Author: Subject: Aberdovey marina
paul s
Hot shot

Member #: 537
Posts 52

Mood:

posted on 3-3-2008 at 21:57 Reply With Quote
Aberdovey marina

Just got my latest copy of the Dovey Bell, with an insert on the proposed marina. See here for one scheme drawing: http://www.doveyyachtclub.org.uk/proposed_marina_plan.htm
If anything like this goes ahead it will be the end of most sailing in the estuary. Sailing off the beach won't be possible in anything other than W-NW (and probably Ivor from the E), and the yacht club would have a boat park in the middle of their main racing area.
What's being organised by way of opposition. I'm sure we signed a petition on this last summer.

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 3-3-2008 at 22:20 Reply With Quote
It wont go out past the harbour area, any way, so wont affect launching. Its basically taking up the space where the boats are moured any way. It doesnt affect launching off the beach, and it certanly wont effect Ynys las in any way.

Dont worry, itll be ok. I actually think itd be a good thing, as itd make boating a lot more accessible, and keep Aberdyfi up to date with most other harbours.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

paul s
Hot shot

Posts 52

Mood:

posted on 4-3-2008 at 17:25 Reply With Quote
Well the images I have show it going some way downstream from the end of the jetty, and of course it is made of solid pontoons that you can't sail thru, whereas sailing through the moored boats is quite possible. Much better in winter when they are not there of course.
As for the yacht club, their ability to run racing seems to be totally knackered.
Also, I think predicting what it will do the estuary is probably not possible. The channels shift around enough as it, putting a bloody great obstruction in the middle of the main stream could have drastic effects on where the water goes. The irony would be if the marina caused the flow to change so much that it became a sandbank.

shem

Posts 2204

posted on 4-3-2008 at 18:29 Reply With Quote
The drawings that are attached to your thread, show the jetty stopping well before the Life boat slip way, so that woule be fine. Do you have other drawings? I must admit, theyre not the clearest drawings on the link, but thats defo where it shows them going to. I think that from a tourism point of view Aberdovey really needs it, its lost all its power boaters pretty much, with a good marina Id like to think itd have a more year round buisness rarther than being the ghost town it is now.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

paul s
Hot shot

Posts 52

Mood:

posted on 5-3-2008 at 18:31 Reply With Quote
I got sent a sheet that shows a number of views, taken from a crude cad model, and the interesting bit is the 'breakwater' shown going off the edge of that drawing, that I guess is there to shelter the marina entrance.
Strikes me that it could be near impossible to get a boat into one of those mooring slots when the tide is running, but since it will only be viable to get in and out over the bar around high tide that may not turn out to be a big issue.
As a regular visitor to Aberdovey over nearly 20 years (normally to windsurf) I can't see any merit in it, but I do accept that for the well being of the town all year round, and ignoring the interests of the small number of locals who use the yacht club, it may have some benefit. It would certainly change things !

[Edited on 5-3-2008 by paul s]

shem

Posts 2204

posted on 5-3-2008 at 19:22 Reply With Quote
Ye, its hard to see from the plans where the break water is, id certanly be interested in seeing a better drawing, especially if its gonna take up a lot of room.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

paul s
Hot shot

Posts 52

Mood:

posted on 5-3-2008 at 22:26 Reply With Quote
The other pictures I got came from the yacht club - I'm sure they'd have all the available detail as they stand to be so badly affected.
Loxley
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1919
Posts 382

Mood: all I need is everything...

posted on 6-3-2008 at 12:25 Reply With Quote
Looking at the plan, it doesn't look overly large. I can see the point about a limitation on windsurfers, but kiters may fair less favourably. As though the marina itself doesn't pose any problems, the harbour master may regulate areas of launching as has happened at the Pwllheli marina.

speaking from a boaters viewpoint, improved facilities at Dyfi would certainly increase the out of season trade for the local businesses, especially as there is already a decent sized car park with beach access.

what sort of time frame are they talking about ?

have environmental studies been completed yet. as in principle a semi floating/sunk pontoon system wouldnt take too long to fabricate.

shem

Posts 2204

posted on 6-3-2008 at 18:50 Reply With Quote
Theyd need to dredge a fair bit to go ahead with it, which has put a lot of people off, the studies last year was showing that the estuary was actually de silting itself anyway, but Ive lost track since then. Ill enquire and update next week.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

paul s
Hot shot

Posts 52

Mood:

posted on 6-3-2008 at 20:55 Reply With Quote
Remember the plan to use sand from the estuary as part of the concrete for the channel tunnel ? Seems it had just the right properties.
shem

Posts 2204

posted on 6-3-2008 at 21:42 Reply With Quote
Ye, they were gonna build a processing plant in ynys las, and sell the sand for a penny a tonne!!!! Sounds cheap to me, but I geuss there was a massive volume!

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

shem

Posts 2204

posted on 8-3-2008 at 16:53 Reply With Quote
Having spoken to a few of the guys at the beach today, were going to find out exactly whats going on.Neil had mentioned that he recieved a letter on the first of March asking any views on the matter to be handed into by the first of Feb, so there may be a Rat in the works. Therell be a club of windsurfers/kiters forming and meeting in Aberdyfi over Easter, so if any one wants to get on it, keep looking on here.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

paul s
Hot shot

Posts 52

Mood:

posted on 8-3-2008 at 17:20 Reply With Quote
You might want to talk to Pete Benson at the yacht club as he was coordinating some sort of response. I'd like to join you if you meet up over Easter....but we'll be in Egypt

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy