Author: Subject: flash harry
preacherman
Beach Bum

Member #: 560
Posts 26

Mood:

posted on 16-3-2004 at 15:16 Reply With Quote
flash harry

I have a feeling that I may be in the market for some new kit in time for the summer, but I'm not sure if it will be new or second hand - depends how frightened I get of 2004 prices (which is currently quite frightened).

I'd be looking to replace my beloved Fanatic Bee 267 (93ltr?) which fits between a 125ltr board and a wave board and is probably the most used board I have. I'd want to use it on the south coast (bump and jump) with sails from 5m to 6.5m. Second hand I had been thinking of a Cross 90, JP Freestyle Wave, MP Style. If it were new then JP FW, Fanatic Triple X and Mistral Synchro review well. Anyone got any suggestions for a peachy 90-100ltr board. I like speed, jumping and I'd like to get a little more throwabout with freestyle than I have been in the past but I'll never be a freestyle king.

I'm also in the market for a new 6.5m sail. Currently have a twin cam blaster, which is great for the lighter end of its range, but it isn't so good when it gets a bit lumpier. I like everything I hear about the Tush Storm but the 6.5 is the largest in the range, so I'm a bit wary it may not get the full benefit of the design. Again, anyone got any views on a decent bump and jump sail - not too slow, but more versatile than the straightliner I've currently got. It would have fit between a 7.8 and a 5.7. I've only ever owned Pryde and Tushingham in the past - not quite sure how that happened.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 16-3-2004 at 16:48 Reply With Quote
I've sailed the Cross 90 and JP FS Wave, both are nice. TI also tired a 94 ltr Naish Supercross at the weekend which was nice too. It was fast and smooth, and presumably being a 'Supercross' board is OK at Freestyle too, but I'm not qualified to put it through its paces in that respect. It seemed to jump quite nicely too.

As far as sails go, as usual I'll point you to the Gun Range as they are just as good as any other and a lot cheaper. Something like the 6.8m Flash or 6.7m Jam.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

shawn
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 403
Posts 255

Mood: Chilled

posted on 17-3-2004 at 09:20 Reply With Quote
The JP boards are absolutely fantastic and everything i've ever wanted from a board. However, I had to sell mine while it was still in 1 piece - they seem incredibly fragile, esp on the front where the mast hits the nose during bails. Check out the number of them on the water that have had 'nose jobs'!! Don't know if they have sorted this out on this years model..... any other comments on this?

Don't have a cow man!

preacherman
Beach Bum

Member #: 560
Posts 26

Mood:

posted on 1-4-2004 at 13:42 Reply With Quote
OK. Thanks for the comments so far. Decision is Cross 90 or JP Freestyle Wave 94 - can't afford new stuff.

and just to be completely indecisive: should I be thinking Cross 100 for the extra volume with a 6.5m?oh hell - I don't know.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 1-4-2004 at 18:45 Reply With Quote
I've got a Cross 100 if that helps.... its a nice board, fast, but fine for use in waves. I've used it no problem in mast high waves with a 5.7m sail

I tend to only use it with my 5.7m and 6.3m sail, but it will hold up to a 7m. I use it in 14-25 knot winds really. Nice and easy to sail and doesn't feel too big. You can use it with smaller sails, but I change down to a smaller board when its 5m weather.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy