Bananaman
Pro

Member #: 522
Posts 99

Mood: Re-invigorated

posted on 12-2-2004 at 11:08 Reply With Quote
Roadtrip to hell

Hi,

I am planning a summer roadtrip in June/July, it is going to be a windsurfing/camping trip. I expect it to take an entire month. In my Peugeot 406 Estate I intend to drive down to Laucate in southern France where I hope to camp for a while and windsurf on the big lagoon there. Then when I get bored I intend to drive down past Barcelona to Tarifa where I will camp and hopefully it won't be too windy for me to be able to get out on the sea. Then I intend to get the ferry from Gibraltar to Morroco, drive through Morroco to Egypt and end up in Dahab where I intend to camp for the rest of the holiday before driving back to sunny England again. Do you foresee any difficulites with me doing this? Has anyone done a similiar thing before? Any help appreciated. Cheers in advance.

Bananaman

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 12-2-2004 at 11:55 Reply With Quote
Ajdesq is the person to talk to about road trips, he done the round europe thing.
All I'd say is good luck your braver than me! The europe bit of the journey sounds great maybe even the morocco bit.
The rest of it looks like madness! last time I heard Algeria is a BAD place for white people I saw Micheal Palins round the sahara he had to have armed guards in Algeria. Then if you make it passed there its Libya next then you have to drive right the way across Egypt, have you seen egyption drivers? scary! and the temprature too I went to moon beach in June was 40 c plus out of the wind

If you go for it good luck

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

Bananaman
Pro

Member #: 522
Posts 99

Mood: Re-invigorated

posted on 12-2-2004 at 20:36 Reply With Quote
hmmmm maybe I wont go to egypt then but maybe instead stay in morocco. I don't wanna get robbed or murdered im too young for that.
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 12-2-2004 at 20:42 Reply With Quote
Probably a good idea... I've always liked the look of exploring the whole western coast of Africa, but there are LOADS of places down there that would almost certainly lead to death, which just isn't my cup of tea thanks very much!!

Actually, you can't go much further than Morocco as next along the coast is Western Sahara, which there just ins't much information about, and then its Mauritania which is pretty dangerous... Bet the surf goes off though!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 15-2-2004 at 14:10 Reply With Quote
Flippin typical!

When I landed at LHR after coming back from the Gorge last August, I ended up waiting for my kit with Ascanio, a budding Spanish pro. He invited me along to Morocco but it was too late, the rest of my trip was booked up.

And now this, a brill offer but A BLOODY YEAR TOO FLIPPIN LATE!!!!

Banana - I've done the roadtrip to Tarifa, and back via Leucate. I def preferred Leucate. Tarifa's too far up it's own bottom. All my emails of the time can be found off the link 'Big Trip - The emails' off my website www.ajdesq.com. Allow a few hours

I fancied doing that trip to Egypt too, but for the above reasons I did not go. I agree that Morrocco is a good place to head, it seems to be the up & coming place.

My (non-windsurfing) friends are there right now in their motorhome. I hope to be seeing them in the spring so will pick their brains. I remember them saying things like to travel in convoy, and only travel at certain times of the day. Will post more if I find anything out.

Best of luck,

Andrew

There's more to life than KITESURFING!

Let me know when you find it.

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 15-2-2004 at 14:15 Reply With Quote
Just noticed - one month? That all? It's 2 days drive to Leucate, a further 3 to Tarifa. That's 10 days out of your 30 just driving, leaving only 20 to play. If I were you I'd aim for Leucate, and just stay there till you get bored with it. On my trip I spent far too many windy days on the road, only to arrive somewhere with no wind.

There's more to life than KITESURFING!

Let me know when you find it.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy