Author: Subject: What to buy?
Olly
Hot shot

Member #: 134
Posts 34

Mood:

posted on 16-2-2003 at 19:15 Reply With Quote
What to buy?

Well it's been a while since I last brought any new kit and even though I had a run in with the bank manager last October (three meetings/bol?#*kings in two days) I am itching is increase my student debt even more!

I have decided that a new wave/freeride sail is in order, pref second hand around 6.2 - 6.3m in size. Anyone got any recommendations? I have been looking at the ezzy infinity.

Due to the crappy wind inland i am contemplating some formula kit aswell. At the mo i have my heart set on a techno formula, has anyone used one or got some advice about them as i have yet to use any formula kit (and before anyone says anything about how big and boring formula kit is, it is probably the only way for me to get out on the water when i cant travel to the coast)

I suspose the other option in lighter wind is a blade and mountainboard, the blade III is meant to be coming out this april/may, that would be cool!!!

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 16-2-2003 at 20:55 Reply With Quote
Olly... I don't know much about Formula kit, so I'll have to let someone else answer that bit, but as far as a sail goes, I can definately Recommend Gun Sails. I've got a 6.3m Groove which sounds like the sort of thing you're after. Its done me fine for the last year or so and gets quite a bit of use. They are also pretty cheap brand new (almost comparable to second hand prices for other makes). I also have 3 Gun Wave MC's and love 'em.

Of course if you're looking for something even cheaper, then 2nd hand would be they way to go.

As far as I know Gun Sails are selling last years 6.3 Grooves for £182. Not bad for a brand new sail.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

adam

Member #: 3
Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 18-2-2003 at 16:22 Reply With Quote
Olly whats your biggest kit at the moment and how much do you weigh? That will kind of govern if its worth going bigger!!??

If you go for a Formula Board, you'll also need a big sail, big mast, big boom and big fin to go with it, which when put together is bloody expensive. Steve has big kit and gets out a lot more because he's got it maybe he could give you some advice if he sees this?

Loads of people here and at Grafham now sail Formula kit even those not into racing, sails up to 11m its silly!!

I swapped my Mistral Explosion for an AHD Diamond Race 67, which has 145L but my biggest sail is only 7.4 so I'm not really using it to its full potential as I could do with a bigger sail too. I guess I get going a few knots earlier than on the Mistral with a 6-6.5m but not by a great deal.

I've not tried a Bic Formula I'm afraid so can't offer you any advice. I guess Boardwise are your local dealer, if they have a used one in stock they would normally let you demo one?

I now go kiting and buggying more when there's not solid wind or like now when its freezing in the pond.

You can get a nice Mtn Board for less than £200 like a Kheo Flyer or Air-S and a kite like a 4.9 Blade is around £300-350 also you may be able to find something good second hand. Are there any decent places to kite near you? May be worth looking into before splashing out!

Olly
Hot shot

Posts 34

Mood:

posted on 18-2-2003 at 17:51 Reply With Quote
Thanks for the message Adam, in answer to your questions:

I have a Fanatic Bee 124L and my biggest sail is an 8.2m Simmer race sail. I weigh about 82kgs and i can get planning fairly early on this kit.

The reason for buying formula kit is so that i can go racing (my competitive nature shines through again), if i just want to go for a sail and enjoy myself i don't want the hassle of having to use big kit.

As for kiting I have done a bit and would love to get some kit, talking of mtn boards have you tried any of the earthboards?? However at the mo i want to give windsurfing a good go seeing as i have not been at it very long abnd enjoy it so much.

adam

Member #: 3
Posts 184

Mood:

posted on 18-2-2003 at 18:32 Reply With Quote
No worries, you've already got pretty big stuff then.

Sounds like you're just after someone to say GO BUY IT! as Al did to me yesterday!

If you're going to get in racing then go for it you'll definately need a bigger board! Which series were you going to enter or is it just club racing?

Not tried an Earthboard but heard lots of good things about them the Rage and Prolite, they look nice and are very light.

Flexifoil are also bringing out some ATBs designed specifically for kiting with weird looking asymetric decks:

http://www.flexifoil.com/sneak_preview_landboards.php

El Nino
Hot shot

Member #: 8
Posts 30

Mood: Turbulent

posted on 19-2-2003 at 08:08 Reply With Quote
Olly have you sen the July 2002 issue of Boards Magazine?? Theres an article in it all about Formula vs Free-Formula kit.

They conlcude that you don't necessarily need expensive Formula kit to compete and the free-Formula kit would offer a better route into racing for most people.
They also say that the fastest board for YOU will be the one that you find the easiest to sail, which probably wouldn't be a full-on more technicallly demanding Formula board.

Olly
Hot shot

Posts 34

Mood:

posted on 23-2-2003 at 16:47 Reply With Quote
After this saturdays session I am completely changing my mind!

No formula kit, no free formula kit, no large boards, and cetainly no large sails.

Smaller kit is the way to go and getting stuck into a nice bit of chop and eventually even the waves is the route down which I am going to go.

Sailing in Saturdays conditions was so exhilarating, being on flat water will never be the same again, I am now going to live by the moto of:

Size isn't everything, it's what you do with it that counts!

Looked at the article on Free vs. Formula kit, quite interesting, now though my focus is on how small not how big.

Now the only problem is my 'light wind' alternative, suppose I better get saving those pennies for the blade.

Olly

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 23-2-2003 at 16:48 Reply With Quote
You've seen the light!!

Al.

Olly
Hot shot

Posts 34

Mood:

posted on 23-2-2003 at 16:51 Reply With Quote
I couldn't really miss the light, it came towards me at about 25knots on Saturday morning and hit me right between the eyes.
justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 24-2-2003 at 21:36 Reply With Quote
So Olly...

What new kit are you looking at getting now??? You should be ready for a smaller board I guess. have you got anything in mind? Maybe a biggish wave board?

Al.

Olly
Hot shot

Posts 34

Mood:

posted on 25-2-2003 at 10:51 Reply With Quote
Well, I am undecided to tell you the truth.

Should it be a wave board, should it be a more slalom based board, should I go for a freestyliee board, shall I go for a small freeride or at the end of the day shall I go for a crossover board?

I feel that with the amount of kit on the market now by the time I have got my ass into gear and saved money and decided which board to get there will be a whole new load of boards out.

To be honest there are two good articles in the recent Boards and Windsurf Mags at the mo, one on crossover boards and one on small freerides. They state that the reviews only help if you know what you want from a board. So here goes:

I want a smaller board for:
choppy sea conditions
maybe learning to sail in waves
for those really windy days at home

Therefore I suppose it needs to be around 90 - 100 litres and probably a large wave board or crossover as I will be sailing in a variety of conditions.

I have however two concerns, the first being that if I do go for a large wave board then how will it perform on the relatively flatter water of my home lake on those windy days and secondly, from reading the articles in the mags there is concern that a crossover board tries hard to cater for all different types of sailing (i.e freestyle, waves etc), therefore it doesen't do one thing well but four things averagely (in terms of performance).

Any ho, I am looking at a large wave board and crossover board (e.g. Fanatic Cross 90), suggestions of ideal vol. and boards would be gratefully recieved, especially as it may be a while before a new board is going to be brought. I will have fun trying them out and will let you now which one I decided upon (this board is subject to change as I change my mind more often than the weather).

Olly

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 25-2-2003 at 20:50 Reply With Quote
Hi Olly..

I reckon somehting along the lines of the Cross would be just about perfect. Although as you say the 'crossover' boards do everything averagely rather than excelling at any one discipline, that sounds pretty much what you want... A smallish board for all occasions from flat water blasting with a biggish sail to playing in the waves. Also, although they excel at nothing, to be honest nor do most sailors (I certainly don't), so they are unlikely to really hold you back.

I've got a 99L Cross and its fine as an allround board. Fairly fast, fairly early planing, not the most repsonsive, but fine for use in the waves and apparently OK for freestyle too (not that I'd know). I haven't tried the smaller Corss, but I have tried the 250 and 254 F2 Max2Airs and they are both nice. Not so controllable as the Cross in high winds and choppy water, but more responsive and more fun in the waves. In that sort of size I've also tried the Starboard Freesex, which was really slow and sluggish and really a freestyle board rather than an allround board, so not suited to your needs. Last years Fanatic Skates are good too, but as far as I know this years are more freestyle orientated, so you'll have to watch out for things like that. Theres more to it than just the name.

I've only ever heard good things about the Starboard Carves too. Personally though I think the Fanatic Cross would be perfect. best thing to do is get some on demo and try them yourself though.

Al.

paul
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 5
Posts 445

Mood: Well Chuffed

posted on 26-2-2003 at 09:07 Reply With Quote
if your still thinking formula, this thread from rec.windsurfing may be useful, I'm mulling it over but there seems to be a lot of off the water logistics involved with a 1m wide board and a 10m+ sail...

cli ck here

Home Page
http://www.nationalwindsurfingweek.org

Olly
Hot shot

Posts 34

Mood:

posted on 27-2-2003 at 19:35 Reply With Quote
On the basis of getting new kit I have decided to clear out some of the older kit from my garage. Most of the kit was acquired free or at very minimal cost when I first got into windsurfing.

I decided to give eBay a try as I thought all the kit would be worthless. Bloody hell I was wrong, it was well worth it! After a long registering process I put on the following;

Vinta 320, 5.1m battened sail, Kiddy sail, 2 fibreglass masts, two booms (one seized) and a couple of older sails.

This kit is more or less worthless to any windsurfer, but not to a beginner and it was the kit I brought just a few years ago to learn on.

Anyway, I advertised the kit in the afternoon and went off to work, when I got back someone had brought it using the 'BUY NOW FOR....' feature.

What a result, the geezer picked it up this afternoon and I have loads of space in the garage.

No excuses now to get a new board, except the lack of money.

At least I have a bit of cash to get me to the Windsurf show this weekend, gunna have a look at the Cross 90 and F2 MaxIIAir, decided not to take the credit card with me though - it might be messy otherwise.

Olly

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 27-2-2003 at 22:21 Reply With Quote
Result!!... How much did you get for all that crap (I mean kit!!)

Have fun at the show.... The Max2Air is a really nice board, but isn't the strongest. I had a duff one that just fell apart, but Ben has managed to break his a few times now as well. I don't want ot put you off as its a nice board to sail, but durability will be an issue for you, especially as its gonna get a trashing on occasion once you start sailing on the sea.... I think everyone will agree that you first few sessions in a SW at Borth could be a nightmare experience you WILL get trashed!!!

But stick with it and you'll just want more.

Al.

Olly
Hot shot

Posts 34

Mood:

posted on 27-3-2003 at 19:46 Reply With Quote
I thought I would just leave a quick message especially as I have been quite quiet on here of late, the reason being that I have had loads and loads of Uni work to do. But as of tomorrow I will be mostly free of all that for a couple of weeks (only one assignment to hand in next week, but thats nearly finished)!!!!

Hooray!!!

So to celebrate I am off to look for some kit. The shopping list for tomorrow is;

6m sail - this is the priority but the winds are so light I will probably go for a..........

Kite - either a 4.9 or 6.4/6 Blade (depends on when the mark 3 comes out)

Mtn Board, not a chance really, I don't know where the money is coming from for the first two, no harm in looking though.

I will report back soon - hopefully a new Blade 3 for Easter weekend.

Olly

Olly
Hot shot

Posts 34

Mood:

posted on 28-3-2003 at 17:55 Reply With Quote
Well I am a proud owner of a brand new BLADE 2 4.9m,

couldn't be bothered to wait for the blade 3, heard different reports about them too.

Still looking for a sail though, a gun or quite keen on a North Volcano, pretty cheap and looks in nearly new condition, better save some more pennies.

Olly

Olly
Hot shot

Posts 34

Mood:

posted on 28-3-2003 at 17:58 Reply With Quote
ooooooooooo

I only just realised I am a HOT SHOT - read it and weep Beach Bums!!

Olly

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy