Author: Subject: hazzard at Walney Island
gazxtreme
Beach Bum

Member #: 1568
Posts 15

Mood:

posted on 10-7-2007 at 20:45 Reply With Quote
hazzard at Walney Island

A bit of information needs to be posted following a couple of recent incidents at Earnse Bay on Walney Island.
This beach is within the normal allowed kite flying range of an airport, normally 1.5km, it is no more than 0.5km. So we are lucky that I liase with the airport manager on a regular basis and he is normally quite happy to allow kitesurfing as he understands the line length and safety systems we use should present no problems for him.
However a few weeks ago someone was flying close to the shorefront on an easterly "offshore" right at the end of the runway used for landing on an easterly. I was called by the manager and left my tea to go to let the lad know that the plane that had just landed nearly had to abort his approach, the lad was new to the area and is now aware of the problem with no harm done.
The next incident happened just this saturday, a few guys I think from the NE were here and at high tide walked his flying kite up to the van to get another board, dangerous enough on it's own, but to add to this he was parked at the end of the runway used for take off on westerlys which it was. He obvoiusly had no way of knowing this and this is the reason for my post.
I have been told that if a pilot files a near miss report it is out of the friendly airport managers hands and up to the CAA and AUS to investigate, this I am sure will lead to a ban on one of the best kite beaches in the country. Please have a crack with the locals or ask at the kiteschool and keep it safe.
Please pm me if you want a google image sending via e-mail, I can't figure out how to get an image on here

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy