Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 12-1-2008 at 18:10 Reply With Quote
My thoughts on this,

Working at one of the biggest Inland windsurfing venues in the country, I’ve seen a decline in windsurfing over the last 10 years. A lot of it is due to the fact people have more choice of action sports, indoor snow slopes, cable tows etc. The problem I see with windsurfing is, the better you get the more wind you want or need to have fun. People were fed up standing on the beach for that forecast that never happened. Some choose to not buy any kit and travel to a Neilson center or the like, where they’re pretty much guaranteed some sailing in warmer windy weather on new kit. With a kite you should be riding on a board that fits under you arm in 11-12 knts.

On a mild day in the Winter 10 years ago you would of seen 15-20 windurfers out at Draycote and the same at Fairbourne on a good forecast. How many do you see now? I’m sure, if you were allowed to kite inland it would be packed with people wanting to learn. Shem tells me he’s stacked out with people wanting to learn to kitesurf. I don’t see the queues lining up to learn to windsurf, Inland or at the coast. On the beach, I see a lot of kites, but not so many windsurfers out enjoying the conditions.

Adrenaline rush

I’m sure you could get the same rush from both sports, depending how you sail. You can’t really say a level 1 windsurfer would have the same rush as a level 1 kitesurfer. He may fall off the simulator, but would hardly get dragged up the beach if it goes wrong. I think, windsurfing in waves, in strong wind with a 4 m sail is fun and exciting, then again, so is kitesurfing in the same conditions. As for speed, I don’t think there’s much between the two at the top level now. Maybe it’s down to bottle if the kites are lagging, as its not so easy to just let go with a kite.

Body strength

I agree, windsurfing does use up more upper body strength, but then again, so does kitesurfing if you ride “unhooked”

Risk of injury

Windsurfers . Cuts and bruises off the non -slip, a knock on the head with the mast, and uphauling’s not ideal for your back. You can also fall off under your sail, but its not far to swim out.
Kitesurfers, Lofting to a great height on the beach, or blown into hard objects. Wipeing out and getting wrapped up in your lines. Broken ankles as you only have you feet as points of contact to the board, if one foot comes out. (With a windsurfer, if one foot comes out the strap, you still have another point of contact through the mastfoot) I’m not saying you can’t get a servere ankle/ knee injury windsurfing though.

Fitness

I think you need to be reasonably fit for both sports. I do think it’s a real ball ache when you fall in windsurfing, waterstarting , rig recovery etc. Then again, dropping your kite can be a real arse! I think it comes down to how you’re sailing on a given day, just cruising or ripping it up.

Good for beginners

I do agree the learning curve to planing is a lot easier with kites. For tricks, it depends what you’re trying to learn how technical it is and the risks involved.

At the end of the day, each to there own, as long as you having fun, who cares?

See you one the beach tomorrow for the gales!

Dunks

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

http://www.jonnieeisler.com

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 12-1-2008 at 18:17 Reply With Quote
I read that earlier today as well, The risk of injury issue made me laugh, especially as in around 1999-2000 14 kite surfers died in one year, Does that count as injured, DOH!!!! The person that wrote the article has obviously never learnt to kitesurf.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Posts 606

posted on 12-1-2008 at 18:26 Reply With Quote
Yeah Shem I agree,

Whoosh said some died in El Gouna, anyone know anything?

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

Fat Shady
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 1506
Posts 178

Mood:

posted on 13-1-2008 at 17:57 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shem
I read that earlier today as well, The risk of injury issue made me laugh, especially as in around 1999-2000 14 kite surfers died in one year, Does that count as injured, DOH!!!! The person that wrote the article has obviously never learnt to kitesurf.

I couldnt agree more Shem, there is a big difference.
Over powered on a windurfer just let go of the sail and stop. Overpowered on a kite circa 1999-2000 and you were likely to go in to orbit and then get dragged for miles

steveo
Pro

aka Whooooosh!

Member #: 164
Posts 116

Mood: Living Life on The EDGE!

posted on 13-1-2008 at 19:49 Reply With Quote
I just go with the flow, but i might be dusting off the pole dancing kit this year, it's been a few years!!

Just need a Cheap 6.5/7m race sail to attach to my F2 280 sputnik for a speed sessions, then let's see which is fastest!

Very sad news.

Fatality in El Gouna last week?

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2344800

www.kitesurfwales.co.uk
www.airjam.co.uk

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Posts 606

posted on 14-1-2008 at 14:26 Reply With Quote
Whoosh,

I think Toddy's got some big sails going cheap.

Dunks

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 14-1-2008 at 17:18 Reply With Quote
Yep 1999 was'nt such a good year for me;my beloved 11.5 free air put me out with a broken back and no end of other broken bits after being hoiked.
never mind NHS put me back together again (still keep finding bits of brown paper everywhere and Ren says i have not lost the smell of the vinegar )pick yourself up and get back out there and nowadays with great safety as standard on all the kit.
wouldnt give it up for the world

[Edited on 14/1/08 by mNeil]

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 15-1-2008 at 07:45 Reply With Quote
Here's another angle. Despite years of practice I cannot carve gybe but I'm now hooked on waves, so if I windsurf I'll spend most of my time IN the water using up all my energy trying to waterstart. Kitesurfing I spend most of my time ON the water enjoying myself, very important at this time of the year.

But come summer, I want to dust off the pole-dancing kit too!

There's more to life than KITESURFING!

Let me know when you find it.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy