Author: Subject: Dahab
Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 15
Posts 388

Mood: Hey Ho

posted on 1-12-2003 at 13:04 Reply With Quote
Dahab

Planning a windsurfing holiday in early Feb.
Well, it's just too damn cold here....

Looking at Dahab, I know some of you have been - so what's it like?

Is Feb a good/bad time to go there?

We're thinking of spending a week there.

borth-rowing-club.org.uk
borthlifeboat.org.uk

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 5-12-2003 at 10:16 Reply With Quote
Where do I start
I went in November stayed at the Swiss Inn and rented kit from fun system

The Hotel was very good staff always helpful, rooms of good standard Food very good buffet style (all you can eat ) would of needed 2 seats on the plane home if I didn't get lots of exercise.

The windsurf centre is just a short walk along the beach and for the early birds if there is an early morning wind the centre opens at 8am ( all other 10am) which is nice cos even if you don't sail early the staff are really for you. I used the naish board most of the time when I was there (110 Titian). The newer boards when I was there were the naish (sept 2003) and the JP's (just out the wrappers). I heard from people used the F2 boards and from one that used on a light wind day they boards were a bit on the slippery side even with boots.
The launch from the centre was a bit tricky due to the windshadow caused by the hotels (wind is cross off) I would of liked to tried a sub 100 board but had trouble with the launch. Once a couple of 100 meters off shore the wind is much better and gets better the nearer the spit you get. I you are happy on a crazed out of control down wind run you can make the speed strip in one from the fun system centre but much better to head for the spit so you can adjust things in the waist deep water there. A few runs in the lagoon to get things sorted (wind abit gusty) the bear off down wind heading back to the centre then head for the speed strip on the outside of the spit.
The wind is much cleaner on the outside and a little stronger too. There is an inflateable island thing with a flag that can be hoisted if the rescue is need. The water is as quite flat with a bit of windchop the further away from the spit you get.
Getting back to the windsurf center was a bit of a struggle at times found the best thing to do was slog up wind close to the shore and only bear away and get on plane about half way across the lagoon. And a little trick just make the inside of the spit on the way up wind and theres a little bend in the wind make it as far up wind then do a little walk of shame (lots of ppl do it) up to the photo tower then its an easy sail back just head for the right centre and upwind as you think you will make it then the wind shadow gets you.

I would recomend the snorkeling its fantastic the blue hole is worth the trip
The evenings where as noise and quiet as we made then (40 plus of us) the quieter people stayed in the swiss inn beach bar where as others when to the speed bar (club Dahab)

Feel free to ask me anything Ive forgot Dave, don't know about the wind stats for Feb sure they must be on web somwhere.

ps get a camel pack stops you havening to come back for a drink when sailing and fresh water tastes so much better than the red sea!

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 388

posted on 7-12-2003 at 18:31 Reply With Quote
Thanks BEFS

Where do I get a camel pack?

Is the safety cover any good, (it's not that I'm scared, but Sarah gets more adventurous with good cover).

We are trying to make up our mind who to go with, and where to stay and hire. i am going to book it this week.

[Edited on 7-12-2003 by Dave]

borth-rowing-club.org.uk
borthlifeboat.org.uk

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 7-12-2003 at 18:59 Reply With Quote
I got my camel pack from an outdoor shop should be able to get one in most cycleshops too.
The safety cover looked ok saw 3 people get picked up all the centres have a boats (they wouldnt' want to lose there kit! )
The person that done our booking had a look at the gannet hotel rooms (club dahab) while we was there and said it was better but still looked very rough (cheaper than the swiss inn though)

All the centres looked to have good kit though

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

Dallas
Beach Bum

Member #: 213
Posts 24

Mood:

posted on 8-12-2003 at 11:39 Reply With Quote
Dahab

Just to add to BEFS' comments.......I got back from Dahab this morning (a little harsh being in work already, but hey - you have to save the holiday). We went with Club Dahab, and I really couldn't fault them. The tuition (included in the price) was excellent, the kit (Fanatic boards & North sails) was all brand new, and they were constantly checking that everyone was safe on the water. We stayed at the Ganet Sinai, which was very nice......although I would recommend paying the extra £20 to stay in one of the superior rooms, as those who stayed in the standard rooms said they were quite shabby. Dahab is an excellent location for all levels and will improve your upwind sailing getting out to the lagoon! We also did the Club Dahab surf and dive package (4 dives during your stay) and the diving is excellent too....well worth doing if your a qualified diver.

From what I understand Jan / Feb are the least consistant times of the year windwise, but it's a great destination and I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 388

posted on 11-12-2003 at 17:09 Reply With Quote
Excellent info - glad you enjoyed your holiday as well

borth-rowing-club.org.uk
borthlifeboat.org.uk

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 388

posted on 3-2-2004 at 17:45 Reply With Quote
Well we heard its not the best time, but it's better than being here.

We are going with Club Dahab on the 22nd. So only a couple of weeks to go. Woo Hoo

borth-rowing-club.org.uk
borthlifeboat.org.uk

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy