Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: which board
jackoboi

Member #: 8457
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 18-7-2009 at 14:33 Reply With Quote
which board

hi had a starboard wave 88 the first time i rid it i found it was too small. i am an intermeideite(harness+footstaps) child iam 43kgs and 151 cm tall i sail in an inland lake could you surgest a board for me for 13 knots plus. i also have a stict budget of £200. which board should i get the mistral joker 113 (in classifieds) or a smaller or larger board?

Poole Windsurfing
Hot shot

Member #: 8704
Posts 40

Mood:

posted on 25-5-2010 at 12:34 Reply With Quote
Which windsurf board to get?

Which windsurfing board to get - always a difficult choice!

I just saw that no-one had answered your question from last year & thought I would try to give some advice (even if you may now have got a board).

At 43kg you really can get away with a quite small board. If you follow the classic advice of 1kg of weight=1lt of volume float, using the rule that as a beginner should have at least your own body weight + the weight of all the windsurf equipment (15/20kg) in reserve volume then you would be looking at a board of 106lts.

Taking in account that you are an intermediate windsurfer will reduce the size board required but on the other hand you are looking at going out in marginal planing winds (13 knots) on a lake.

A board around 80-105lts should be good, either all-round Freestyle Wave (for easy turning) or more freestyle (if you are looking at getting into the tricks & spins!).

Too big a windsurf board & you will not be able to affect it with your body weight & too small you run the risk of not progressing as quickly as you could because its not forgiving enough or just won't get you up & planing!

Hope this helps you or anyone else who has been looking back at this post for advice.

Poole Windsurfing - Lessons & Hire
http://www.poolewindsurfing.co.uk/

satman

Member #: 9014
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 21-7-2010 at 18:59 Reply With Quote
thanks for that info grommet i tought myself years ago and am now starting again with new kit, well s/h as i havnt sailed for about 15 years so the 1kg to 1ltr was usefull as no one ever told me anything at all, i just got on and kept getting back on until i didnt fall off any more.

cheers

martin

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 22-7-2010 at 19:37 Reply With Quote
Good advice from Poole.

Just a couple of points to add,

Inland its generally more gusy, waveboard rely on the power of a wave. You tend to drop off the plane more Inland on a "full on waveboard" because of the rocker.

Also, remember, your not so bouyant in freash water.

Ok, I know, I'm a kitesurfer, but I do work ata lake lol

Good luck

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

http://www.jonnieeisler.com

Poole Windsurfing
Hot shot

Member #: 8704
Posts 40

Mood:

posted on 23-7-2010 at 12:42 Reply With Quote
Choosing windsurfing equipment

Glad I could help.

Choosing the right windsurfing equipment is a bit of a mine field but by following some basic guidelines you can start to understand what it is you should be looking for.

There is lots more background info in the following articles:
A Guide to Buying Windsurfing Equipment
The Secret to Choosing Beginners Windsurfing Equipment
Windsurf Board, Sail & Fin Size Calculator

Hope this info gives everyone a good insight into knowing what windsurfing equipment is right for them.

Poole Windsurfing - Lessons & Hire
http://www.poolewindsurfing.co.uk/

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy