey, petersone! Consider yourself lucky to live quite near a place with good waves...i only get to surf in good waves at around 3 times a year!
Hopefully when im older i can do it loads more often at weekends etc., damn lazy parents won't take me anywhere during the year (apart from east anglia where the waves aren't good and the sea is brown with lots of sewage!)
Oh well, back to the bodyboarding videos i go. Looking forward to seeing those pictures petersone.

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 16-7-2004 at 19:19 Reply With Quote
Hey someone from the Crystal Coast bodyboarding forum asked me about waterproof cameras. You need to buy the camera and then the housing for it. I found a site where you can buy the housing.

http://www.marinecamera.com/ikelite_video.html

I think this one houses the sony TRV-6, TRV-8, TRV-10, TRV-11, TRV-15, TRV-17, TRV-20, and TRV-30. Give it a check.

Also, I have a question. My bro just got a Morey Comp...Surlyn bottom, bat tail, etc...and he wants to load it with stickers (this is beyond me cause a naked bodyboard is a beautiful one). Will the stickers affect his take off and speed?

-cheers

rob
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 375

posted on 16-7-2004 at 21:35 Reply With Quote
wont the stickers just peel off?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 17-7-2004 at 15:42 Reply With Quote
No, they're basically decals for the bottom of your board. The problem is, his surlyn bottom is patterned like a golf ball. It has hexagons on the bottom, making it look hammered. So, I don't know if the hexagonal indents would have something to do with the speed, takeoff, and anything else. I really wouldnt wanna screw it up for him.

-cheers

rob
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 375

posted on 18-7-2004 at 20:07 Reply With Quote
i'll take your word for it... i dont have a clue with bodyboards im afraid!

mexican bandit
Pro

Beach Bum (By special appointment)

Member #: 77
Posts 113

Mood: palm trees and bikinis

posted on 19-7-2004 at 07:33 Reply With Quote
petersone, the decals will affect the speed, but not much. Some people will hardly notice it.

If the indents are quite deep then the decals will start peeling off quite easily and when this happens then they will affect the speed more.

If you place them in the middle up by the front of the board, the part that spends most of the time out of the water, then you'll never notice them.

Tell your bro he should make some stencils and spry paint the board, thats better than any decal.

"Why should I have to WORK for everything?! It's like saying I don't deserve it! " C&H

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 19-7-2004 at 19:24 Reply With Quote
thanks bandit...

i dont think the decals will make that big of a deal...the indents are kind of retarted anyway. he'll be fine...

otherwise he can just take them off...

-cheers

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 19-7-2004 at 20:29 Reply With Quote
Thanks petersone about the camera housing, i'll consider it...any idea how much they are?

Its also interesting about the decals...i used to put them on my board, i only have one small sticker now because they all fell off!

YOU MIGHT WANT TO READ THIS PETERSONE BEFORE YOU PUT THE DECALS ON: -

make sure that the bottom of the board is squeeky clean...this is a top tip to make sure that the stickers/decals stay on! If that doesn't work then its not a good enough clean and you've lost your stickers or they are really rubbish!

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy