Nick
Pro

Member #: 218
Posts 118

Mood: don't like winter.....too dark

posted on 9-8-2004 at 13:27 Reply With Quote
long range boom query

Hi All,

After a fairly destructive visit to Borth a couple of months ago I need to purchase a new boom. My ancient spare Tushingham boom is truly horrible, fits sloppily and even has imperial boom length markings.

Ideally I'd like a boom that covers my entire quiver (4.5m/161-8.0m/216) and the Maui Magic Vision 162-222 appears to offer this range. Does anyone use one of these and would you recommend them? Do things get a bit loose when using the maximum length? Finally does it have boom length markings in cm or does it just have a holes marked 1-20? Can someone explain why they do this - it just seems daft to me?

Thanks in advance

Nick

ps watch out for the pebbly patch in the Dovey estuary near the sand bar ....I thought it was just getting deeper and the resulting high speed wipeout cost me a boom and fin!

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 9-8-2004 at 21:43 Reply With Quote
Ive got the bigger brother of the vision boom, I think its the Nova pro ? its too dark to go out to the garage and look at the moment.
I was using this boom at its near its max length and it was fine for a while but things got a bit sloppy as the rivets come lose I replaced the rivets with bolts and it looks ok I only keep it as a spare now cos I got a nice new mk carbon jobby for about £30 more than a new ally boom.
I found the clamp was a bit of a pain too sometimes if you wanted to move boom up or down you would have to let the outhaul off as the ends of the clamp would jam together rather than one sliding under the other.(soon sorted with a sharp knife)
The markings are printed next to the holes in cm the boom which are the first things to dissappear they never seemed right anyway I mostly rig outhaul by feel......works most of the time

befs

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

Nick
Pro

Member #: 218
Posts 118

Mood: don't like winter.....too dark

posted on 10-8-2004 at 08:35 Reply With Quote
Thanks BEFS, since I posted the message I've had a good look at the options. A quick check of the Boards forums highlighted the MK booms as a good choice. Got to say I am tempted by the carbon one too - it has the same range as the vision, but should be stiffer. How have you found yours? Are the length markings in cm? what did you pay and where from?

The twin end ergo grip (massive range 145-245) looks like a neat solution too - anyone used one of these?

Thanks

Nick

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 10-8-2004 at 10:12 Reply With Quote
Im very happy with it so much better than the ally one makes the sail a lot more stable as there isn't the flex in the boom, had to learn how to pump the sail again. I bought it direct from MK web page as it was a previous years model
The markings are in cm but have rubbed off in places.

Befs

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

AndyW
A Force-of-Nature **

Walk Of Shame Award 2003 & 2004

Member #: 168
Posts 382

Mood:

posted on 10-8-2004 at 10:43 Reply With Quote
Nick,

I've noticed MK selling factory direct on ebay.

They appeared to be posting 1 boom per week for aution. Brand new factory direct. Cann't remember if they were carbon though.

Might be worth a look.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 10-8-2004 at 15:43 Reply With Quote
I used to have a twin end MK Series 6 boom.... It was fine when I had it. I'm not quite sure what happened to it though.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy