Author: Subject: newbie in Mid wales
welshtrowy
Hot shot

Member #: 6588
Posts 38

Mood: no skills but willing

posted on 8-5-2007 at 19:50 Reply With Quote
newbie in Mid wales

Hello to all you forumites, just been directed to this great site by the guys at Boards. Thought the best place to post first would be the introduction forum so this is me a 34 year old slightly receeding podgy retail manager trying to get into windsurfing (have my RYA1 booked for this saturday at Bala)

Looking to maybe meet up with some other beginners or hang around some guys in the area to try and pick up some tips maybe join a club, are there any?

Any advice?

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 8-5-2007 at 19:56 Reply With Quote
If you get away from Bala and sail at Aberdyfi at Borth, Im sure youll find plenty of helpfull sailors and kiters to help you along.

Good luck.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

welshtrowy
Hot shot

Posts 38

posted on 8-5-2007 at 20:07 Reply With Quote
Thanks shem, I was kind of thinking that I needed to learn on flat inland water is that the case?

I must admit the thought of blasting along on the ocean was the draw but seems like a pipe dream at the moment.

Took our 2 year old to the beach (ynyslas) last year and both he and I enjoyed watching a couple of guys blasting up and down the coastline, must be an awesome feeling all that speed and no engine......ah never mind one day hopefully

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 8-5-2007 at 20:59 Reply With Quote
Bala will be a good starting point, but once you have the basics mastered the steadier winds of the estuary at Aberdovey/Ynyslas will be ideal for you...

No doubt one of the people you saw blasting up and down at Ynyslas last year was me!!

Let us know when you'll be down this way and we'll give you some words of encouragement!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

welshtrowy
Hot shot

Posts 38

posted on 8-5-2007 at 22:15 Reply With Quote
Thanks Al I'll definately take you up on that my job takes me too Aberystwyth and clarech bay so I'm down that way about once a month might just come down to the shoreline and watch some moves.

really would love to get out on the ocean have to say lake sailing does'nt really do it for me and want to progress to the sea asap.

Are there/you any instructors down there for some tuition?

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 9-5-2007 at 06:57 Reply With Quote
Yeah, sailing on the sea is where its at, but it does usually take a while to get competent enough to sail on the sea when the conditions are good... Many people take many years before they can windsurf in waves and some people never get that far, so you do need to learn the basics on flatter water...

There aren't any windsurf schools / instructors around here, again simply because learning to windsurf is easier on flat water so a school on the sea around here wouldn't have many days that it could actually teach people!

It is still worth coming down though because you can play around and practise on lightwind / flat days or get out on the flat waters of the estuary and people will always be willing to lend a hand and some tips.

You may end up wanting to kitesurf though as that is what most people do these days (there are only a few of us still windsurfing around here).. Kitesurfing is MUCH easier and therefore often more attractive, especially to newbies. You can be blasting around quite happily on the sea on a roughish day after just a few goes at kitesurfing, whereas it will take years to get to that level with windsurfing... I still windsurf though even though I did kitesurf as well for a few years. The kitesurfing was good to start while it was new and exciting, but I soon reverted back to windsurfing once everyone else started kitesurfing (I'm never one to follow the crowd!). I also get more of a rush from windsurfing simply because it is more challenging and therefore more satisfying too.

Al.

welshtrowy
Hot shot

Posts 38

posted on 9-5-2007 at 20:18 Reply With Quote
Had'nt given kite surfing much thought but may give it a whirl this summer. Really on a mission to be able to beachstart and sail without looking like a muppet by the end of the summer........ok october when I'll probably cry off like a big girls blouse!

first day of my rya1 on sat so looking forward to that then got a gap of a couple of weeks before the second day which should give me a chance to get plenty of practice in.

Thanks for taking the time to give me the advice looking forward to seeing some of you in action on the water.

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 15
Posts 388

Mood: Hey Ho

posted on 10-5-2007 at 11:20 Reply With Quote
I spent many happy days on Bala, and I still like the flat water of the Ynyslas Estuary, but you need to time it with the right tide and wind conditions.
Once you are feeling confident enough to have a go on the estuary, it's only a matter of being confident enough to cope with the tidal flow, let us know and I'm sure that we could help out as it's best not to sail alone - isn't it Al

btw - I've been sailing for years and I still look like a muppet, so don't set too tough a target

[Edited on 10-5-2007 by Dave]

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 11-5-2007 at 08:13 Reply With Quote
quote:

There aren't any windsurf schools / instructors around here, again simply because learning to windsurf is easier on flat water so a school on the sea around here wouldn't have many days that it could actually teach people!

It is still worth coming down though because you can play around and practise on lightwind / flat days or get out on the flat waters of the estuary and people will always be willing to lend a hand and some tips.

You may end up wanting to kitesurf though as that is what most people do these days (there are only a few of us still windsurfing around here).. Kitesurfing is MUCH easier and therefore often more attractive, especially to newbies. You can be blasting around quite happily on the sea on a roughish day after just a few goes at kitesurfing, whereas it will take years to get to that level with windsurfing... I still windsurf though even though I did kitesurf as well for a few years. The kitesurfing was good to start while it was new and exciting, but I soon reverted back to windsurfing once everyone else started kitesurfing (I'm never one to follow the crowd!). I also get more of a rush from windsurfing simply because it is more challenging and therefore more satisfying too.

Al.

Hey Guys,

I'm a Windsurfing Instructor for my sins

Your right Al, it takes time to lean to sail in waves, but kiting easier? that depends on how good you want to get really.

The learning curve to planeing I think is quicker for sure. The modern Fast Track Windsurfing courses are about that too.

Whatever you choose Welshtrowy, have fun!

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

http://www.jonnieeisler.com

Si_B
Pro

Member #: 2537
Posts 80

Mood: Single and getting happier !!

posted on 11-5-2007 at 09:15 Reply With Quote
I brought some friends to play on the windsurfers last year at Aberdovey. If you can get up on your board and sail / turn without too much hassle, I don't think you will have any trouble. Might be worth leaving the 20 mph plus days alone for a few months. You will find that it is quite shallow in places when the tide receeds.

Not to sure I agree with the comment regarding how easy kitesurfing is. Windsurfing is more physically demanding to learn, but with good instruction and modern kit, you should be blasting along in your straps in no time. Confidence and skill in the waves can take years though !!!.

Good luck with your windsurfing, it's a very rewarding sport.

Simon

welshtrowy
Hot shot

Posts 38

posted on 11-5-2007 at 11:11 Reply With Quote
Thanks again for all the tips guys, getting itchy feet waiting for tommorrow (even watching the wind in the trees lol)

Quite fancy aberdovey at some time this summer! Dunc do you do 1-2-1 coaching? for a price obviousley! by the way is that you doing the loops on the gallery?

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Posts 606

posted on 11-5-2007 at 13:32 Reply With Quote
Aye that'll be me welshtrowy, I only tend to Windsurf Inland now though and Kite on the Coast.

I'm around Borth/Dovey a lot, we'll sort something out on the coaching front. Just get someone to point me out on the Beach or look for the Red VWTransporter.

Dunk

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 11-5-2007 at 14:44 Reply With Quote
No its not you Dunk.... Its Duncan from South Wales...

I assume you mean photos such as these Duncan Loops

Al.

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Posts 606

posted on 11-5-2007 at 14:55 Reply With Quote
Sorry dude, I thought you ment this one, ok one handed lol

dunk has attached this image:

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Posts 606

posted on 11-5-2007 at 15:11 Reply With Quote
Or this one

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

welshtrowy
Hot shot

Posts 38

posted on 11-5-2007 at 17:11 Reply With Quote
equally as impressed dunc
baileyman
Pro

Member #: 1933
Posts 114

Mood: Reflective

posted on 12-5-2007 at 09:18 Reply With Quote
Looks like a regulation Dunks crash to me !!
welshtrowy
Hot shot

Posts 38

posted on 13-5-2007 at 11:43 Reply With Quote
Wellcompleted my first ever full days sailing and loved it....hated it.......loved it what a roller coaster and how frustrating!!! ah but there were moments (not many, but enough) when I had the biggest stupidist grin on my face If it was'nt for that bloody chop I would have had a few more I'm sure.

Got a couple of weeks untill my second day so now need practice problem is my boards lambada and rumba aint gonna cut it (I need some width as the actress said to the vicar!) so I need some advice on a used board (under 300 squid) have my heart set on a JP new school 205 what do you guys think?

[Edited on 13-5-2007 by welshtrowy]

Si_B
Pro

Member #: 2537
Posts 80

Mood: Single and getting happier !!

posted on 13-5-2007 at 12:23 Reply With Quote
Don't know what size you are looking for exactly, but I have an immaculate 2001 F2 265 air sitting in my shed. Got around 116 ltrs volume. Fab board, but I just don't windsurf anymore.
welshtrowy
Hot shot

Posts 38

posted on 13-5-2007 at 13:17 Reply With Quote
I wish Si unfortunately due to my size and skills (lack of) I am more in need of the titanic or atleast a fridge like 200 litres of volume ........but one day soon who knows!

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy