Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Where to learn wavesailing?
ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 8-9-2002 at 09:27 Reply With Quote
Where to learn wavesailing?

Hi peeps, I have a couple of weeks hols from 21st September... will be hitching up Abbi the Adventurer (Caravans are trendy now, it's official - sed do on the BBC!) and first port of call will be Coverack. It's one of my fave places in the world, and want to get a couple of days tuition to repeat my one and only carve gybe (in May!) and get my level 4... means I can go for my level 3 instructors ticket you see. Why am I waffling such b*****x?!

The point of the post IS.... my chum & I really want to get into wavesailing, probably in Wales. We're looking for somewhere we can lynch an instructor only if the conditons are right. Is Dale any good? Any other suggestions? No doubt a yellow caravan will be blotting the Borth landscape at some point

Cheers peeps,

Andrew

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 8-9-2002 at 09:30 Reply With Quote
Andrew...
Hows this for a quick reply!?
Dale is OK, but not much in the way of wave-sailing...You best bet in Wales will be Rhosneigr.. Phone Funsport before hand and see what they can organise.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 8-9-2002 at 09:36 Reply With Quote
Other than that, just come to Borth... you don't need an instuctor when there are other windsurfers around. Just chat to them and they'll all give you tips and local info.

I've never had a lesson in my life, and although I'm not THAT good, I can sail OK. Especially when it comes to getting to grips with sailing in waves, theres not that much that an instructor can tell you, its just practise, practise, practise. Most of it boils down to being relaxed and able to react to the changing sea surface, the sort of things that can't be taught, but just develop with time spent on the water. Obviously stnce etc does play a part in it and that can be adjusted by a good instructor, but watching others and 'doing what they do' (or not doing what the ones struggling do!) is also a good way of learning.

Al.

Joe
Pro

Member #: 27
Posts 76

Mood: hanging loose

posted on 8-9-2002 at 20:44 Reply With Quote
Hi Andrew,

Al has got a number of good points. If you have never (or only rarely) sailed on the sea Borth is a very good place to do so. Unless the conditions are really hard core i.e. winds of force 6 or more it is not too hard to sail there.
Besides, there is an estuary close by and if it gets too rough you can always go there. In fact you can sail out of the estuary into the waves until you feel they are just enough for you to handle. We did this just for fun on Saturday. Also see the diary entry for that day (07/09/02).
The place is not crowded but you will usually find someone if there is any wind at all.

So keep us informed about your plans.

See you there when it¥s windy....

Joe

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Posts 214

posted on 10-9-2002 at 06:27 Reply With Quote
OK, OK, I'm convinced! Look out for a yellow car and someone falling off an Axxis a lot, roundabout the end of September.

Thanks for the input chaps, but more ideas welcome if anyone has anything to add....

Andrew

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 10-9-2002 at 21:28 Reply With Quote
Andrew...give me a ring once you know when you'll be here... I'll be able to show you around and you can come here for a beer or two and the usual evening of windsurf videos!!.

Will you still be around (in Wales) for the Gower Trip?

Al.

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Posts 214

posted on 11-9-2002 at 03:46 Reply With Quote
Certainly am 'off'... was planning to visit sailing (cat) chum at Bala, but Gower sounds preferable. Must discuss 1st with Andy (mate I'm coming with), who is CURRENTLY on his hols in Rhodes with his girlfriend... some bo***x about pacifying her to allow him ANOTHER 2 week windsurf holiday with me! Still, I can't talk with a 12-month holiday coming up soon (Have I mentioned my year's windsurfing hol yet?!)
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 11-9-2002 at 06:05 Reply With Quote
Yes...you MAY have mentioned it once or twice!!

But we haven't heard all the details yet.

Al.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy