Author: Subject: Inland Waters to Kitesurf
smews

Member #: 1020
Posts 4

Mood:

posted on 10-10-2004 at 20:13 Reply With Quote
Inland Waters to Kitesurf

Hi there,

I live in the Oxfordshire, there is a local reserviour near Banbury which allows me to Kite Surf. Unfortunately local fishermen are trying to stop it. At present I am aproaching Draycote water with risk assessments, site plans for launching kites and putting a proposal of a postive club together. As I work along side Councils with Health & Safety I know of the diffcuities, we as Kite surfers face with bans on benches let alone getting on inland waters. Does anyone know of other inland waters which allow Kite surfing?

Regards

Stephen
mews9@aol.com
I will keep you updated of progress.

steveo
Pro

aka Whooooosh!

Member #: 164
Posts 116

Mood: Living Life on The EDGE!

posted on 10-10-2004 at 20:21 Reply With Quote
inland water kitesurfing

Kitesurfing on Draycote Water has been banned by seven trent who own the site, The wind can be very gustie, and the surround area is covered by some trees, and rocks plus a sailing club with lots of boats to get your lines tangled round, chat to mark dunkly he is a member on this site who used to kite on the lake.

cheer :cool3d

steveo

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 12-10-2004 at 13:36 Reply With Quote
Hi Smews,

As Steve says Kiteing is banned on Draycote.

Draycote water sailing club have sole sailing rights on the water, But kitesurfing has been banned by Seven Trent our landlords. Apparently the decision was made by all the water authourities at a meeting down south.

I'm Bosun (drive the rescue boat) and used to kite at Draycote and there were no accidents, But to be honest it was a nightmare and an accident waiting to happen. One of the main problems is there's nowhere to launch really, couple that with inland gusty winds , you've got a recipie for disaster.

BKSA guide lines say ( I think ! ), 2 clear line lengths down wind to launch, There's nowhere on Draycote , as you're only meant to launch from the sailing club site. Also, its a really busy water,sometimes at the weekend with open meetings, 15+ fishingboats, bank fishermen, 60 sailing boats, 20+ windsurfers all in 650 acers. Good luck with your risk assessment.

I like to think I'm a quite competent Kitesurfer, and Kitesurfing inland's crap.

Get yourself down to Ynyslas and join the Borth masiff !

[Edited on 13-10-2004 by dunk]

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy