Author: Subject: A couple questions !
Wind Worrior

Member #: 7504
Posts 4

Mood:

posted on 18-4-2008 at 13:31 Reply With Quote
A couple questions !

Hi All,

Great forum, been reading through alot of it over the last couple days !

I've decided I really want to get into Kite Surfing. I used todo alot of windsurfing before moving to the UK, so am hoping that experience will help me out.

Now I have had a good look around at doing lessons, but to be completely honest none of them look like you getting value for money. I was after a one day course, but have only found 1 that actually gets you onto a board, and that's only right at the end of the day. Unfortunately I don't have the time to take off to do 2-3 days courses... and would quite honestly like to use the money towards getting equipment..

I've got a m8 who has a Kite, so thought I could borrow that and teach myself.
What are all your thoughts on this, or do you think having lesson are Essential?
are there any restriction if you have not had a lesson - where you can go etc ?

Obviously if it is essential to get a lesson I will! But feel that if I was able to self teach myself windsurfing/wavesailing to a pretty good level, I could do the same with Kiting ( Although I have not sail for a good 5+ years !!)

Thanks
WW

Wind Worrior

Posts 4

Mood:

posted on 18-4-2008 at 13:33 Reply With Quote

Just read what I wrote, sorry if it comes across as cocky, thats not what I intend at all !!

Any advice would be greatly appreaciated!

Cheers
WW

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 18-4-2008 at 15:16 Reply With Quote
Plenty of people have taught themselves so it isn't out of the questions. When it was new there was no option and we didn't have safety releases and such like then either.

Just be careful, start off with small kites and well within your capabilities and of course keep well away from other people and beach users and big solid objects just in case anything does go wrong. If you take it easy and don't go mad and ask other kiters on the beach if you are unsure of anything then there is no reason why you couldn't teach yourself.

You will benefit from advice from others, especially to make sure you have the kite, bar and lines and safety system set up properly and know how to use them. Lessons will save some time and help with confidence in the initial stages, but they aren't essential.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 18-4-2008 at 16:58 Reply With Quote
No where would advertise as getting you onto a board in one day, as it would be seriously dangerous in 99.9 % of conditions. As much as people learn at different rates, it would be pretty much impossible to get some body up on a board that had never flown a kite b4.

having said that, snow boarders and wake boarders normally do very well on the first day, as can windsurfers that have good wind knowledge. Id personally estimate that most people need 20-30 hours of kite flying experience to get them riding. Why not have a half day lesson in kite control, safety, etc, then go off and practice your kite flying skills, then go back for another half day lesson to get you up and riding, a cheaper way around things. Reemeber also that if you buy a nice shinny kite abnd then destroy it in a couple of sessions teaching your self to fly, your gonna waste a lot of time and money. A lot more than a couple of lessons would have cost.

Either way have fun, and be carefull, and remember "Guns dont kill people, Kites do"!

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

Dandine
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 2742
Posts 231

Mood: Work is for losers

posted on 19-4-2008 at 07:12 Reply With Quote
Just have the one lesson to get all the saftey out the way(thats the important bit). I never got up on the board on my lesson but there are always dvd's and people on the beach to help.
jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1437
Posts 410

Mood: Not long to go..Morocco again!

posted on 19-4-2008 at 12:25 Reply With Quote
Hey WW, I bought a foil kite and landboard to help me get my head around the general principles. 6 months on, I had a lesson. It was an excellent investment as I was shown things that you just wouldn't consider. By the end of the day I couldn't kitesurf, however, I could operate my equipment with a reasonable degree of competance and was equipped with the principles to teach myself and to be safe around others.

Good luck

When you're close to the EDGE....Trust your INSTINCT....!

Pluto
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 598
Posts 281

Mood:

posted on 20-4-2008 at 22:18 Reply With Quote
Some good subtle advice above - I'll be more blatent....

Get at least one days lesson. You'll learn loads, a lot quicker than teaching yourself, but be choosey about where you get it. Many "schools" can be more like cattle markets moving students through the system and not really giving the highest level of personal tuition and often pushing on with lessons when the conditions aren't really suitable. If you choose carefully there are some smaller set ups who can offer a more personal service.

Good luck and enjoy the learning curve...

( - I'm sure you were up and riding before the end of day two Dan!)

www.kitesurfteacher.co.uk
IKO/BKSA Instructor

dunk
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 570
Posts 606

Mood: Spaced out

posted on 21-4-2008 at 13:19 Reply With Quote
Dude,

Its not like learning to windsurf, a windsurf board with a sail on it won't hurl you into a wall or a innocent bystander on the beach if you do the wrong thing.

Many years ago, I taught myself to windsurf, I too reached a high level. Too be honest I would of got there a lot quicker if I'd had a lesson or two. Even when you think you know it all, there's still something to learn, in windsurfing and kitesurfing.

I agree with the above, get yourself at least on lesson. Its a different kind of power to windsurfing. You need to learn the safety and to respect the power of a kite.

I'm sure Paul or Shem will sort you out.

Best of luck

Dunk

KITE / SAIL REPAIRS

http://www.jonnieeisler.com

Wind Worrior

Posts 4

Mood:

posted on 21-4-2008 at 16:24 Reply With Quote

Thanks for all your advice Chaps, much appreaciated !

I will be looking at getting a 1 day lesson soon. Best placve I can see at the moment is Transitions in Kent. Anyone delt with them before?

My other option is to wait a while and make a trip out to Wales for a wekk or so....?

Wind Worrior

Posts 4

Mood:

posted on 6-5-2008 at 14:42 Reply With Quote
Hi Chaps,

Well it looks like I have to go up to West Wales for the Bank holiday end of May. So am thinking this would be a perfect time for me to try a get a lesson. Anyone know of any good places to get lessons near New Quay/Aberaeron ??

Cheers

jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1437
Posts 410

Mood: Not long to go..Morocco again!

posted on 6-5-2008 at 21:46 Reply With Quote

www.kitesurfwales.co.uk

When you're close to the EDGE....Trust your INSTINCT....!

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 7-5-2008 at 07:15 Reply With Quote
ta john, as far as I know theres no one down that way, probably due to the amount of reefs and cliffs, which aint good! Im pretty sure its either me and Paul up here or down to newgale for big blue.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

Pluto
A Force-of-Nature *

Member #: 598
Posts 281

Mood:

posted on 8-5-2008 at 21:58 Reply With Quote
Ta John. You're right there Shem. I really don't know why anyone would want to try and learn anywhere other than with us! - It's got to be the best location but also with the highest quality tuition anywhere!

Sat turned out to be a really good day, speak soon...

IKO/BKSA Instructor

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy