Author: Subject: Club Vass
J...
Hot shot

Member #: 145
Posts 30

Mood: Margarita Bound 08/12/04 Bring

posted on 31-5-2004 at 20:38 Reply With Quote
Club Vass

We are of to vass in July , anyone been ? got and info on the sailing, social, and so on??
Dallas
Beach Bum

Member #: 213
Posts 24

Mood:

posted on 11-6-2004 at 10:06 Reply With Quote
Club Vass

Hi J.....

Club Vass is really good, but make sure you take bags of energy with you!
The wind is generally light in the morning, and then "eric" the thermal wind kicks in anytime from 11ish onwards depending on how hot it is. Keep your nose twitching for the smell of herbs from the mountains.....usually means the wind is on its way!!

On the water it can be busy, but everyone's really friendly and they've got loads of kit, so there's not usually too much of an issue getting the board you want.

Socially, Vass is excellent. Zeus Bar is the main party place in the evenings, and drunken walks along the beach at 6am is not uncommon! There are a few good restaurants (particularly fish) and the pizzas at Club Vass are particularly good.

Think that covers most stuff, but let me know if you want any more info, and enjoy.....

Hans@BW
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 680
Posts 150

Mood: Need some waves..... :-(

posted on 16-6-2004 at 06:52 Reply With Quote
Dallas - Don't forget the bakery run after all that booze Zeus - it opens around 4:30 / 5:00am better than a kebab any day!! Oh and the skinny dipping on the way back - great cure for any hangover!

I have stayed at Club Vass several times and really enjoyed it. However the most fun / life changing time was when I stayed on the campsite behind the Blue Beach Restaurant. I was there for a month - and I was considered a part timer, most folks were there for a minimum of 3 months....!!! The campsite has good facilities and the owner 'name...???' is really great and fair, so long as you treat him the same way. The beauty of the campsite especially in July is that you don't get bothered by the mozzies - it's the trees on the site apparently - I didn't get bitten once in the whole time I was there. Only downside - no A/Con and at 8am you just have to get out of your tent - so hot! They have board / sail racks just off the beach so you can keep your kit rigged all the time.

Hope this helps - enjoy.

Hans.

bridget4

Member #: 694
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 17-6-2004 at 18:09 Reply With Quote
Vass

been to Vass for past 2 years and going agin in July myself for 3 weeks - you'll love it - nice crosshore wind from the right which varies in strength but there's more than enough kit to get it right - just plug in a sailand try it - then come back and change it - the staff will even put it away for you if its not too busy
sailed every day for 3 weeks last year on everything from 8 metre to 4.2 m - great instruction included too in the mornings so you can get out and try stuff when the wind kicks in
got a 6.4 strength earthquake last year as well - just to stop us getting bored !
if you're into mountain biking get out on the free kit either on guided rides or with a mate - good trails

any more info needed just mail me

IainO
Pro

Member #: 153
Posts 93

Mood: Closer to the sea now

posted on 17-6-2004 at 22:50 Reply With Quote
We're off to Vass last week in July. Had no intention of going away this summer after snowboarding in Jan and windsurfing at Margarita in Mar but this dire period of no wind in the SW has meant over 2 months without a decent sail in planing conditions.

Can't really afford to go with the wedding looming but what the hell you can't beat sailing in shorts and a rash vest.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 18-6-2004 at 05:21 Reply With Quote
Another holiday!!!! And then there will be a honeymoon too.... Its OK for some.

When is the BIG day? Ours is looming fast, only a couple of weeks to go! It seems as though everyone is getting married at the moment.

Looks as though you have been unlucky with the wind, there have been a few diary entries from the SW so you must have missed it. Its even been warm enough to sail in shorts and a rash vest here as well.

Still, I'm looking forward to our honeymoon in the Outer Hebrides... Although it won't be so warm up therre! Will have to get around to actually going windsurfing / kitesurfing abroad one day.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

IainO
Pro

Posts 93

posted on 18-6-2004 at 10:14 Reply With Quote
I know it's totally over the top and I can't really afford it especially as I could do with a new light wind board (for freestyle)

Doing the deed next Easter over in Barbados right next to St Oistens, Club Mistral centre Hope to sail during the afternoon then do the ceremony at sunset in board shorts.

Hope you get good weather in the Hebrides. I've been to Tiree a few times and always had decent conditions

S-J
Grommet

Member #: 784
Posts 6

Mood: Wanna go out to play!!!

posted on 28-6-2004 at 21:12 Reply With Quote
I'm so excited about going to Vass now. After watching J... and Seanbo yesterday at Poole and seeing the massive smiles on their faces when they came back in off the water - I'm really looking forward to getting to a stage where I can go out when there is actually some wind!
dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 30-6-2004 at 13:44 Reply With Quote
Iaino,

Barbados rocks,

If you get chance go up to silversands/silver rock beach, its got a cool reef, and you should see Brian Talma its his back yard. Oistens is the best place to eat fish too

Have a good time !!!!!!!!!!!

IainO
Pro

Posts 93

posted on 30-6-2004 at 20:57 Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips. Hope to check out Silver Sands but needed to locate at a flat water venue for my fiance, she's not too keen on waves

I see from the diaries that johmo is out there, be interested to see what his verdict is on Oistens and Club Mistral

zebedee23
Hot shot

Member #: 488
Posts 33

Mood:

posted on 6-7-2004 at 09:37 Reply With Quote
Me and my bro are off to Vass for the third year in a row a fortnight on sunday for 2 weeks.

It really is an excellent place and I hope not to jinx it but the wind has been very consistent when we have been in the past - gentle in the mornings to practice things and do lightwind freestyle (speeds up the feet and balance) and then leisurely lunch and blasting in the afternoons - sometimes right through to sunset! Then cocktails on the terrace, film nights (the most picqturesque (sp?) cinema I have ever been to!), excellent barbecue and punch nights or superb harbourside seafood restaurants and of course the legendary Zeus bar and trip to the 'patisserie' for breakfast on the way home. Of course, by the end of the 2nd week you don't get up in until after luncch so you can just get some brunch and head straight out into force 4s or 5s.

(Can you tell I'm excited?)

IainO
Pro

Posts 93

posted on 6-7-2004 at 13:49 Reply With Quote
I'll see you there, me and my other half are flying out from Gatwick on 25th, can't wait to be out on the water in board shorts and a rash vest
zebedee23
Hot shot

Posts 33

Mood:

posted on 6-7-2004 at 14:45 Reply With Quote
cool, we are flying from Manchester (so I think we get there earlier than you which means I'll be on the water when you arrive

What group are you likely to go for - no doubt we'll meet each other anyway - you there for two weeks or one?

IainO
Pro

Posts 93

posted on 6-7-2004 at 19:32 Reply With Quote
Just there for the one week unfortunately, family duties for the second week

I'm going for the advanced group, hoping to learn some freestyle stuff. My girlfriend is going for the improvers group as she only started last year (at Vass). What group are you going for?

zebedee23
Hot shot

Posts 33

Mood:

posted on 7-7-2004 at 08:38 Reply With Quote
I was in the 'early advanced' group last year but I'm not sure I will still be there now. I am going to give it a good sesh on the sunday though and if all goes well, then I'll go for that one again. It concentrates mainly on carve gybes with a bit of aerial stuff thrown in when you get bored of ditching it yet again but there is generally a group that just does tricks if there are enough people to merit it
J...
Hot shot

Member #: 145
Posts 30

Mood: Margarita Bound 08/12/04 Bring

posted on 20-7-2004 at 22:21 Reply With Quote
Well it was more than I hoped for Truely a top place .
See you next year
J...

[Edited on 20-7-2004 by J...]

SJ

Member #: 877
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 22-7-2004 at 23:45 Reply With Quote
It was bloody great! Did my first beach start and got in the harness for the first time too! Woo hoo!

I just might get to like this sailing mularky............

zebedee23
Hot shot

Posts 33

Mood:

posted on 20-8-2004 at 11:03 Reply With Quote
Had a great two weeks out there last week in July and first in August - second week better for wind and we had a couple of really big wind days - my shoulder is still paying for that...

Also got a decent bit of MTB'g in - the Two Towers the long way is a killer, but I'll have to do it every year now!

Am planning on Club Dahab next year as part of my honeymoon, but staying in the Hilton - will post a new thread to see if anyone has any experiences of it.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy