Author: Subject: Rubbish on the beach
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 22-7-2006 at 10:28 Reply With Quote
Rubbish on the beach

I've just got back from a walk along the beach with Morgan and the amount of rubbish on the beach is disgusting. Beer cans, carrier bags and all sorts are strewn all along the beach, with much of it blowing around in the wind.

Not sure what we can do about it, but it isn a shame to see such a nice beach getting ruined by a few inconsiderate people who can't be bothered to take their crap home with them.

Grrrr...

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

jamesy101
Hot shot

Member #: 875
Posts 62

Mood:

posted on 22-7-2006 at 13:41 Reply With Quote
I notice the same every summer. In the winter the beach tends to be clearer, I don't think other people are stupid enough to be in the sea on New Year's Day! I think it seems to be a general thing, particularly with people of my generation, they just don't care. People throw their rubbish down and forget about it, it's one thing which really does irritate me.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 22-7-2006 at 16:59 Reply With Quote
I just wish there was something we could do about it. I've seen people in towns and cities just throwing their rubbish on the floor or out of car windows even when there is a bin right next to them... What's wrong with these people, are they just stupid??

How people can do it on a beach amazes me. I think I'll have to keep an eye out for people leaving rubbish and start moaning at them... And that goes for dog owners too.

Al.

Fat Shady
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1506
Posts 178

Mood:

posted on 22-7-2006 at 18:57 Reply With Quote

Fat Shady
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1506
Posts 178

Mood:

posted on 22-7-2006 at 19:00 Reply With Quote
I remember about 15 years a go some surfers suggesting that when you visit a beach you take a little bit of rubbish home to dispose of.

Sounds like a good idea to me, if we all picked up litter immediatley around the area that we park in we could probably make a difference.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 22-7-2006 at 21:59 Reply With Quote
Yeah...Margi was out walking Jasper this morning and was picking up litter as she went. Maybe we should have a beach clean day one day when there is little wind. Instead of sitting there moaning we could collect some litter instead. Not only would it clean the beach a bit, but it would show off kitesurfers/windsurfers/surfers etc. in a good light, show that most of us are good natured and considerate and may make people think twice about leaving rubbish on the beach.

It isn't our fault that the rubbish is there, but no one else is going to do anything about it. As you say, just picking up a it here and there would make a difference.

Al.

zotty
Beach Bum

Member #: 2097
Posts 16

Mood: buzzing

posted on 23-7-2006 at 10:40 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Shady
I remember about 15 years a go some surfers suggesting that when you visit a beach you take a little bit of rubbish home to dispose of.

Sounds like a good idea to me, if we all picked up litter immediatley around the area that we park in we could probably make a difference.

my self and blubs/jelly ALWAYS pick up our rubbish and any thats not ours but lying around within sensible walking distance.. takes 5 mins to do and leaves you knowing you did your bit ... also i ALWAYS peer out of my mirrors as i drive off to make sure ive left a untouched clean location (as well as to make sure ive left no gear that was under the van lol)....

craig

thehill
Beach Bum

Member #: 1244
Posts 27

Mood:

posted on 23-7-2006 at 13:21 Reply With Quote
i could be an opportunity for a good bit of PR.
Could we get the local rag to come down - Al, do you know anyone who could help there.
I can imagine if we got a few of us down there, then we could generate a fair-sized rubbish heap, do you think the council would come and collect it?
inevitably it will slowly reappear again, especially as some if it is flotsam/jetsam (never know the difference).
i have thought about this a few times, maybe even posted ages ago, you can count tracey and I, murphy as well but he wont be much use unless there are dead seagulls or rabbits!

danh
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1646
Posts 206

Mood: Need new toys

posted on 23-7-2006 at 13:34 Reply With Quote
If there was a specifically organised beach clean day id make the trip over to muck in. And hopefully as stated previously it will show us in a good light. It annoys me to see so much rubbish in beautiful places, dont get why people do it. I always take my rubbish with me and any other rubbish around me.
markyboarder
Hot shot

Member #: 2018
Posts 50

Mood: beard full of snakes

posted on 24-7-2006 at 19:43 Reply With Quote
RUBBISH ON THE BEACH.

After seeing the thread title, I thought it was going to be about Flysurfers.

Seriously,

I was thinkin' maybe some strategically placed bin bags with a stone on top and a sign on em asking people to place their rubbish in them (and stating that they are supplyed courtesy of the Borth wind riders community.)

Thinkin' more about it, it might just be making a rod for our own backs.

[Edited on 24-7-2006 by markyboarder]

andy B
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1118
Posts 209

Mood: ah ripped again

posted on 24-7-2006 at 22:10 Reply With Quote
DUDES a beach clean is a mega idea and i like the pr bit. kathy and i would be up for that, kathy collected rubbish yesterday.
the bin bags left around is not a good idea davydd tried and failed with the bin idea, also the dogs would have a field day ripping it up to get to the scraps of food.

unfortunatly idiots are hard to educate simply because they dont care, there was a rather large family having a bbq, the next day (sunday) i noticed they left the rubbish behind.
perhaps the council would provide and collect the bags, i know davvyd struggled to dispose when he tried the bin idea because it was seen as commercial rubbish and they wanted to charge him.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 25-7-2006 at 05:22 Reply With Quote
Yep, as Andy says, bin bags aren't a good idea... The National Parks tried installing bins a few years back, but it just made matters worse as it encourages people (even those that are conscientious) to leave their rubbish behind.

We could organise a PR stunt to clean the beach though... we'll have to find out how we can get rid of the rubbish afterwards.. Either we all take a bag or two each to the civic amenity site in Borth, or we get the council / Golf Course to take it away for us. It would have to be done straight away though otherwise the seagulls / dogs will undo all our hard work.

We should also inform the Cambrian News that we are going to do it as a little good publicity for us goes a long way.

Has anyone got any time on their hands to sort any of this out??

Al.

markyboarder
Hot shot

Member #: 2018
Posts 50

Mood: beard full of snakes

posted on 25-7-2006 at 06:54 Reply With Quote
Yep, good points. Thats why, after thinking about it a bit more, i thought it was not such a great idea. (rod for our own back)

Back to the drawing board.

[Edited on 25-7-2006 by markyboarder]

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy