Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
Author: Subject: What board and fins does everyone use?
booger
Pro

Member #: 1324
Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 24-5-2005 at 10:31 Reply With Quote
What board and fins does everyone use?

i ride a 4play mitch rawlins 41.5 with churchill fins, what does everyone else ride n how much do u pay for a decent board over there these days?
Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 24-5-2005 at 16:38 Reply With Quote
I only get to ride a couple of times a year because i dont live near the coast. So, i bought myself a 40" Manta Elite like 3 years ago, and its still in good condition (because i dont ride much)...that set me back £99 with free leash, bag and wax. 60/40 rails - lightweight extruded pp core - channel bottom - swallow tail.
I think Manta originates from Australia, is it highly used over there? As i mentioned earlier i use rheos, but now im thinking of buying a pair of Churchill's

booger
Pro

Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 25-5-2005 at 08:22 Reply With Quote
not that many people ride manta in aus and i think it is an aussie brand, its started to be viewed as a kook board now mainly because of all the cheap crap boards they make, but they still make some sik boards like the lester etc. most people here ride NMD's, 4play, Nomad, ms science do you guys get these boards over there?? Do you not live near the coast airborne?
Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 25-5-2005 at 12:44 Reply With Quote
Yes we have some 4play stuff, like the Element, Hardy, Rawlins and Rose bodyboards but not a lot at all in the rest of those makes you listed...i reckon manta do some good boards, obviously because i ride less i dont want to spend too much so the cheaper price is better for me, yeh ure right the Lester Pro is good, other ones like Five07, Phoenix and Manta Pro XBT are cool too.
If you really want to go cheap then the Alder range are sold in the UK. I think us Brits quite like BZ and Genesis, ive also heard that the Mike Stewart range are popular in the UK.
Yeh, thats right booger i live in the midlands of the UK so i dont live near the coast, the sea closest to me is usually dirty and no waves...my best chance is in Wales, but i go down to Devon and then to the South usually once every year, then a summer holiday in France near Lacanau Ocean and Hossegor...i still need to see the Nequay area though :

[Edited on 25-5-2005 by Airborne]

booger
Pro

Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 25-5-2005 at 12:52 Reply With Quote
all 4plays are sik, my rawlins is dead and im thinking of getting a rose or hardy next (mainly a rose cause he is a awsome bloke) but the NMD's are localy made on goldcoast and are sik as boards, my mate rides the nmd winchester and it goes soooo hard, and nomad are a new brand from vicco and matt lackey rides for them i got a lackey board and it goes awsome. A few people ride BZ boards but for what u get its way to expensive like who would pay $600 for a hubb when you can get a nmd ben player for $299?. it must suck driving for hours to get to the coast and see the water is dirty, waves are crap, 50knt onshore, water is 2degrees and air temp is -5 haha, god i love living on goldy haha
Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 26-5-2005 at 08:06 Reply With Quote
Hey booger...

I've got an 42" Ion with Hydrotech Fins. I spent £160 on it (no idea what that is in Aus $) I hate the fins at the moment tho and despite all the "technology" thats supposed to be in them I think they're utterly crap, i'm going to get myself a good old pair of Churchills in a couple of weeks.

As for driving for hours and hours to get to dirty water with no waves... you couldn't be more wrong. I'm not saying that we have better more consistant waves than you because that just isn't the case. But we are a small Island and because of that fact (and where I live) I can get to either the west coast if theres an Atlantic swell or the east coast if theres a swell in the North sea after a fairly resonable drive. - Which I hasten to add we only make after checking the weather report and bouy data to find out whats happening with regards to waves.

The water isn't dirty either.... its just cold. But if you love waves and you live in England, the best ones are usually in winter so you just grit your teeth and get on with it.

Wasn't summer great? I think it was on a Thursday!

booger
Pro

Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 26-5-2005 at 11:11 Reply With Quote
haha yeah mate i was just stirring ya, but deadset how do your balls survive in winter there, i would be scared they would freeze off, its not even winter here now and im already in a springy cause i am a bitch i dont rekon i could surf in winter there i would die. but i could guarantee you that you would get more consistent bigger swell then the goldy and definately less crowded, if that isnt true god it must be shit there. What is an ion? never heard of that. By hydrotech do you mean tech2's? waste of money i rekon u can get churchills for almost half the price
Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 278

posted on 26-5-2005 at 12:48 Reply With Quote
Yeah.. tell me about the Tech2's. I saw them and thought to myself..."wow! look at all the fancy jargon speak, they must be awesome"....they're a waste of time. I could paddle faster without them on. horrible things. Still..... you got to try these things out, if it wasn't for people like me the word wouldn't spread about how rubbish things were!

Your right....In the winter here the waves can be awesome here, and very consistant. The beauty of it is that only the hardcore devoted surfers will be in the water. i can be at my usual break with just me and 2 mates and not see anyone else all day. It may be snowing...... but sometimes you just got to get on with it......
I wear a 5/4mm wetsuit with 0.5mm neoprene rash vest underneath, obviously gloves (3mm) are essential otherwise your hands are so numb you cannt hold your board. and some neoprene socks as well otherwise your feet will be so numb when you get back to land you won't be able to walk...haa haa. Personally I dont wear a Hood as I feel it gets in the way, I just try to ignore the head freeze headaches as best as I can.

With regards to Ion boards heres the website http://www.ionbodyboards.com/

I believe that they were bought out by Wave Rebel last year and the product as seriously gone down hill. Might just be false gossip though. Got my board about a year and a half ago so got an "original" if you can call it that.
Its a very very fast,thin and responsive board and has some unique channel designs on the underside. I love it to bits... its the equivalent to a small fast sports car, your always on the edge of a total wipeout, its very unforgiving.
Still...... I think its great.

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 27-5-2005 at 18:17 Reply With Quote
All great thoughts guys. Stop making me miss bodyboarding even more!
Im not saying that the sea is dirty all around Great Britain, just in some parts of the East Coast including places around Skeggy. Notice that in the stormrider guide europe on page 82, the east anglia pages have black and white images to represent how grotty the sea can be. Mentions of condoms and silt etc. Robin Hood Bay seems to be the only place that works on the East as well.
Cant wait for Lacanau Ocean, France (page 152)

booger
Pro

Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 28-5-2005 at 03:53 Reply With Quote
here's a pic of how dirty the water is here in aus, haha, that pic is of crawley at dbah (which is pretty much my local, but i rate straddie higher as a beachie wave), mate if it got that cold here i dont rekon it would we worth it. how do you move on your board when u got so much thick wettie around you, and regards to the crowd thing the goldy has some of the most crowded breaks wordwide but if you know where to look you can score uncrowded sometimes whole empty beaches/ reefs to yourself.

[IMG]http://img20.echo.cx/img20/9250/msee5tv.jpg[/IMG]

heres another pic i took myself (the pic of crawley isnt mine) of a reef up on the sunnycoast called taffoms, god it cranked this day it looks way smaller in this pic than it really was
[IMG]http://img20.echo.cx/img20/9654/taffoms21vk.jpg[/IMG]

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 28-5-2005 at 12:00 Reply With Quote
thats one hell of a paddle out

cool pics though, and looks really nice, as well as the weather.

I think you get used to the wettie stuff, to be honest i usually wear a wetsuit even if im on the West of France, i even wore boots and gloves there.

I think if you cant move in all the wettie stuff then there is something wrong with it, or it doesnt fit you.

This is the closest break to me, it sometimes works, the water is brown because all the sand mixes with it when comming off the sandbar. I've never really seen it this brown though:

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Europe/UK/East_England /Sutton_on_sea/index.html

[Edited on 28-5-2005 by Airborne]

booger
Pro

Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 29-5-2005 at 10:00 Reply With Quote
how far away is this break, looks decent, some nice closeouts comming through there
with the wettie stuff i rekon i wouldnt be able to surf in that cause im not used to booties n gloves cause the most hardcore wettie i get into in winter here is springy with short arms short legs but it does get sorta cold here like early it can be 0 degrees with strong ssw wind but water feels like a bath at around 16-19 degrees i still freeze but
was that one hell of a paddell out aimed at the taffoms pic? cause the paddel out there is like about 200m off the beach and is hell cruizy but in big swell it can get so hectic ive copped a 6ft closeouts on the head out there got pinned on the reef for so fukin long
how far do you live from the coast airborne? where is Nottingham, and on another note i met some nice english birds out the other night sooooo hot lucky buggers over there haha.
heres a pic of the break about 100m north from where i live at mermaid beach, i wish surf was like this now, click on them to see them fullsize
[IMG]http://img270.echo.cx/img270/5691/20apr05bb13au.th.jpg[/IMG]
this guy is in the best spot but kooks it soooo chronic
[IMG]http://img270.echo.cx/img270/5076/20apr05bb25yq.th.jpg[/IMG]

[Edited on 29-5-2005 by booger]

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 30-5-2005 at 17:00 Reply With Quote
Yeh we do have some pretty good looking chicks

Those are some sweet pics there, looks amazing, yeh i was talking about the long paddle out at the taffoms pic, 200m is long.

I live about 70 miles from the east coast, Nottingham is a large city in the middle of England, i live in a nice town on the outer area of Nottingham.

Here is a diagram of where i live in relation to the coast:

Airborne has attached this image:

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 30-5-2005 at 17:14 Reply With Quote
And here is where Nottingham is in relation to England:

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 278

posted on 31-5-2005 at 07:50 Reply With Quote
Probably gonna put the cat amongst the pigeons here, but I just found this picture on the web attached to an article about Australias rising number of polluted beaches.

Thodd has attached this image:

booger
Pro

Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 31-5-2005 at 08:20 Reply With Quote
haha thodd nice pic mate looks well and truly photo chopped to me, we dont have too much problem with pollution here in qld but i think bondi in sydney is starting to get abit of pollution problem i dunno how bad, nothing on the LA california scale.
Airbone your not in too bad a position only 70 miles from coast, still a fair hike, do you have a car if you do your set, since i got one me and my mates have been exploring coast like crazy and found some awsome uncrowded set ups, is nottingham that place with all the crime??
surf was cranking here today 2-3ft clean as with some hell nice airbowls coming through so stoked!!

booger
Pro

Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 1-6-2005 at 07:25 Reply With Quote
by 200m i mean metres airbone not miles if that what u thought i meant. 200m is 1/8 mile
and in regards to pome chiks they love aussie surfers haha yewww so gold

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 1-6-2005 at 12:42 Reply With Quote
They also like us british surfers to you know

I thought you meant metres, must be nice for you to have that. Im only 16 so i cant drive myself yet. My parents have a car, but they never have the time or they cant be bothered to drive me there just for bodyboarding for one day. Plus most of the time the surf is not good, there's only one webcam i can find for the beach as well.

My family go on coastal trips with me looking for spots on holidays and stuff, but once i get a car then i'll be going with my friends on some surf trips. Maybe after my exams, i am thinking of taking a surf trip to the Croyde Bay area (North Devon) by train, in the summer with some mates and boogie all week!

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 1-6-2005 at 12:43 Reply With Quote

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 278

posted on 1-6-2005 at 14:41 Reply With Quote
If this is turning into a show each other our local break photograph session, then heres mine.
Its taken at Hells Mouth in North Wales last December. I take no credit for taking the photo, but it gives an idea of what it can be like when this place rocks!

Thodd has attached this image:

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy