Author: Subject: Do surfers hate Kayak surfers
harrye
Grommet

Member #: 1936
Posts 6

Mood:

posted on 6-9-2006 at 14:22 Reply With Quote
Do surfers hate Kayak surfers

I was just wonderin why surfers hate kayaker surfers or bum surfers they call us round here. i went to newquay and they hated us and also when i went to formby and abersoch they were also off with us. Most of all when we catch a wave they always think they have the right of way over us even if we caught it first. this comes bk to the subject who actually has right of way on the wave? this is just a querry of mine and im no way saying surfers are idiots but is it the same every where espically in aber. just would like to know ur querrys thanks
harry

[Edited on 6-9-2006 by harrye]

leonardo
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 634
Posts 613

Mood: Chillin' ya bloodclot mahn

posted on 6-9-2006 at 16:26 Reply With Quote
its a worldwide thing. In SA, kayakers r nicknamed eggbeaters! Kayaks r well dangerous cause they have so much volume and u guys can catch the waves too early i suppose. I've had one kayaker do a floater and land on me in SA whilst surfing..half my body was numb and useless for about 30min. Surfing is by far the hardest out of the lot and kayakers r seen as cheating, but at the end of the day we're all wave riders

LEN10 LOOPING..

www.sskiteboarding.com

jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1437
Posts 410

Mood: Not long to go..Morocco again!

posted on 6-9-2006 at 21:04 Reply With Quote
Hay geeza. Surfed for donkeys and loved every minuit ov it even though most English waves are onshore mush. I used to spend so much time doing the 4 hour slog down to Croyd/Saunton to pick up possibly 4 or 5 epic days a year and even as a surfer, you got attitude from other surfers. one day I saw some guys having fun in surf kayaks and in no time at all i'd joined the ranks of the surf kayackers.

The unwritten law is that the person who catches the wave nearest the shoulder of the wave has right of way, so observe this and you,ll get on much better.

A word though concerning overcrowding, early spring, late autumn and winter are the times for you to go and play as you,ll find only the locals and the hard core will be on the breaks.

Hope this is of some help

carlessd
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 928
Posts 224

Mood: new toys

posted on 8-9-2006 at 13:53 Reply With Quote
dude dont worry bout it too much, surfers just hate anyone or anything that lets ya get more surf than them.
i love sharks!!!

dont you eat of a bitter fruit!!

Gavin Jones
Grommet

Member #: 1758
Posts 7

Mood:

posted on 10-9-2006 at 08:33 Reply With Quote
I beleive "Goatboaters" are one down from boddy boarders, which are in turn not very high on the food chain, one down from long boarders if memory serves!

Don't take it personally. All short boarders get miffed when there's someone in the water who can sit that bit further out and pick off the better set waves. To a point where a few are happy to drop in...

jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 410

posted on 11-9-2006 at 12:17 Reply With Quote
There will always be people that don't follow written and unwritten laws, that does not give anyone the right to claim overall owneship of a break. It doesn't make anyones time on the water more pleasant if you fail to observe surf etiquette or if you choose to consider yourself top of a pecking order that only exists in the mindset of a group, who consider that they have some kind of devine right.

After 20 years of witnessing the surf scene change, I am glad to be in and around a more open minded, friendly scene where fellow participants in our addictive passtime give way to one another with a friendly nod and give beginners as much space as they require.

Attitudes and self segregation are not the way to maximise enjoyment of any passtime

carlessd
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 224

posted on 11-9-2006 at 16:20 Reply With Quote
very well said john. an thanks for borrowing me your gear, had a wicked weekend on some awsome whitewater. an a jet of water just off hollyhead somewhere was perfect for practising ferry gliding. managed to roll too dude my abbs are killin me now though.

jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 410

posted on 11-9-2006 at 16:35 Reply With Quote
Good one Daz. Glad to hear your enjoying it as much as I have, and glad its bein used an not gathering dust.

You didnt miss much at Dovey, had about an hour and a half on Sat morning powered up, But hey...company was fine!

Course now your an 'egg wisk' or a 'git boater' none ov us will speak to you again LOL.

Dont you forget about us now your loved up and have another passtime!! We'll still be expecting to see you when the winds nailed on. Or you could even come and do some surf kayaking at dovey and av the social

carlessd
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 224

posted on 11-9-2006 at 20:11 Reply With Quote
i'll be there when the winds up dude. as you know rain an low wind days make perfect kayak days. will miss the socials though mate, andrea an i had a really good night last time at the dovey inn with you all.

top night, top weekend, dovey is well cool

surferboy

Member #: 6889
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 10-8-2007 at 06:03 Reply With Quote
goat boaters can be a real danger in the water

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy