justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 17-6-2003 at 17:52 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Mind you I don't suppose I create as much heat as Al with the speed he generates

[Edited on 17-6-2003 by Dave]

Its not the speed, its the proximity to the sun whilst jumping that creates the heat!!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

mikeypies
Beach Bum

Member #: 261
Posts 22

Mood: chilled

posted on 28-6-2003 at 17:02 Reply With Quote
delam

Hi all

Delam boards well I've had a few boards fold on me including major delam also I've done a few major repairs

causes of delam

board vent scewed up when cold then exposed to heat yes in the UK I blew a board apart the bottom went convex never never never leave a board in its bag in the sun or in car/dark van for any lenght of time it will be damaged (vent closed ) dont follow wel get a 2 liter pop bottle cool screw tught then put out in the sun a 80 liter wave board will hold well inexcess of two liters belive me I know to my cost

big flat jumps killed another custom board in Pozo this way the resin they used was shit

rough handeling the sandwich is quite elastic esp airex but polystyrene is not and theres not much resin attaching the two together bang it hard nothing will show but the delam will have started

exhire boards do not buy unless v.cheap (£200 max poss more for a soto board JP ) seen a mistral which was like a sponge only 10 m old fit only scap the rocker was no way like it was new.

secondhand board go over vvcarefully tap top and bottom any hollow sounds walk away its a buyers market

delams spread and spread rapidly catch it early and repair or ignor and buy a new board

What do I do well 2 a year winter and summer preasure test all the boards and equilze any preasure otherwise I leave the vents alone but the boards go from garage to car 15 min to beach sail and then back home if a board is left in the car it is covered by 2 bags and sun roof is left open

When the board is dinged and water gets in do not sail do not use Dr Ding it is crap it is hard and is difficult to seal the ding use araldite rapid cures in 5 m nice and runny and is elastic so it keeps water out if you put tape on the outside the repair is finished esp if the board is old. If water is inside ie lots drill a hole in the end and flush with fresh water leave to dry a couple of weeks then repair.As it is impossible to get all the water out you will have to ultra carefull with temp variations as the water vapour will expand a lot more.

Al with your board try the warenty if that fails go big and cut out the Knackered bit and vac bag some new sandwich in it is easy I've done it loads of times and theres no weight gain I've got the contact details for airex devinacell ect all you need is a vacuum pump (fridge motor) and common sense

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 30-6-2003 at 04:46 Reply With Quote
You're probably right Mikeypies... but vacuum bagging doesn't sound THAT easy!!!

I'll look into it though.

Al.

mikeypies
Beach Bum

Member #: 261
Posts 22

Mood: chilled

posted on 30-6-2003 at 20:11 Reply With Quote
honest it is I've only got 2 o levels and I worked it out next time you are visiting your folks give me a shout

Its not the number/size of the toys that count is how much they are used

jase

Member #: 318
Posts 3

Mood:

posted on 12-8-2003 at 10:17 Reply With Quote
exhire boards

Hi

This is not entirely relevant to the delam issue but i kept noticing references to how bad ex-hire boards are. I have bought sails before from ClubVass and they were fine - although i always bought lighter wind kit in the hope that they weren't used as much. I was thinking of buying a Fanatic Cross 140 from them with the same thinking in mind. They are asking for £349 for a 2003 model cross - is this a bad idea?

thanks for your help

Jase

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 12-8-2003 at 16:09 Reply With Quote
Jase,

Just check the board carefully before you buy it. If theres nothing wrong with it now, then theres probably no reason why it should develop any problems any sooner than any other board. Look for repairs etc as well. If you can see that its been repaired then it probably isn't great. You won't really be able to see a really good repair, and a really good repair won't be a problem anyway as the repair should make it as good as new anyway.

Its always going to be a bit of a gamble buying 2nd hand kit of course, but most of us have no choice as its the only way we can afford to get any kit at all. £349 sounds like a pretty good price for a 2003 board, but just remember, if it sounds like the price is too good to be true then it probably is.

Take a look at the board yourself first if at all possible.

Al.

jase

Member #: 318
Posts 3

Mood:

posted on 12-8-2003 at 21:48 Reply With Quote
Hi Al

Thanks for the info - this helps. The board will come by mail order but they say that if i am not happy with it i can send it back. I'll be extra careful when i check it ;-)

Only thing i didn't ask was: Did you like your cross? The 140 is going to to be for the wife, i was considering the 120 for me ;-)

Jase

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 13-8-2003 at 06:07 Reply With Quote
I always have the same problem. Living here miles from any windsurf shop means that I have to buy everything mail order as well... I hope the board works out OK for you.

Yep, I like the cross. Its not particualrly exciting in any one area, but seems to perform OK in just about everything. Its fast, but not as fast as some, planes relatively early, gybes OK, jumps OK and copes with waves OK. I guess its OK at freestyle as well, but I can't do any so can't comment on that.

Generally its a good allround board. I use mine (Cross 100) as my biggest board with my 5.7 and 6.3m sail in winds from 14-20 knots and any water type from dead flat to about 4 foot waves (8 foot faces).

Let us know how it goes.

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 19-8-2003 at 05:54 Reply With Quote
Well, its finally had it. Its now taken on FAR too much wtaer for me to sail it and has a huige crack across the deck. I can't get it anywhere to get it repaired for a while either (if it is repairable) so it looks as though my biggest board for a few months will be my 84 ltr Hifly, if its not windy enough for that then I guess I'll have to go kite-surfing instead.

Al.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 22-7-2004 at 06:47 Reply With Quote
It's Dead!!!

My Fanatic Cross finally had its last sail at Traigh Lingeigh (North Uist) earlier this month. Before the session the delamination had spread to the whole board, with the underside having a good inch between the outer skin and the inner core (all over the whole of the underside of the board). I could obvioulsy feel and hear the skin flexing and warping as I sailed it, and a few little hairline cracks had appeared in the skin.

By the end of the session these hairline cracks had become wide cracks that stretched across the whole of the board, so the inch wide void between the skin and the core was filled with water... No wonder it felt a little slow!

Not sure if I'll replace it yet or not as I also need a 85 litre board and a small wave board!

Al.

P.S. Anyone want to buy a (well used) 2002 Fanatic Cross!!!

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 22-7-2004 at 07:24 Reply With Quote
go on , go the full hog get em all , u know you want to ,
boot sale this Sunday get up there and stock up !

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 23-7-2004 at 16:39 Reply With Quote

quote:

P.S. Anyone want to buy a (well used) 2002 Fanatic Cross!!!

Does it come with a bucket of epoxy resin and a roll of
gaffer tape?

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy