Author: Subject: Borth, Easter Weekend
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 15-4-2003 at 15:39 Reply With Quote
Shhhhh!!!!

Although Friday isn't looking good windwise...It is weatherwise though, and looking at the forecasts this afternoon, things are looking up with NE Force 4 forecast for Sat and NE Force 4-5 on Sun.... Don't get too excited yet, but NE's are THE PERFECT direction for the estuary.... I'd prefer some NW's and some swell for the seafront personally, but you can't have it all.

If there are a few people around on the Friday and theres not much wind, maybe we could do a gorge walk?? Who's up for that?

Dazza, have you earnt enough brownie points to make it this weekend? You haven't done the gorge before have you?... You'll enjoy it.

Olly...How about you? You coming for some more NE action in the estuary?

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

MartinF
Pro

Worst Wipeout Award 2003

Member #: 72
Posts 79

Mood: needing time out

posted on 16-4-2003 at 21:32 Reply With Quote
Tides this weekend?

Al, bearing in mind that Friday (and, therefore, this weekend) will see the largest spring tides this year, what sort of conditions will that mean around the area? Will the estuary dry out? Will the sea do a Weston & disappear over the horizon? And what does all this mean in the anticipated E winds?

Cheers,
Martin

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 17-4-2003 at 05:17 Reply With Quote
Hi Martin..

The main part of the estuary will dry out, but the small channel between the point and Aberdovey will still be sailable. Although runs will be short so it will be gybing practise only!!... There will also be quite a bit of water moving around in the channel.

The sea doesn't disappear over the horizon. It obviously goes out a bit further than usual but its not too much of a walk.

As far as the Easterly go, then it will be perfect (if the wind arrives) in the estuary in the morning. High tide is 9.55am on Friday and around midday on Monday... You'll be able to sail for at least 2 hours either side of High tide without even worrying about the sandbanks. There will also probably be an extra force or so of wind than elsewhere, espeically once it goes NE... Its about 20 knots here as I write this. Gotta go to work though.

Once the tide has dropped, we may be able to sail off the seafront in offshore winds, but it'll probably be better for messing around with kites etc on the arge expnse of sand.

Lets hope the wind arrives.... The forecasts are teasing at the mo, with Saturday looking the best for wind..

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 17-4-2003 at 06:13 Reply With Quote
I've just taken a walk to the estuary and it is indeed windy there at the moment!

It was 7am and high tide is at 9.15am and there was plenty of water even for a biggish fin, but that wouldn't be needed as the wind was a steady 22 knots NE. I stood there for about 5 minutes with my anenometer and it didn't once drop below 20 knots, but there was an occasional 25 knot gust. I would have rigged my wave board and 5m sail. The closest weather stations/bouys are reading ENE and SE 10 knots... I love this place!!

I doubt it will last all day though because as the temperature picks up, a sea breeze effect will kick in, opposing the Easterlies... Lets hope we get the same for the weekend as I have to work today in order to tke the bank holidays off. Especially after yesterdays spending spree!

Al.

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 135
Posts 337

Mood: Optimistic!

posted on 17-4-2003 at 19:14 Reply With Quote
Bad day at work so will not be coming down tonight, but will try and set off early tomorrow.

Look forward to seeing you all there, lets hope there is plenty of wind (despite the weather forecast!)

Keep and eye out for someone sailing (badly) on the estuary on an F2 board and (probably) an Arrows rig

SeanBo

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 17-4-2003 at 19:17 Reply With Quote
Will do.... I'm going to get there at about 7am if theres wind. I should be able to tell from within the confines of the caravan!

Today the wind stayed all day until about 6pm when the water was filling up in the estuary and I got home... Grrr.

Hopefully there will be enought tomorrow morning. Radical Rob says he's gonna meet me there at 7am as well, so I might have someone to sail with for a change!

See you tomorrow.

Al.

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 337

posted on 17-4-2003 at 19:25 Reply With Quote
Hmmmm, I was thinking of leaving about 7am! As it is about a 5 hour drive we will not get there until the middle of the day and then we need to pitch a tent!

I guess you will be having a longer relax/play than I will tomorrow.

SeanBo

PS - I had a meeting in Poole this AM and it was a perfect learners day. Flat as a mirror with a gentle/steady breeze. Reminded me of why I started this sport......its just a shame that I would no longer be happy with these conditions!

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 17-4-2003 at 21:08 Reply With Quote
Just thought I'd let you all know that it is now 10pm and its just started blowin' a hoolie out there!!!

Lets hope it lasts.

Al.

SeanBo
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 337

posted on 17-4-2003 at 23:02 Reply With Quote
ooopppsss.... got stuck in to some cans of stella so will probably be even later! Still, I guess that should improve the chances of wind for you guys!
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 18-4-2003 at 04:45 Reply With Quote
Nice on SeanBo.... It seems to be working as its windy here at the moment (5.45am). I'm just waiting for there to be some water in the estuary and I'll be off.

See you later.

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 19-4-2003 at 06:02 Reply With Quote
So far so good... There was about 7 windsurfers and five kitesurfers out in the estuary yesterday...Which is REALLY busy for Borth. This included me, BEFS, Radical Rob, and Richard windsurfing and Mike, Derek and Simon kitesurfing. Check the diaries for all the details.

Ken, SeanBo and Jane all turned up a little too late to catch the tides, but we're meeting again at 8am in the estuary as the NE winds should be OK there today. A few others should turn up today as well. Lets hope the wind lasts.

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 19-4-2003 at 14:19 Reply With Quote
Woohooo!!

The estuary gave all its got today and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I certainly did, but with winds up to 35 knots (and probably exceeding that at times), it did become a little hectic at times.

Whats it been like elsewhere?

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 20-4-2003 at 13:35 Reply With Quote
It just gets better and better!!

Today was the best day so far... Still sunny, still windy and lots (15 or so) of people out windsurfing.

I had a fantastic day and the visitors (SeanBo, Jane, BEFS etc) just couldn't quite believe how windy it has been... I think they were suitably impressed with this part of Wales... And they haven't even been sailing on the seafront yet!

Al.

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy