Author: Subject: kitesurfing in Jamaica
gazxtreme
Beach Bum

Member #: 1568
Posts 15

Mood:

posted on 21-7-2006 at 21:57 Reply With Quote
kitesurfing in Jamaica

Anybody been to Jamaica kitesurfing, what's the best spots, we are near 7 mile beach in Negril in Sept, does anybody have any warnings or advice for the Island, all info will be welcome,
regards, Gazza from NorthWest Kitesurfing

baileyman
Pro

Member #: 1933
Posts 114

Mood: Reflective

posted on 22-7-2006 at 05:59 Reply With Quote
Dude

I was in Jamaica 7 years ago for a month at a time. Was there in June and in December. Mainly based in Montego Bay.

Negril beach is massive but was pretty narrow and crowded around the hotels. It's shallow for a good way out. Also loads of boats anchored off the beach and loads of water sports going on at places like Sandals and the 5* hotels. I seem to remember that if you walk toward the other end of the beach (and yes it really is 7 miles!!!) it gets quieter. But it was years ago so it's probably all changed since then !!

In terms of wind, all I can say is that in Montego Bay (Tryall Beach Resort) it was dead in the morning and spanking in the afternoon and straight onshore where I was. But in Montego Bay it's next to the hills so it's a proper sea breeze generator.

I can't rember much about the breeze in Negril cuz we only stayed there for about 4 days and was staying next to Rick's Tea Bar on the cliffs (top place to watch the sunset and if you're up to it jump off the cliffs). Plus I was pretty out of it most of the time (if ya know what I mean!!).

I seem to remember if you drive the coast road from Negril back toward Montego Bay that there are loads of smaller beaches, but to be honest I wasn't kiting in those days so can't say I took much notice.

I do remember a massive inshore flat lagoon though, but I think that was nearer Montego Bay.

If you get a car for a couple of days and go explore then that would be a good plan.

Anyway, not sure that helped, but have a wicked time. Jamaica rocks I loved it - but then a Jamaican girlfriend gives it a different perspective - cuz I was considered a local !!

Will be interested to find out how you get on out there. Put a post on when you get back.

Rich

gazxtreme
Beach Bum

Member #: 1568
Posts 15

Mood:

posted on 22-7-2006 at 11:26 Reply With Quote
cheers

Nice one, just the kind of info I am after, I saw the cliff jumping at the cafe on a negril site, I will be trying this, you only live once, I may miss the inland lagoon thing as I don't fancy my chances against the crocs. one of my fears was that the 7 mile beach would be crowded, it does sound good if it's shallow for a while as it would allow for landing and launching in the water, very grateful for the info,
gazza

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy