Author: Subject: Trashing your kit on a road
Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 394
Posts 308

Mood: waitin for the next blow!

posted on 24-8-2004 at 23:34 Reply With Quote
Trashing your kit on a road

If you've read my last diary entry; you'll see I managed to leave all my gear behind on a busy main A road.
Has anyone else had roof rack failure before causing there kit to get trashed?

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 25-8-2004 at 05:29 Reply With Quote
Doesn't sound too good Jonny... It cold well be the roofrack that broke, some cheaper models aren't THAT strong and the boards you have are pretty heavy... The feet that attach the roofrack to the car are often the weak point. I always used to check mine regularly and would find that they had often worked loose...And that was with a good quality Thule Rack.

Lucky no one got hurt really. And lucky you have old boards that are much more durable than modern boards.. New boards don't even survive a drop from your hands onto pebbles without some damage let alone a 65mph impact onto tarmac... Hope its all OK and you're back out there soon.... If not it'll be a good excuse to get some newer kit! .

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 25-8-2004 at 08:42 Reply With Quote
Hope your kits ok. Ive been lucky never had it happen to me I was never keen on putting too much stuff on the roof. Most I ever put up there was a board or maybe 2 at a push. When I changed my car I made sure I got one with roof rails for a better anchor point. them found a better option of managing to squeeze it all inside the car. I see some cars and what they have on the roof is scary I remmber seeing a pug 306 with a pile of kit bigger than the car doing 80+ on the A3.

Dont know what car u have but I got a halfords rack for a cavalier in my taking up space in my garage

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 394
Posts 308

Mood: waitin for the next blow!

posted on 25-8-2004 at 17:02 Reply With Quote
Inspected all the kit and it seems fine. Only noticable damage is a small crack in the bic rumba and an inch shaved of both fins. The Astro Rocks fine and hardly picked up a scratch, remarkable considering the speed I was doing.
Thanks for the offer of a roof rak BEFS but Ive managed to repair the front roof rack which feet were bent from the impact. The clamps that adjust to the width of the roof had come slightly loose; with all that upward pressure, they expanded even further causing the feet of the front roof rack to come adrift. The whole lot began lifting which in turn woulda ripped the rear roof rack outa place.
All the equipment which was tied together well musta gained some considerable height which helped burn of all that speed before impacting the road.
The roof racks I use are Paddy Hopkirk which clamp onto my mk2 Golf. They've always been reliable in the past sometimes carrying heavy loads such as Hang Gliders and best of all a 2 seater sofa Mr. Bean style. Ive never inspected them properly since I got them and the mountings had worked there way loose. Just gotta make sure in future that the front racks tied down really well.
Was gonna go out for a session this evening but it was a late high tide near enough at dusk so wasn't worth the trip in the end.
Its a pity the whole lot wasn't trashed completely in a way which would be a good excuse to get some newer kit. I'd have to get a job before that happens and Im very tempted for some kitesurfing gear too as well as a paraglider.
If only I had the money

eeski
Grommet

Member #: 930
Posts 6

Mood: waiting for the wind again!!!!

posted on 25-8-2004 at 18:25 Reply With Quote
i would not like that at all i hope it is not to bad , you lucky no one was hurt as it could of put someone in hospital. but all the best to get it sorted so you don't miss out on all this wind we have been having

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy