Author: Subject: Outdoor Recreation Research
dr_mike

Member #: 2452
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 10-10-2006 at 09:13 Reply With Quote
Outdoor Recreation Research

Hi,

I work for the University of Gloucestershire (www.glos.ac.uk/ccru) and we are undertaking some research on behalf of the Countryside Council for Wales (http://www.ccw.gov.uk) which attempts to seek a greater understanding of why people use the countryside for recreation and the types of experiences they are seeking.

As part of the research we were hoping to get the views of active people as to extent to which the “experience” determines the types of activities they undertake.

Our idea was to instigate a discussion by putting forward a series of statements (which are not necessarily the views we hold!) which should generate some views!

We therefore invite comments on the following statements:

1. Young men are more likely to be attracted to activities such as surfing and kite boarding because of their desire for adrenaline and risk. Could other activities such as Climbing and mountain biking offer similar experiences?

2. Women have different attitudes towards danger/risk and challenge and as such prefer less challenging activities?

3. You enjoy surfing/kiteboarding etc.. more if you are good at it.

Thanks!

P.S Please be assured that the Forum name would not be named in our research and ALL responses would be quoted anonymously.

Kind regards,

Dr. Michael Clark

Jefiner
Grommet

Member #: 2478
Posts 8

Mood:

posted on 14-10-2006 at 18:42 Reply With Quote
People are more likely to enjoy kite surfing if they are good at it?

I am RUBBISH at kite sufing, but I love it! How can you get better if you don't practise? I've taken many of my friends kiting and boarding, and there not to amazing to begin with, but it's called progression.
People who are good wern't born that way. They had to practise, and I bet at one point they were awful. [ Or at least that's what I like to tell myself ]

Part of the fun is falling on your face, and the horror stories you tell to other people.

Kiting is a gory, glory filled sport. People always love horror stories .... and scars!

PS.
I love "dangerous activites". It makes thing alot more fun. After the first time you lose your fear... normally. And, if you get hurt, you get up and try it again, to get it right.
And to completly ruin my arguament. I can't help being a Tom Boy, if you wish to call me that.
LEGEND.

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 15-10-2006 at 14:54 Reply With Quote
Having tought loads of people to kite surf, Id say that if any thing people enjoy it more when theyre learning and enjoying the experience for the first time. The smile on some ones face when they first stand up is great to watch!!

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

Fat Shady
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1506
Posts 178

Mood:

posted on 15-10-2006 at 21:33 Reply With Quote
1) Men are more generally attracted to activities such as kite surfing for adrenaline and risk. I used to race motorcycles & the "rush" was pretty much the same.

The thing with kitesurfing though is that while the sport is very extreme and the adrenaline high, the actual risk compared to some thing like motorcycle road racing is relativley low. In that sport serious injury & deaths are all too common.

If you screw up on the water kitesurfing you generally get tumbled but do not pick up too many real injuries. There are of course fatalities but they tend to happen on land or when coming in to contact with solid objects such as groins.

No other sport has come close to giving me the buzz that kitesurfing does. Climbing would never do it, Its all about the speed/perceived danger/fear/split second decisions & the feeling of achievement when surving & pulling off a manouvre. the buzz never stops because there is allways some thing new to learn.

To summarise, yes it is an adrenaline sport but with the risk some what controlled when lessons are taken & good practice observed.

2) Women in my experience participate in adrenaline sports less than men. When they do, they think more before hand, take less risks & are not prone to showing off or peer pressure.

3) Every one who kitesurfs enjoys it. In my experience (including windsurfing) the satisfaction increases the better you get.

For example it is much more satisfying when you can stay up wind & dont spend all day walking back up the beach to the spot where you launched from.

The people doing advanced tricks must get a great feeling of accomplishment, thus boosting their enjoyment.

One thing to throw in to the mix. I know quite a few people that associate them selfs with adrenaline sports. In particular water sports.They wear the clothes, buy the gear & occasionally participate but only in a very cautious way. For example when they are in their depth and with a kite or sail that is too small to give enough power.

This can not happen in a sport such as road racing, you are either out there or you are not & when the flag drops the bullshit stops.

It would appear that some men take to extreme sports because they need the rush but others while more timid still need the kudos that these sports can give.

I am not reffering to any one in the posse here by the way, they are all lovable nutters who give it everything !

[Edited on 16-10-2006 by Fat Shady]

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy