Author: Subject: SONIC SESSION!!
shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 28-10-2005 at 19:33 Reply With Quote
SONIC SESSION!!

What can I say!!

Really gusty 15-20 knot Se wind at Dyfi lagoon. Wouldnt normally bother going out in such cac wind, but was gagin to try it.

Firstly real easy to use, de power and safety is real confidence builder, bar set up is so easy theres nowt to even work out.

On the water, bar pressure is effortless, ride is super smooth, but probably the fastest kiting ive ever done, only thing i can liken it to is buggying with a ozone razor, super fast!!! wave riding was a joy!!

The thing that impressed me the most was a client of mine thats only just learnt to keep up wind and hates being over powered was comfertably keeping up wind on the 11, when good kiters where having a job keeping down 10 and 12 meter c kites in the gusts!! he was also re launching it with ease!

The revolution is here. If you dont believe me try one!!

Stay SONIC!!

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

col123
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 405
Posts 1022

Mood: who needs wind anyway

posted on 30-10-2005 at 20:45 Reply With Quote
echo what shem says with the nova's on saturday, people were out on 9m 'c' kites and i had the 15 nova up, once you get it in your head that you can let go of the bar to kill the power dead your confidence just goes through the roof, been out for about 4 hours on the 12 today, awesome kit ..will who was out on the sonic came over and said everyone was moaning about the gusty conditions, both me and will didn't notice.

these style of kites seem to absorb the gusts really well.

as for wave riding there fantastic on saturday with the cross shore, i was riding down the line of waves with the nova and it had slack lines so i was actually surfing standing up which ive never been able to do before, sheet the bar in and off you go.

i've reinvented the walk of shame as John eaton from powerkiteshop came and picked me up which saved a mile long walk..

the jumps are huge with loads of float, i've lent chris the 9 for the week and as i left blackrock he was riding in 30knts fully de-powered and going huge,, the float and hangtime is impressive

as Shem says top kites, i'll be around dovey next sunday so come and get a go, ive got 9,12 and 15 novas to play with

[Edited on 30-10-2005 by col123]

To Infirmary and beyond..

shem

Posts 2204

posted on 31-10-2005 at 07:21 Reply With Quote
As col said a truly windy and gusty weekend to test the Bows out on. Sunday was 25-30 knots at the lagoon (by the afternoon). Every one was getting anilated, and I was just cruzing around. By mid afternoon there where 10 kiters sat on the beach watching and just my sonic and a cross bow in the air! says it all really.

I dumped it in the water about 30 times, and it re launched instantly every time. Jumping was shit scary to begin with, I broke the 30 foot barrier for the first time, but once you realise how floaty the landings are its all good!

Cant wait for some nice clean wind to try it in.

CharlieR
Hot shot

Member #: 1290
Posts 58

Mood: Always all good

posted on 31-10-2005 at 12:08 Reply With Quote
I have to agree with both of you, I rode the 9m Nova all day on Saturday, was out in the lighter winds (when heavier Col was on the 15m) and the kite moves so fast that I was able to get going. Then when the big winds came in, it was awesome. The jumps are fantastic and noticeably higher and easier than classic LEI’s. You don’t really have to think about loading up an edge so much, just throw the kite over and pull the bar – easy. Like Col, I was able to really just enjoy the surf by just leaving the kite off to one side de-powered. Relaunch is easy, just a bit different to classic LEI’s and it doesn’t take long to get the knack. The Nova looks to be a really solidly constructed kite, it’ll make a tough land based kite too, and it’ll be amazing on the snow. Shem, you are right in what you say regarding the beginner, its going to give new people so much more confidence and probably not scare as many people off the sport as in the past.

[Edited on 31-10-2005 by CharlieR]

Sean C
Beach Bum

Member #: 1509
Posts 16

Mood:

posted on 31-10-2005 at 14:18 Reply With Quote
yeah, we are already seeing total beginners in lessons getting straight on with it with the Sonic... even in gusty wind.

They feel confident with the 'let go the bar safety' ... they re-launch instantly, and have no trouble holding an edge and going upwind.

No way would anyone buy a classic style of kite to learn and improve with having given the opportunity to try both types during a lesson...

Completely changes the way the sport can be entered ... imagine if we'd have had these things when we were 'experimenting' eh Col ????

Long way from a bloody 6m skytiger and a surfboard

BTW... on the NOVA .... make sure you have zip ties on all your 'one pump' tubes that connect from LE to struts... and make sure they are very tight ... I know someone who had one pop off leading to a deflated kite and a 200m swim... not ideal in winter

Powered by... Airjam Kiteboarding

willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 915
Posts 238

Mood: landlocked and sick of it.

posted on 7-11-2005 at 22:51 Reply With Quote
just spent a week with my new 11m sonic. used it all week on my holiday round Wales. Week started in black rock sands on saturday with light winds from the south east gusty and horrible coming over snowdonia. i flew the kite on the beach and instantly loved it. smooth to turn and nice lift and as for gusts? i couldn't feel them at all! the kite just feels natural not too different to my old C kites.

as the wind picked up to about 15mph i headed out into the pools and set the power strap not to heavy on the power and off i went. amazed that i was going upwind as well as Col on a 15m nova and felt powered, was able to pop nice raleys etc even in these winds.

from this point on the wind picked up and up but just adjust the depower and you've literaly changed kite size and you're back in the sweet spot. with a bit of practise you can set the power whilst moving. the kite ate gusts and just gives so much confidence. instead of the usual scrotum inverting pain of a messed up sbend you just let go and it all stops before it happens. i did not bother with the stopper at all. there really is no need for it, the only time you may need it is walking out when you pass the board from hand to hand! it takes no time to learn to let go and from then on the thought of going back to a stopper just to do a dead man seems stupid!!!
it's so nice to come in for a break let go of the bar and then just sit and breath while the kite politely waits for relaunch.
get on the flat water and go for a speed run then just push away on the bar dig the rail in and bang you've stopped no need for the arse break!

Next stop was Rhosneigr in mast high waves. have no surf background and have never even seen them this big so setting out in gusty winds of 17-25knts seemed insane and everyone said don't. After a little think some loud music and a kick up the arse by the girlfriend i went for it. It was probably the best day of my life and certainly the sesh of my life. the fact i had the confidence to go for and nail new moves in these conditions blew me away, raleying off a wave to land toe side still on the face of the thing is just cracking!!! where were the cameras!!! carving toe side on the waves just depowering the kite and letting it drift along as you use the waves power but having the confidence that if it is gonna close out just pull the bar in and you have the power to escape was awesome! i ditched the kite twice in the close out zone and once it just bounced back the other time was a bit more hairy. the kite was caught by a wave and turned inside out, at this point my guts did the same. i was being rinsed all over the place but the kite simply wobbled it's way quickly to the relaunch position and took off and was fine, no tangles, nothing, got my board and continued til it nearly got dark. What a day! thanks to Kirsty Ed and single malt for the bravery to get out there!!!

next weekend was at borth out in gusty southerly but again it felt like clean wind on the kite. was great to be out with the massif!! kirsty nailed up wind in the waves Ed was boosting and then bang the squall from hell! Larry saved Kirst, Ed got lofted out of the sea and spun up the beach and i was still pootling along slowly waiting for it to drop it didn't and it began to reach the upper limit so i just headed in to shore slowly and let go of the bar. never got moved from were i stopped. for safety reasons alone we should all have these kites. it seems silly as weekend warriors or otherwise to get hurt and miss work or even more importantly time on the water for the sake of what a 12m used to cost anyway! no more lofting or drags up the beach or struggling into the sea. just set the power and stroll out then go out as powered as you want if you wanna go old scholl and fight the kite you can if you wanna cruise you can, boost, pop, wake, loop it does it all. did i mention boosting? send the kite to just past 12 and hit a wave at the same time then hang on but not to tight and you just fly, but beware these kites are quick doing what i used to have to do to jump lead to accidental kiteloops-these are not pussy loops, unless you want them to be! amazing speed on the turn.

the next day as many of you know it all went wrong and my chicken loop broke as the bolt pulled through the webbing and the kite flew off down wind to come to rest on the dunes. I contacted Sean at Airjam straight away about the problem and he instantly phoned Matt Pendle the Sonic designer. It turns out the factory changed the webbing used on the origional loops from a strong stiff webbing to a softer one without consulting Matt. Matt has immediately changed the production back to the stiffer (more expensive) webbing and will be distributing them within a week to existing sonic users. new kites will be sorted at the distributors.

So there was a problem but within a week of it happening it has been fixed all will be sorted. this is the only problem. the kite is amazing the hype is true the 11m really could be the one kite quiver but an 8m is probably gonna be so much fun we'll all end up with one anyway!!!

with the simple bar, low bar pressure, and ease of use but super high performance and safety this kite just might be the one!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 238

posted on 7-11-2005 at 22:53 Reply With Quote
wooops is that a bit long or what!!!
still it's my review! and it's honest!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 238

posted on 7-11-2005 at 22:59 Reply With Quote
sean were do you get that ninja avatar? you're not a ninja nut too are you? always wanted the old wipi edge coz it had that on it!
MarkyP
Pro

Member #: 1281
Posts 90

Mood: ?.... ?......indecisive

posted on 8-11-2005 at 07:46 Reply With Quote
Will,

Sounds like a good week, like the Rhosy stuff. I had an extended session on Shem's 11m on Sunday. What can I say, a very fast, safe and infinitley controlable kite. Pretty amazing. And a joy to ride upwind. Played with some jumps, didn't fully explore the boosting potential, but could feel the extra float present.

A squall came over at one point, kinda unexpected. The three Sonic's were about the only people still riding it out. I wouldn't have wanted to have been on my 12m C kite at that point, most came in for half an our. Proof of the additional safety already!

Anyway, I've got one coming in the next batch. See you on the water.

chris
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 79
Posts 402

Mood: i thought the winter/spring wa

posted on 8-11-2005 at 08:45 Reply With Quote
the squal i think youre refering to on sunday was interesting. derek seemed to handle it on his "new" toy.
the naish X10!!!!
i think he's found the kite for him.

god dam money is burning a hole in my pocket waiting for these bow kites.

also strange that all of a sudden the wind is always gusty and upto 30knots. (in 30knots you can't walk up the beach!)

apart from the squal saturday and sunday i was fine on my cautions. prefer to be wave riding on a bow but hey ho.

willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 238

posted on 8-11-2005 at 14:01 Reply With Quote
no the squall was on the friday when Ed and i were out ed was on nine and got munched up the beach, not on sunday with the x10. was fine all time on the sunday. only broke my footstrap when i put the board onto the suicide leash whilst relaunching the said x10 in the surf for Derek and wave caught board breaking the strap!

AND i have never even mentioned 30knts!!!!! i reckon the top end is really 25knts to be rideable after that it's just that you can survive on the thing to 30knts without being spanked. 8m is obviously the way forward in these winds ;-) after all this chat about the one kite quiver reckon i'll end up with the 8m anyway coz it just looks like it's gonna be so fun!! Get it under the guise of it being for kirsty but never let her use it!!!

has been gusty though lately all these southerlies.

[Edited on 8-11-2005 by willf]

chris
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 402

posted on 8-11-2005 at 16:20 Reply With Quote
will my friend relax. i was refering to other comments about gusts and wind (see markyp post). i missed the friday squal but sunday was interesting. felt like i was gonna be sucked up into the sky.

an 8m sonic would be nice. come on get sewing the autumn is passing by. i'll be too cold soon. plus i need a sonic to go snow kiting with neil. now that will be fun.

[Edited on 8-11-2005 by chris]

willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 238

posted on 8-11-2005 at 16:56 Reply With Quote
can i hide in your boot box?

i wanna come too!

oh yeah forgot about that one that sucked you up! think i was dithering around on the beach at the time!
would love to give that old x10 a go!

www.globeriderkites.com
www.airjam.co.uk

shem

Posts 2204

posted on 8-11-2005 at 17:14 Reply With Quote
I know how you feel about the 8 chris, deffinetly need to get them sewing faster!!

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 238

posted on 8-11-2005 at 17:17 Reply With Quote
ed and i mid SOUL SESH - chris you said there wasn't enough soul in kiting so lets start putting some in from now on!!!

Attachment: soul.JPG (62.08kb)
This file has been downloaded 275 times

www.globeriderkites.com
www.airjam.co.uk

chris
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 402

posted on 8-11-2005 at 17:17 Reply With Quote
kiting is going the way of mountain biking 10 years ago.

first of all any bike would do just to get out into the hills. then as the marketing men did there job we all "NEEDED" the latest titanium bit to make us go faster. we spent more time drilling holes and filing bits than having fun. so i stopped biking. l

uckily biking has now grown up and all i have is fun. i go biking with beginners on halfords specials or mates with £3000 dream machines. all we have is fun.

kiting is in danger of going the same way alienating newcomers because of shite politics and marketing crap.

like a good biking mag (unlike kitesurf) says
JUST GET OUT AND RIDE.

this post is nothing to do with the other tread just wanted to have a rant.

Will as i said the other day your more than welcome to stay over during the cold winter, but if you prefer the boot box then your welcome.

thanks

chris
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 402

posted on 8-11-2005 at 17:19 Reply With Quote
bring on the soul. we need a long board single fin equivalent for kiting.

must check my camera for pics.

chris
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 402

posted on 8-11-2005 at 17:20 Reply With Quote
the X10 looked mad have not seen derek smiling so much in ages.
willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 238

posted on 8-11-2005 at 17:49 Reply With Quote
Cheers chris for the offer of heat and a bed but can i have a free ride to the alps too in your boot box??

www.globeriderkites.com
www.airjam.co.uk

willf
A Force-of-Nature *

Posts 238

posted on 8-11-2005 at 17:56 Reply With Quote
chris i just slapped a bad but good little sequence of you it's in the look at me bit didn't have room for the spray at the end though!!! check it out! can only improve my photos!!!

www.globeriderkites.com
www.airjam.co.uk

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy