Author: Subject: please help me!!!
spookie
Grommet

Member #: 2134
Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 20-7-2006 at 05:46 Reply With Quote
please help me!!!

hi, i am very new to windsurfing in fact i just got my first board! i bought it second hand from a man who had owned this for years but had no idea how to put it together! so i got it home and tried in my back garden to put it together but i just cant see how the boom fits to the mast ??? maybe i am being really dumb here but its got me stumped, am i missing bits to it?, i tried looking at pics and diagrams of rigs but no pics seem to be that clear 1
can anyone give me some advice please?
jane

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 20-7-2006 at 06:14 Reply With Quote
What does the end of the boom look like? Can you post a photo of it?

All modern booms use a clamp fitting to connect to the mast, but the designs do vary slightly. Old booms (and we are talking pretty old these days) used to tie onto the mast, but if you have that sort I'd recommend changing it to a more modern clamp fitting boom straight away.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

spookie
Grommet

Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 20-7-2006 at 06:38 Reply With Quote
thanx for your reply, my fears i think are soon to be proved! i have taken a couple of pics but i reckon my set up is pretty prehistoric!- gutted! could i take it out anyway on our local lake just to see if i can get to grips with wind surfing before i spend loads of money on a decent set up? ( i say lake but its not that big!!) is it possible to windsurf with such an old one?
[img]new cam 146[/img] not sure if i have inserted pic ok? if not i will try again!
ok so i tried but dont know how to put photo on! lol if i was blonde i would be having a moment! lol
thanx again for your help
jane

[Edited on 20-7-2006 by spookie]

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 20-7-2006 at 07:23 Reply With Quote
Yeah you can give it a go... if you can get it attached to the mast. It won't make life particularly easy, but it'll get out on the water.

To uplaod a photo, furst make sure it isn't too large and is saved as a .jpg and then on the 'Reply to Post' page simply click on the 'browse' button below the area where you enter the text of your post. This will provide you with a dialogue box from which you can navigate through your hard drive to find the file containing the image. Select the image, and click OK (or whatever the defuaklt button on your dialogue box says, then submit the reply.... Your image should then be uploaded automatically and displayed within the forums.

Al.

spookie
Grommet

Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 20-7-2006 at 07:39 Reply With Quote
excellent and thanx, heres a pic i took this morning, i would so love to get out and have a go at windsurfing that if i can manage to get it together then i will be out on it, i am definately gonna look around for a new boom with a clamp fitting even maybe a whole newer set up, but was abit worried that i would spend a fortune then hate it! how much would i be looking at for a new boom?
jane

spookie has attached this image:

spookie
Grommet

Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 20-7-2006 at 07:40 Reply With Quote
omg how embarrasing!!! i guess i got the size wrong! lol i am having a blonde day for sure! sorry!
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 20-7-2006 at 07:56 Reply With Quote
No worries I'll sort it out for you now.... Here are some posting guidelines for future reference!!

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 20-7-2006 at 08:06 Reply With Quote
Right, the image has been resized...Don't do it again!!!

The booms are indeed very old (I hope you didn't pay for them). There is a technique for attaching them, but even when done properly it won't give you a particularly positive connection and really will make life more difficult than it should be... Mind you, if the board and sails are of similar vintage then life isn't going to be that easy anyway. A brand new boom is likely to cost around £100, but you should be able to get 2nd hand ones for about £25.. I just practically gave two away!

It won't be impossibel to use what you have though, it is after all a lot more modern than the equipment I first learnt on!

Anyway, to attach you current booms to the mast you need to lie the boom along the mast with the boom attachement end where it should be and the other end towards the top of the mast. Then tie it on in such a way that if you then rotate the boom from the position where it is paraller to the mast to the normal sailing postiion perpendicular to the mast the rope holding the boom to the mast tightens up to give a more secure connection... Best thing to do will be find someone who has been windsuring for about 20 years and remembers how to put such equipment together and get them to show you how to do it. It is much easier to show you how to do it than to describe it in words.

Have fun!!

Al.

spookie
Grommet

Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 20-7-2006 at 08:20 Reply With Quote
i didnt pay much for it so i guess i at a tenner i got wot i paid for!!! lol, i think i will definately be looking for new boom although i will be looking for someone to show me too now(dont suppose you live near me do you?)
so i can get going on this till i get a new one! thanx for re sizing pic, i promise i wont do it again! lol
jane

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 20-7-2006 at 11:00 Reply With Quote
Where abouts are you planing to sail Im sure there is someone on here willing to lend a hand. If not most windsurfers are a friendy bunch if you turn up at the local lake.

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

spookie
Grommet

Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 20-7-2006 at 11:33 Reply With Quote

spookie
Grommet

Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 20-7-2006 at 11:36 Reply With Quote
hi, i live on the isle of sheppey in kent, i think i have most of the set up sussed, i know how to downhaul and outhaul!? but i just cant suss how to tie the boom to the mast?! any suggestions except buying a new boom with clamp ( which i wanna do but not today) lol
there are quite a few windsurfers that come to our beaches but i would be so embarresed to turn up with my board and gear and not know anything
jane

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Posts 846

posted on 20-7-2006 at 19:32 Reply With Quote
How big is the board you have as if its too small it will be to be very hard to learn on

spookie
Grommet

Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 20-7-2006 at 20:49 Reply With Quote
my board is relly long, i'd say about 12ft!!!! we watched some windsurfers up the beach today and their boards look tiny compared to my one! they could carry their board and sail out the water and up the beach in one go......i DEFINATELY couldnt do that with mine!!!! lol
spookie
Grommet

Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 21-7-2006 at 11:18 Reply With Quote
well here goes first time i gonna give it a go! its do or die lol

[Edited on 21-7-2006 by spookie]

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 21-7-2006 at 14:30 Reply With Quote
Haver fun.... Thats all that counts... It won't be long before you want some more modern kit though... Then once the bug bites you'll be drooling over all the latest toys and will end up wondering where all your money has gone!!!

Al.

spookie
Grommet

Posts 13

Mood:

posted on 21-7-2006 at 16:29 Reply With Quote
i did it and i am still here! it wasnt half as bad as i thought! it wasnt easy either but then there'd be no challenge if it was! i loved it...every minute of it, it was exhausting after awhile but i will be going again real soon, and already we have been talking of new kit!
jane

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 21-7-2006 at 17:42 Reply With Quote
Nice one.... You can now add your first ever entry to the Forces-of-Nature Windsurf Diaries.
It'll make interesting reading seeing how you progress.... I wonder how long it will be before you are attempting forward loops!!!

Al.

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Posts 846

posted on 21-7-2006 at 20:23 Reply With Quote
Theres the force of nature questionaire as well to keep an eye on how you progress although ive seam to have come to a standstill scorewise. My excuse is the lack of wind inland this year , living on the isle of sheppy you won't have that excuse spookie.
I know all about wondering where all the money keeps going its a fine balancing act between windsurfing, fishing and mountian biking just lucky im single with no family or I'd be selling body parts by now

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 21-7-2006 at 20:26 Reply With Quote
That gives me an idea BEFS.... I wonder if there is a market on ebay for nipples.... I don't really need mine, but some funds for a new board would be handy!!

Al.

<<  1    2  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy