Author: Subject: Fuerteventura
justanna
Administrator

Member #: 2
Posts 251

Mood:

posted on 3-2-2004 at 11:31 Reply With Quote
Fuerteventura

Has anyone been to fuerteventura recently? Me and Al are planning on going somewhere in July and Fuete looks OK. Plenty for Al to do to keep him busy while I have time to relax.

I'm keen to avoid anywhere too touristy and tacky and Al obviously wants plenty of wind and the option to do lots of things, not just windsurfing.

We've had a look at extremeholidays.com who seem to do the whole package but any other windsurfing tour operators anyone knows of or any other advice would be good.

Thanks
Anna

Jen
Beach Bum

Member #: 501
Posts 24

Mood: NZ is awesome!

posted on 3-2-2004 at 13:10 Reply With Quote
My impression of Fuerteventura is that it hasn't really been overpopulated by tourists yet. The main place to avoid though if you want to avoid tourist tack is Corralejo on the north of the Island. It's the main resort on the island. Sotavento, right on the very south of the Island, has a couple of windsurfing and Kite surfing centres one of them can be found http://www.rene-egli.com/ I'm not sure of the other one....Wes might be able to remember the name. Oh and it's hotter on the south of the island.

There are some entertaining mountain roads to drive around oh and lot of gravel tracks that pass for roads!! Probably good for mountain biking...just remember to head into the wind at the start of your ride!

If you were to stay in the north then there's Flag Beach to windsurf and Kitesurf http://www.flagbeach.com/ />
Hope this is of some help, I don't know any windsurf tour operators for Fuerteventura.

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 15
Posts 388

Mood: Hey Ho

posted on 3-2-2004 at 13:50 Reply With Quote
Sneaky

And you always complain about everyone elses holidays.

borth-rowing-club.org.uk
borthlifeboat.org.uk

justanna
Administrator

Posts 251

Mood:

posted on 3-2-2004 at 16:24 Reply With Quote
Well we have got a good excuse and haven't been on holiday for several years....I think we deserve one!
Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 388

posted on 3-2-2004 at 17:33 Reply With Quote
Yeah, I agree you do deserve a holiday.

borth-rowing-club.org.uk
borthlifeboat.org.uk

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 250
Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 3-2-2004 at 19:39 Reply With Quote
Hi Guys!
we went to Furete sept 2002 & we loved it.i wouldnt really say any of the island is that touristy compared to the other islands,we stayed at Caleta de Fuste in the center of the island(10 mins from Airport)-because a freind lets use their time share for 2 weeks.But every where was within 1hours drive.Corralejo was quite busy but mainly English with flag beach/glass beach 5 mins away,this is where i sailed,seemed more of a wave location than Sotavento when i was there.I hired kit but would take my own next time as it only costs £40 excess if booked on early.I also liked Cotillo not a lot there other than beaches,this is where the 20 footers come in over the winter,scary. There was lots of unoffical camping going on here,on the back of beaches or in the dunes with big frame tents & camper vans,lots of secret sailing spots there as well!!! DONT go to Morro Jable in the south although a nice resort there never seemed to be any wind & must have been 100000 naked germans on the beach,nasty.-the beach was nice though.
Spence...

[Edited on 3-2-2004 by Spencer]

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 3-2-2004 at 20:48 Reply With Quote
Cool... keep the info coming. Just to add to it, this will be our honeymoon, so the unofficial camping will be out as we'll be expecting at least a little bit of comfort.

I won't be taking my own kit either as its all a but crap, so I'd like to find a centre that allows me to use windsurfing and kitesurfing kit (and surfboards of theres no wind), and maybe even have the odd bit of tuition... Am I asking for too much???

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Wes
A Force-of-Nature *

I Love Men in Uniforms!

Member #: 198
Posts 198

Mood: Wanting SW winds!

posted on 4-2-2004 at 12:08 Reply With Quote
Nope - You want to go to Flag Beach. You can hire kit there and take it off around the island to find some other spots. They do windsurf, kitesurf and surfboards with the odd "surf safari" to get to some good spots if that floats your boat and they will do lessons in any sport. The beach there is easy to get to by car, and as long as you dont mind getting a little sand incrusted each time you put on sun cream, not bad for just chilling, saoking up rays and watching the crashes on the water.
I would not go with extreme holidays, I met a couple of guys out there who said that in an entire days kitesurfing they were allowed to do 1 body drag - sounds like expensive tuition! Flag also lets you just hire for the day, which the south resorts in Sotaventa dont, so you can chp and change sports to suit conditions. Oh - both of the southern ones are Rene-egli ones, just at each end of a 4 mile golden beach, one of them doesn't allow kitesurfing........

You have to make sure that you drop into Corkeys bar in Corralejo - the only place we found in the city that had a nice chilled out atmosphere without any pissed up essex house wives singing karoke. It plays windsurf style videos, has pretty good music, Oh, and Guy Crib was hanging around there so we must have chosen well.......

Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 388

posted on 4-2-2004 at 13:25 Reply With Quote
You want to be careful posting details of your Honeymoon; you might have half of F-O-N joining you for the trip.

borth-rowing-club.org.uk
borthlifeboat.org.uk

mexican bandit
Pro

Beach Bum (By special appointment)

Member #: 77
Posts 113

Mood: palm trees and bikinis

posted on 4-2-2004 at 15:01 Reply With Quote
I´m supposed to be going there for work. I have this from my last trip:

The island does feel very empty, except for Corralejo, full of places like the Underground pub, with union-jacks all around.

If you want to surf one of the best waves then visit the lobos island a little boat trip from corralejo, it doesn't get as windy as the rest of the island. Its also a natural reserve, so even if it's flat it's interesting for the visit.

There's a windsurf-kitesurfing place on the beach before Corralejo, among the white sand dunes. Can't remember the name, but they do hire and tuition.

Be carefull with the dirt tracks, you'll feel you can push the little rent-a-car into rally moves and end up grounding it on the sand banks either side of the track- or at least I did.

If you're after a self-cattered rural house in one of the inland villages I can put you in touch with a guy who rents them. Could be usefull if you want to stay for more than the usual package holiday stay +2 weeks, however it could get boring after the second week.

"Why should I have to WORK for everything?! It's like saying I don't deserve it! " C&H

Spencer
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 250
Posts 282

Mood:

posted on 4-2-2004 at 20:43 Reply With Quote
Flag beach web site is pretty good with all the usall stuuf like wind stats etc. http://www.flagbeach.com/main.php .

The only thing to watch out for when hiring kit from them si they run a 'you break you pay scheme'
seen someone having to purchase a trashed North Dr x.
Spence...

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by Spencer]

[Edited on 4-2-2004 by Spencer]

Wes
A Force-of-Nature *

I Love Men in Uniforms!

Posts 198

posted on 5-2-2004 at 12:21 Reply With Quote
Thats true - The hire centre on Wikiki beach in Corralejo does the same - got a little worried when the wind died when I was a mile off shore on a brand spanking new Mistral Switch and Gastra rig - thought I was going to have to pay for the lot!
Lofly
Grommet

Member #: 373
Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 5-2-2004 at 12:54 Reply With Quote

Lofly
Grommet

Member #: 373
Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 5-2-2004 at 13:06 Reply With Quote
...that's better, I've figured out this writing lark this time-We went through Flag Beach last year- they can sort you out with self catered accomodation, car hire etc through their own contacts, and won't charge the earth. The German guy doing the kiting bit last year was a total w*nker, but the rest of them are good blokes! - I'd never hired before, but at this place you put your name down for the board you want at the start of the week- then if the conditions aren't quite right it's a dogfight for who gets the rest of the unreserved kit!
I got away with a 74l goya nearly all week, but i may have been lucky......
the conditions are side shore and flattish (but not great for beginners (chop hoppy I suppose) If you're fortunate you may get the odd side-onshore day that can throw up a fair old swell which is great for port tack jumping - just like Rhossy (but warmer and with more naked Germans)

justanna
Administrator

Posts 251

Mood:

posted on 5-2-2004 at 14:07 Reply With Quote
Mmmmmm.....naked Germans! When are we going Al??
Jen
Beach Bum

Member #: 501
Posts 24

Mood: NZ is awesome!

posted on 5-2-2004 at 16:07 Reply With Quote
Oh yeah....forgot about the nude beach! There are a couple of big hotels in the Dunes just before Corallejo, they kind of mark the boundary. you're allowed to go completely naked on the beach the otherside of the hotels from Corallejo.....
....though sun cream, sand, wind and exposed body parts do not mix well!!

justanna
Administrator

Posts 251

Mood:

posted on 5-2-2004 at 16:21 Reply With Quote
Is that experience you're saying that from then Jen??
Dave
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 388

posted on 5-2-2004 at 17:02 Reply With Quote
Anna, be careful what you wish for.

I was snokling at a nude beach in Lanzaote, when a fat hairy German bloke swam over the top of me. Not a pretty site.

Oh yeah - watchout - as Jen says, there are some tender bits that haven't seen much sun before.

[Edited on 5-2-2004 by Dave]

borth-rowing-club.org.uk
borthlifeboat.org.uk

Wes
A Force-of-Nature *

I Love Men in Uniforms!

Posts 198

posted on 5-2-2004 at 19:43 Reply With Quote
Should I post the 'tan lines' photo Jen?

Don't worry Anna - there are some fat naked French, English and Spanish people as well as the Germans!

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 5-2-2004 at 19:47 Reply With Quote
Yeah...post the tan lines photo!!!

I don't like the sound of fat naked people mind, and I don't like the sound of having to pay for broken kit either, can't you get insurance to cover that sort of thing?

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy