Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 13-10-2003 at 16:30 Reply With Quote
Channel Crossing

Just seen this on the BBC site:

quote:
A 26-year-old has succeeded in windsurfing across the English Channel in less than 90 minutes.

James Potten, from Yeovil, completed the 21-mile trip on Friday, in just one hour and 24 minutes.

On Thursday, he and two friends - Londoner David Schickler, 25, and Andy Bramah, 25, from Weymouth - had attempted the crossing but were forced back just five miles from Dover by high winds.

Windsurfers are believed to have crossed the Channel before but no official attempt has taken place where coastguards are notified on either side of the water.

'Charity and fun'

The friends got into difficulty on Thursday when the wind caused them to drift apart.

As a consequence they opted for one windsurfer to try the challenge alone.

The group hopes Mr Potten's achievement will now make an entry in the Guinness Book of Records, but Schickler said the main aim of the stunt was for "charity and fun".

Schickler, who drove the safety boat, said his friend reached an average speed of about 20mph and would have finished with a faster time were it not for ships blocking his path.

Mr Bramah was unable to take part again due to work commitments so the two remaining friends decided to let Mr Potten make the attempt as he was "better suited to the conditions".

All three friends are directors of the Student Windsurfing Association and hope the trip will raise several thousand pounds for Children in Crisis, a charity which raises money for youngsters in war-torn countries.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Angry_Apple
Pro

Can't put my finger on it Award 2003

Member #: 272
Posts 75

Mood: angry....yet content

posted on 13-10-2003 at 17:02 Reply With Quote
Apperently, Kirsty Jones(v.v. good kite surfer from Pembrokshire) is attempting the English Channel too, Im not sure if she'sdone it or is about to. She has already competed the Irish sea(from Wales to irland, kite surfing). She also joint owns a Kite Surfing School in Pembrokshire, something on the lines of Blue Line?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 13-10-2003 at 21:32 Reply With Quote
Good on 'em!

I used to work on Cross Channel Ferries, and can safely say that crosing the channel REALLY IS the nautical equivalent of trying to cross the M25! Not surprised to hear that ships got in his way.

There's more to life than KITESURFING!

Let me know when you find it.

firebird
Hot shot

Member #: 350
Posts 48

Mood:

posted on 14-10-2003 at 05:41 Reply With Quote
How long does it take in a ferry?? Less than 90 minutes sounds quite fast, although I heard they were expecting to do it in under an hour.
Simone

Member #: 465
Posts 3

Mood:

posted on 3-12-2003 at 20:26 Reply With Quote
Saw the guy set off on the successful attempt (after pottering around in the harbour for 15 mins or so) I think he was on a slalom type K-bay and 7.5 meter. The support boat was of the ex-camel trophy variety together with "roll over cage"!

he wont have been the first to cross the channel. I met a French guy about 10 years ago - who arrived from the horizon landed, asked where he was and then dissapeared back over the horizon.

On a sunny days guys also sail around the South Goodwins lightship.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 3-12-2003 at 22:04 Reply With Quote
I've heard about Mad Frenchmen being picked up by the Coastguards after stopping for a cigarette whislt windsurfing across the Channel too!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

kiter007

Member #: 7058
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 23-9-2007 at 08:53 Reply With Quote
www.fluidfeeling.com

Hey Watersports fanatics,

Check out this new website,

www.fluidfeeling.com

All sorts of great stuff, especially about worldwide destinations and Instructor programmes with Pro riders.....

Kiter007

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy