Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Anyone been to Perth/WA?
ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 14-3-2006 at 13:55 Reply With Quote
Anyone been to Perth/WA?

Hi folks,

Off on the road again in October, and fancy taking in Perth for a week. From what I read it's a bit crowded and attitudey. I'll prob be taking a kite and board, and/or hire a surf board but I'm still on big soft boards.

Any advice on where to go, where to base ourselves etc?

Ta v much!

Andrew

There's more to life than KITESURFING!

Let me know when you find it.

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 394
Posts 308

Mood: waitin for the next blow!

posted on 14-3-2006 at 17:51 Reply With Quote
I was in Perth for a week at the start of November last year. I intended to live and work there for 2 months so I could go windsurfing every weekend but the plan fell apart when I met some friends who I met in NZ so we did a motorbike trip instead. Average temperature for the week when I was there was around 20C and we had a fair few days of rain. No sure what Octobers meant to be like weatherwise.

I met a few kitesurfing locals there and they were saying everythings territorial bewteen the windsurfers & kitesurfers with the rivalry. I even heard of a kitesurfer having his tyres let down cos he was at a designated windsurfing location but thats the pathetic extremes some people will go to.

I didn't actually sail there myself as I was busy looking for a bike and partying every night but I was told to head up to the coast to Lancelin. Better still 4 hours North of Perth to Geraldton which always has pleanty of wind. Theres good consistent wind from November to the end of summer in March in WA.
You dont want to base yourself in Perth city itself as its pretty quiet and boring. The best place is Freemantle which is 20k south. Its a lot more lively and is only a few k's from Cottesloe beach where you can go kiting.

Hope this helps

Jonny

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Posts 214

posted on 15-3-2006 at 15:56 Reply With Quote
Cheers Jonny (LOVE your Avatar, has me in stitches every time! )

Funnily enough I checked out a local WA forum, and straight away there was a post aimed at (admittedly inconsiderate) 'Euros' spouting off at how awful we all are (because of one stupid person who sailed in the wrong area) and that we're all dreadful, will be ruining life for the natives etc etc. I also picked up on the 'polers v teabaggers' rivalry too, which makes my life interesting as I do both.

I forgot to add that our idea of a wild, wreckless, exciting night is to have a chocolate hob-nob with our mug of Horlicks at 10.

So far the Lancelin Lodge an hour up the coast is looking good. I like the look of Lancelin.

Cheers.

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 394
Posts 308

Mood: waitin for the next blow!

posted on 15-3-2006 at 17:15 Reply With Quote
Yeah the Avatars my pride and joy!
Lancelin probably will be your best bet. I think the winds a bit more consistent there as well with the sea breeze kicking in every afternoon. Wish I went there myself now but theres too much to see and do in Australia! I'm planning on heading back to Perth one day so I'l do it all when im next there. Im sure you'l have a great time there. The rivalry thing between the 'polers & teabaggers' is probably overhyped as well.
Enjoy
Jonny

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 15-3-2006 at 18:38 Reply With Quote
perth my idea of heaven!!!! had a mate who lived on north beach but prefer his previous place in freemantle.
have you had a look up the coast to kalbari; stayed there and it has a fantastic beach and estuary with great crayfish !!!!

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

kiteboy1978
Grommet

Member #: 1782
Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 16-3-2006 at 23:10 Reply With Quote
Perth WA

I lived in perth for close to 6months in 2004. This place has some awesome places to kitesurf. I never had any problems from other windsurfers and i shared a few spots with them.

The best spots are way out of the city like Lancelin, geraldton and up towards Carnarvon where Gnarloo is which has one of the best breaks in the world and then up towards cape range national park.

If you've only got a week you'd be pushed to get that far north. So stick to Windy Geraldton or very laid back lancelin. Perth is just as good though if you don't fancy doing heaps of driving.

Depending on your level of kitesurfing you can try Pelican point which is out by the University. Lots of beginners here, but when its windy you get some kick ass riders sailing here.
Then there's Cottesloe (Cott) i lived here. Best place to sail is just down the road towards fremantle at peppermint grove/mosman park. A bit further down towards fremantle is leighton beach where the Gravity Games H2O kitesurf comp was held.
To the North is Scarborough beach, although there is a huge rip running here. And to the south is the awesome Woodmans Point (woody's). This place rocks. Alot of the local pro riders sail here.

Bit further south is rockingham. With Penguin island and safety bay another awesome spot.
The list can go on and on.... and all within an hour of the city.

Im hoping to get residency soon and go back to live for good.

Hope this helps, im very envious of you.

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 17-3-2006 at 07:59 Reply With Quote
I spent 4 months in WA a few years back, and Id personally recomend heading straight for margret river area, a few hours south. Car or van hire essential, and get a good surf guide. Wind and perfect surf every day!!

Watch out for big surf and bigger sharks, heehee, just kidding!!

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

jaimie072
Grommet

Member #: 2017
Posts 5

Mood:

posted on 19-6-2006 at 14:04 Reply With Quote
I live in Perth, but am currently working in London. Go back to Perth in october. Crowds aren't a problem in Perth, u just have to know where to go. Most of the Euros head to Lancelin where main break can get crowded. I like main break, but to be honest the euros really f*ck off us locals because they have no idea about how to sail in waves and about windsurfing etiquette. Just downwind of main break is south passage which is a bit harder to sail so euros tend to stay away from there so u can still get a good sail in Lancelin. In Perth itself there are few waveriding breaks, mostly good for jumping. Cott. is ok, Scarborough and seal island near Hillarys marina. It's 2kms out to sea however, but u can get some decent waves although it's backhand waveriding. Good for big back and forward loops. South of Perth is mandurah which has an excellent left hander and on a big day is a great wave to ride and again no euros as it's a bit harder to sail. If you drive 11 hours north of perth you have gnaraloo which is one of the best surfing and windsurfing spots in the world. The wave lasts for about 150 - 200m and you can get up to 20 bottom turns off it. On a big day it can get pretty scary with the reef sucking dry and it's a powerful wave. There's been a few occasions where there have only been 2/3 guys out with 30 on the rocks watching! And again few Euros (well the kook ones) make it up this far. 3 hours south of Perth is Margaret river which again has some excellent waves, it's not for the beginner/intermediate wave rider and is a powerful wave. The locals there can be a pain in the a*ss not only to Euros, but to us from Perth as well, so u need to be careful, but it's more of a problem with the surfers.

[Edited on 19-6-2006 by jaimie072]

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Posts 214

posted on 22-6-2006 at 22:23 Reply With Quote
Errr... like you assume I'm any good at windy-boarding! Can do little waves, but can't even carve gybe yet!

Perth/WA is now off the agenda for 2006 due to the fact that my OH and I cannot use my travel trade concessions to travel on Malaysian Airlines because we're not married. Hey ho... So plans are afoot to go it alone in 2007, as I don't like UK Novembers!

It's a shame about the behaviour of 'euros' causing localism. I know what Jaimie means, you see it in Tarifa. I guess I'm biased, but it's hard to distance being a decent Brit from being a 'euro', if you get my drift!

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy