Author: Subject: SHARKS VS BODYBOARDERS VS SURFERS
batboard
Beach Bum

Member #: 1366
Posts 23

Mood:

posted on 15-7-2005 at 17:47 Reply With Quote
SHARKS VS BODYBOARDERS VS SURFERS

here is an interesting one courtesy of Animal Planet...did you know that surfers make up 45% of shark attack victims whils't bodyboarders make up 2%. Hmm, answers on a postcard...
Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 16-7-2005 at 11:45 Reply With Quote
That's weird.

Maybe these could be possible answers:

1) A surfboard looks more like another shark, invading their territory.

2) Surfers surf at places where there are more sharks.

3) The sharks are more scared of the bodyboarding tricks that they pull off.

4) Er...the bodyboarders swim fins scare them.

Thats all i could think of at this time. Hehe.

batboard
Beach Bum

Posts 23

Mood:

posted on 16-7-2005 at 12:06 Reply With Quote
Couple of thoughts

a) a prone boarder can ride much deeper in the barrell, behind the wall of water, than a surfer who tends to be further towards the lip beyond which white pointers patrol trying to catch seals which they sometimes mistake surfers for, pointers are visual predators who need visual confirmation for their final run and they close their eyes for the last few seconds to they are flying blind as they strike

b) a prone boarder from below looks like some kind of large fish with the front end of the board appearing like the snout of a tiger shark and the swim fins looking like a tail

c) bodyboards and surfers can both ride the same breaks include Pipe so don't think thats really a factor

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 16-7-2005 at 16:28 Reply With Quote
Hmmm its a hard topic, those points sound to be pretty realistic.

2% to 45% is a lot of difference though. You could also think that the surfboard is a larger surface area to attack and is therefore a bit easier.

There's also the point that surfboards have fins on the bottom, maybe that makes it look more like a seal or prey.

"They also look for flickering shapes, like a fish's glinting scales. Attacks on people can sometimes be a case of mistaken identity. For example, a shark could confuse reflective jewelry for scales.

Sharks also detect their prey with sensory receptors that run along their sides. These receptors make up the "lateral line," an organ similar in function to the ear that can feel pulses or vibrations in the water. A shark might sense the flailing of an animal in distress and swim closer to investigate."

Maybe surfboards create more vibrations.

There's endless possibilities, even smell of the material used in the board? Another point mentioned:

"Lowe says other explanations are possible. Sharks could be acting defensively, or they might see humans as competition for food. Imagine a shark swimming near a surfer. "The shark is signaling like crazy, 'Hey, get out of here,' but the surfer ignores it," he says. "When the sharks can't take it anymore, then they attack." "

booger
Pro

Member #: 1324
Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 17-7-2005 at 09:56 Reply With Quote
mabey they hate the stand up 'i am the man' attitude shown from 90% of standups (most kooks i might add, you never see someone like fanning dissing boogers) if that is the reason then good on them!!
Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 17-7-2005 at 19:56 Reply With Quote
lol, yes indeedy good on them, maybe it is true, but lets not get onto that subject about the war between standups and spongers...its been on this forum so many times

booger
Pro

Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 17-7-2005 at 23:01 Reply With Quote
i dont have a problem with stand ups, heaps of my mates are standups and its a great sport to watch at its prime

back to topic, mabey the high proportion of stand ups in the water at some spots to hardly any boogers

batboard
Beach Bum

Posts 23

Mood:

posted on 18-7-2005 at 00:06 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by booger

back to topic, mabey the high proportion of stand ups in the water at some spots to hardly any boogers

Don't buy that one, there are more boogers in the world than stand ups and they are often ride the same breaks, must be something else, the gap is too big

booger
Pro

Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 18-7-2005 at 01:42 Reply With Quote
mate what u smoking, more boogers than standups not quite mate. dont get me wrong booging is growing and on some days u will see more boogers at dbah than stand ups but from what ive seen here there is more surfers than boogers cause it sounds cooler to tell the ladies u surf than boog

and they often ride the same breaks this comment is true to some extent but i dunno fully about that claim, eg. u go to snapper rocks here and u will see 100-200 stand ups mabey if lucky 1 booger and if you go to needles you will see 40+ boogers to like 20 stand ups
both stand ups n boogers surf the same waves in that example but really snapper is a stand up wave

[Edited on 18-7-2005 by booger]

[Edited on 18-7-2005 by booger]

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 18-7-2005 at 08:10 Reply With Quote
I've always thought you see more stand ups at big spots, Lacanau where im going has an even amount of surfers/boogers...perhaps a little more stand ups but they just seem to walk along the sea in a wettie and carrying a surfboard doing nothing. Signals "poser" to me.

However, in Britain and some less well known spots in France i've been to, (and i'm sure this should count for other countries as well) there are a load more boogers than stand ups in the water. BUT...these are usually just your average beach holiday people with polistyrene £5 bodyboards, so you can't really count them. There are a few doing it properly though. Including me.

Perhaps Oz does have a lot more stand ups in the water, i don't really know.

booger
Pro

Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 18-7-2005 at 08:44 Reply With Quote
yeah airborne u hit the point on the head thats pretty much what i was trying to say
ur discription of the poser was pure gold

batboard
Beach Bum

Posts 23

Mood:

posted on 18-7-2005 at 09:12 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Airborne
Lacanau where im going has an even amount of surfers/boogers...perhaps a little more stand ups but they just seem to walk along the sea in a wettie and carrying a surfboard doing nothing. Signals "poser" to me.

Oh, thats also true of Ireland man, saw it recently, was in the water riding waves and these two appear, put on their wet suits and ponce around on the beach with their surfboards as the tide comes in, by the time they got in, tide was high and the waves were gone.

[Edited on 18-7-2005 by batboard]

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 18-7-2005 at 11:39 Reply With Quote
Thought that's what you were trying to say booger.
Pure gold, hehe its true though.

There has to be loads in Oz, am i right?

Laugh my ass off. "ponce around on the beach with their surfboards as the tide comes in, by the time they got in, tide was high and the waves were gone."

Sounds funny. I'd love to see them in a situation where one of them scores with a surfer chick, and then she says "show us what you can do on your board...lets go for a session now". Hilarious outcomes possible there.

batboard
Beach Bum

Posts 23

Mood:

posted on 18-7-2005 at 15:58 Reply With Quote
I'd love to see them in a situation where one of them scores with a surfer chick, and then she says "show us what you can do on your board...lets go for a session now". Hilarious outcomes possible there.

Dude, those guys were in love with themselves, they don't have time for sufer chicks.

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 18-7-2005 at 16:31 Reply With Quote
lol

well that just defeats the point of posing, unless they want to impress themselves or friends..whats the point in buying the wettie and board if your not gonna do anything with them, not even try and score a girl or even impress...those guys really do sound stupid if they were in love with themselves

booger
Pro

Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 19-7-2005 at 06:59 Reply With Quote
yeah we have the poser situation to chronic proportions over here, like most guys surf once a year but the first thing they tell the ladies when they meet them is they are full surfy guys but chiks do dig surfy guys which is a bonus to doing the sport you love. but if your surf soley to get chiks not for the fun of being out there getting shacked with mates then you have the wrong ideas about the sport
Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 20-7-2005 at 11:16 Reply With Quote
hmm yeh i agree...chronic proportions oh dear, silly posers.

batboard
Beach Bum

Posts 23

Mood:

posted on 20-7-2005 at 15:24 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by booger
yeah we have the poser situation to chronic proportions over here, like most guys surf once a year but the first thing they tell the ladies

Just to say, in case anyone thinks I am just being neg on stand ups, that I have just come back from an amazing session in kerry on sick waves and there was only me and three surfers there and everything was cool.

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 20-7-2005 at 20:34 Reply With Quote
so you were bodyboarding and they were surfing right?

Sounds good, its nice when you can share the water without any localism and "who owns the waves" stuff. I should be surfing with some stand ups in France this year...hopefully they wont smash into me

booger
Pro

Posts 145

Mood:

posted on 23-7-2005 at 10:19 Reply With Quote
does england have localism problems like some parts of aus have? like some nsw,vicco,south aus parts if u even park in the locals car park they will smash your windows and write fuk off blow ins in wax all over it, atleast here on the goldy we dont have any of that crap

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy