kelvin
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 148
Posts 356

Mood: waiting 4 next blow

posted on 16-9-2008 at 10:19 Reply With Quote
BWA* trip Borth day 1 conti trail

Well time to put some words down .
After 2 previous trips to the fat face event a change was needed , North Wales to Rhosniger was the outline plan .
Many names stepped forward and anounced intent to make the trip , but as the date rolled closer the list got shorter and the excuse's got bigger . after several weeks of constant rain and wind the weekend forcast for ZERO wind killed off all but the die hards .
So fri 10 am on a nice sunny morning we leave Cardiff to regroup and get in formation for the haul up towards Borth .
At the regroup point the storey arms in the brecon beacons the head count revealed 5 , Nobby , me , dave ,jerry ,and Ryan with Rob and John dog heading up another way making a total group of 7[].
Nobby led the way on some of his secret bike route short cuts which had the old fiat van blowing some smoke on some of the lanes [xx(] but we arrived at the Nant yr Arion trail centre well on time at 12.30 and as a totally windless weekend lay ahead waited for our local trail guide to arrive , Al Cole .
Day 1 The "continental trail " Al advised us that there was a fair bit of xc type going on our intendeded route and we would get wet as well but the 35km black grade with severe warning sounded good [].
Suprise of the day was Ryan after 9 months off a bike after a bad fall rolling a bike out of the van for a 35km black run[:0] this could all end in tears ........
Out of the centre and very shortly hit a flowing piece of single track called the Italian Job which swooped down the valley with some outstanding views , put a big grin on everybody faces and we wanted MORE . ALAS this exited onto a fire road climb and the next few hrs where all open trail right along the tops of mountains with a few little rocky decents here and there but mainly all double track .
Ryan was feling his feet at one stage and the famous red mist was apearing as Nobby hurtled down a fast double track gravel trail badly eroded by last few weeks of heavy rain only to find a drop off at the bottom , braked hard and chucked the bike , but with dave , me and rob rubbing tyres on the way down a bit of a four bike pile up was the result which left rob in fits of laughter [].
Remounted and away Ryan seen sense and moved to the back but another spill was looming a few hundred yards further down .Me and Nobby stopped and waited the rest but Rob came round the corner waving that there was a problem , imediatly we thought yep Ryan's bit the dust and headed back , but no it was Jerry . After doing the grand alp race recently with over 10hrs in the saddle a few spills had left him with a very bad shoulder , and again not seeing a step down ledge till to late he had pitched over on the same shoulder and was in loads of pain .[] But being a tough old adrenilin junkie it soon wore off and he continued along the way with the alp fitness leading on the long haul run[]
The long haul out and around offered some stunning views all along the way and a game of who could splash who the most began on the huge water filled holes along the way , everybody was drenched and soaking anyway ! Nobby was thechamp after catching Rob stalled in the wrong gear in a huge bomb hole filed with at least 2ft deep water coming through full pelt for a good shower [)]...
The light weight bikes where leading the way on the long drag around with our guide AL on a hard tail out in front and Jerry and Rob close behind , the stinky boys where towards the back with Nobby feeling the weight and Ryan was feeling the miles as he started to flag .
Finally hit a sigle track section [] called the mark of zorro , yea man after miles of chasing lightweith bikes along fire roads etc a chance to hammer down a trail , me Nobby ,Dave pushed to the front and nailed the bikes all way down , through a great decent which again left some huge big grins .[8D]
Afew more climbs and some smaller sections got us to a split point on the trail where a tired Ryan who was all done for took the short cut back , but for his 1st ride he had covered over 20km's [:0]...
Jerry did,nt want to wimp out iffy shoulder or not and continued with us we soon decended again to the bottom of the valley .
Now at the floor of the valley there was only one way to go BACK UP[xx(].......Al told us the next section was called "the leg burner " ....and he was'nt wrong the mother of all long drags began , the lightweiths where gone but me,dave and nobby started sloging up the fire road , **** it was never ending [:0] with the weigh of the stinky pulling the power out of the legs we strung out , nobby and dave where still trying to beat each other to the top , while I just went down the box and took it easy , well not easy but as easy as I could make it .
As I got to the top last man up Dave had a big grin after beating me and nobby , Al anounced we wer'nt at the top yet though [:0][:0][]
and another mother leg burning climb continued ....
Was feeling all done for on the climbs now and small ring was the order of the day , only getting on the higher gears for the last couple of sections back through the woodland towards the centre .
We made it back though all in one piece with only one slight spill by Jerry [8D] but where tired, total soaked with muddy water and the biked covered in grime .
Got the bikes to the centre power wash and washed the crap off the bikes and clothers,pads,shoes etc .

Although tired it was a great run around and me and dave mused thinking how many Stinky's had done the full route before ? with twin wall heady duty downhill tyres , fulll downhill tubes , and no weight saving concessions what so ever not many I think .[:p]

Nobby cracked open the celebratory budwisers and we sipped a cool beer in the sun for a while before heading off to Borth to make camp.

Met up with John on the seafront took in some nice chips then after a brief laze about a pub for the evening to finish the day off .....
With no hope of wind day 2 was going to be another trail centre and the the plan was "there is no plan " the idea of heading to Rhosssy abondoned in favor of staying put.

DAY 2 TO FOLLOW!!!!!

Kel www.winsurfing.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger   kelvin 's ICQ status

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy