Daniel
Hot shot

Member #: 564
Posts 41

Mood: Chuffed!

posted on 26-2-2004 at 15:42 Reply With Quote
Hi

Hi Guys,
This is my first post. So here is a big hello from me. Does anyone else on this forum live in the Barry/Cardiff area?

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 28-2-2004 at 18:19 Reply With Quote
hi Dan yes icertainly live close , where do you sail , COLD KNAP ?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
Daniel
Hot shot

Posts 41

posted on 1-3-2004 at 10:36 Reply With Quote
I'm trying to get back into the sport after a 4 year lay-off. I use to sail in Tenby, Dale and Broadhaven as well as many BFA/BWA and Longboard events around the country but never tried the Knapp. I'm looking to give it a go down there when the weather warms up! Do you sail there? Have you any tips?
ste
Hot shot

Member #: 193
Posts 45

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2004 at 13:51 Reply With Quote
Daniel

I locally and sail in Tenby a lot (member of the new club with showers etc for circa 30 quid a year!) and also (trying to) sail in Newgale and Broadhaven increasingly.

Also been experimenting with Pendine and FWWest and hope to borrow a jetski to sail off Caldey soon!

There's a couple of others who come down from your neck of the woods also.

Let me know if you need any further info....but in a nutshell people are always out if its windy ie

NE try Tenby
SW try Tenby or Bhaven
NW try Newgale or Bhaven
SE try Newgale
W or E try Pendine?
SE to S try FWwest?

Let me know if you need any more info

Regards,
Ste

Daniel
Hot shot

Posts 41

posted on 1-3-2004 at 14:36 Reply With Quote
Excellent wind info, Im starting to get my kit together ready for heading down your way every weekend come the warmer weather... so far I have a 6.0 NS Spectro and a NP 7.0 VX. I may get a 5-5.5? I've also got my eye on a few 2nd hand boards like the Mistral Flow 276. Is there still a carpark at South Beach? Does it get busy? I hear the traffic is a nightmare in the summer months! I've been in touch with the Tenby & District windsurfing Club, they said they would keep me up to date on any plans. I don't remeber many local windsurfers, the only ones I knew lived in Dale/Broadhaven.
ste
Hot shot

Member #: 193
Posts 45

Mood:

posted on 1-3-2004 at 16:34 Reply With Quote
Yep the carpark is still there...does get busy in the height of the summer though (ie Bank hols) and you have to pay £1 a day.

At the moment parking is also free and empty - it aint cold so come down whenever its windy.

Basically if its a warm and lovely day with F1-F3 then the beach can get busy in the peak fortnight in July.

Outside of this time and when its actually windy then as youd expect less people are keen to sit on the beach!

There are 3 regular "local" sailors in Tenby out whenever its windy thoroughout winter - double that when it warms up a bit in the spring - plus visitors. There are also approx 5 local kitesurfers using Tenby.

Im personally trying to get more into waves and so exploring Ngale and BHaven more and more.

re: PLANS FOR THE WINDSURF CLUB
The club just bought a large jetski for rescue cover / summer evening wakeboarding, and also a Tractor(!) to pull it up/down the beach.

Steve

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 356

posted on 1-3-2004 at 23:04 Reply With Quote
Dan some good sailing to be had at knapp and porthcawl and certainly saves on the drive to tenby ,
Theres a good friendly crowd at knapp when the weather breaks with a mix of abillity. has good summer sea breaze and less that 15mins drive .
call down next windy wkend for a chat i,m usally about in a big blue transit .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status
Shaka
Hot shot

Member #: 252
Posts 63

Mood: Frustrated - im working

posted on 2-3-2004 at 08:59 Reply With Quote
A question for you guys living in Wales - im actually looking at making windsurfing & outdoor activities more of lifestyle for me over the next couple of years (inspired by Al).
I enjoy windsurfing, Walking, surfing, mountain biking etc.

Not sure how to do it but one thing is to obviously move closer to the coast and appropriate areas for these activities. One area I do like is South Wales - I have also looked at West Midlands (Shrewsbury, Telford etc).

What jobs do you guys work in? Im retraining at college at the moment (plumber & carpentry) but worried everyone is doing the same so not sure if opportunities exist. Other job ideas greatly received ie what is the main employment in for example, South Wales.

I currently work in an office and its doing my dome in, the money is okish but that's all. I live for the w/e and this is very frustrating when I cant get out on the water.

Sorry for the questions; and yes I know im another bloody Englishmen coming over but im doing it for the lifestyle so any help/ideas appreciated.

cheers
shaka

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 2-3-2004 at 17:03 Reply With Quote
Plumbers are certainly in short supply here if thats any help...

Anna has even thought of training to be a plumber as that seems to be where the money is at the moment!!

Al.

P.S. Glad to see I've been an inspiration to someone... my Mum will be pleased!

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

griptool
Pro

Wipeout of the Year Award 2004

Member #: 239
Posts 80

Mood: Gripped

posted on 2-3-2004 at 18:58 Reply With Quote
Plumbing can be well paid, but all the media hype is giving the wrong impression. To earn good money you have to work for yourself and be prepared to spend some of your life upto your elbows in other peoples sh!t.

If you move to london and are happy to rip off old ladys the living can be easy.

Tell Anna to think again

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 2-3-2004 at 20:24 Reply With Quote
Don't worry...she isn't doing it for real, but she would make more money doing it than working in the univeristy like she does now.

I would too, and as I already do various odd jobs for people around here (self-employed), I tend to spend half of my time up to my elbows in other people sh!t anyway, but don't get paid much for the priveledge!!!.... I have a good client base though if I ever did decide to become a plumber, but I just don't have the time to train properly, so I guess I'll just stick to doing what I'm doing now!... I a getting more web design work though so thats a good thing... And most importantly I'm getting out on the water a lot and keeping that all important Stoke Factor sky high!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 356

posted on 2-3-2004 at 23:23 Reply With Quote
seems plenty of work for plumbers/chippys cardiff area ,mate is chippy never out of work always seems to pick the building sites building close to water ,currenty working within site of local beach for last 12mts with plent more work yet he says .
Shaka
Hot shot

Member #: 252
Posts 63

Mood: Frustrated - im working

posted on 3-3-2004 at 08:14 Reply With Quote
Cheers for the info guys - it does settle my mind a bit. Im certainly not doing it for the money but more of a lifestyle - work to live rather living to work.

The immediate sacrifice might be that I wont get out on the water as much whilst I build on my expereince and have to work weekends - worth it though if it allows me to eventually get out where I want to live and enjoy what I do.

It wont happen for while unforntatley as I need to boost my savings to allow me to change careers.

Al - although you dont need me to tell you but I would stick to the web design. Your site is certainly one of the most user friendly & fastest I know. The forum, diaries etc are well designed with excellent features. Encorugaes you to come back to the site.
(all this praise - make sure you can get out through the door with a big head).

cheers again - Anyone doing a wind dance?? - if you are it aint working on the South Coast. Forecast is for variable winds mainly northerly and about 5mph. Come on spring - bring on those summer breezes, not long now!!!!

shaka

Daniel
Hot shot

Posts 41

posted on 3-3-2004 at 13:06 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kelvin
Dan some good sailing to be had at knapp and porthcawl and certainly saves on the drive to tenby ,
Theres a good friendly crowd at knapp when the weather breaks with a mix of abillity. has good summer sea breaze and less that 15mins drive .
call down next windy wkend for a chat i,m usally about in a big blue transit .

I will indeed, the big problem I have at the moment is lack of wheels (or should I say 'lack of suitable wheels'). I own a Alfa GTV and you can't get roofracks for them My old dear who lives in Penarth has offered to lend me her camper for weekends away in West Wales. When it warms up a bit I may even call a local minibus to drop me off down the Knapp
What can I expect in the way of wind in the summer down the Knapp? I own a 6.0 + 7.0 slalom sails? what type of board would you recommend? I've been looking at Mistral Flows as they seem to do it all reasonably well.

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 356

posted on 3-3-2004 at 22:54 Reply With Quote
previosly owned 2 flows a 266/284 both great boards and served me well .As for a recomendation for warmer months sailing it all depends on your own experience, if you check through my diary entries on this site you,ll see my most used is a waveboard/5.3m combo .
Daniel
Hot shot

Posts 41

posted on 4-3-2004 at 09:01 Reply With Quote
quote:
previosly owned 2 flows a 266/284 both great boards and served me well .As for a recomendation for warmer months sailing it all depends on your own experience, if you check through my diary entries on this site you,ll see my most used is a waveboard/5.3m combo .

Thats windy I guess I will have to get myself a wave/freewave 5-5.5 as well as a board. The reason I'm thinking of a Mistral flow 276 is because they can handle the lighter wind days with big sail and fin yet they can feel at home with a wave/freestyle fin and small rig. I will pop down the Knapp this weekend and see if you are around.

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 356

posted on 4-3-2004 at 11:56 Reply With Quote
276 flow will feel big with a 5m on at Knap unless your a big guy , although the waves dont run that big this far up channel , the chop on a normal day can only be described as SEVERE with a average 10m + tide theres a lot of water moving , but board wil work well with 6-7m. wont be about this wkend northly winds no good at knap. Waiting for s.w. probally going weston next wkend for demo. Also still doing bit of road running(racing) hoping to get a few more events in .

Daniel
Hot shot

Posts 41

posted on 4-3-2004 at 12:48 Reply With Quote
quote:
276 flow will feel big with a 5m on at Knap unless your a big guy , although the waves dont run that big this far up channel , the chop on a normal day can only be described as SEVERE with a average 10m + tide theres a lot of water moving , but board wil work well with 6-7m. wont be about this wkend northly winds no good at knap. Waiting for s.w. probally going weston next wkend for demo. Also still doing bit of road running(racing) hoping to get a few more events in .

I weigh about 90kg so I guess thats heavy.....What do category do you race in? 10 Years back when I was 14-16 I raced a few BFA events, IMCO championships in Dale and the 4-Nations Cup in Largs(Scotland), Kinsale(Ireland) and Plas Menai up North Wales. All mostly longboard racing apart from the BFA events. Longboard racing sucks.....Infact, one of the seniors on the Wales team lives and sails down the Knapp, I think his name was John, drives a big talbot motorhome?

kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 356

posted on 4-3-2004 at 22:58 Reply With Quote
Yes John Greewood still races all over county and regulary sails at knapp though hes pushing on in years now he still sails very well .The talbot motohomes gone replaced by a Royal, there are several other locals who used to travell and race with John who you would no dought recognise visually .
Daniel
Hot shot

Posts 41

posted on 5-3-2004 at 08:48 Reply With Quote
thats the man! He got me into racing for the Welsh Team in about 93'. I can remember wiping him out in the UKBSA event in Felixstowe

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy