Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Sunset Beach Cape Town, South Africa, Kitekahunas – Kitesurfing School
Michael Eriks

Member #: 10796
Posts 1

Mood:

posted on 12-12-2011 at 14:16 Reply With Quote
Sunset Beach Cape Town, South Africa, Kitekahunas – Kitesurfing School

Hey Guys,

I wanna tell you about my first Kitesurf experience in South Africa.

I have been ‘Kitesurfing’ for nearly 1 year now. I have taken a beginners course in Combuco, Brazil one year ago but just made it to a crappy water start. Unfortunately I have not been practicing much since then. So I decided give it another shot with a beginners course, in order to be able to ride properly…I decided to go to South Africa, known as the top spot for kitesurfers. I was searching the net to find a kitesurf school and ended up at Kitekahunas, Sunset Beach.

What I really liked was that it is a kitesurfing school and a guest house at the same time. I was staying in one of their apartments. The instructors are also staying directly in the house. The Beach house is literally only a few meters from the beach. It includes an epic view on Table Mountain.

As a beginner I was not able to handle the waves at our home spot, as I was used to flat water conditions from Brazil. I took the beginners course including the follow up B course. Most of the times we went to Langebaan, for flat water conditions. On the days we went to Langebaan, we had wind of about 14-16 knots, so I was flying a 9m¬? kite.

The follow up B course helped me a lot. In the first two days of the follow up course I still was struggling with my water start and staying on the board, but the longer I was on the board, the more confident I became. After the 3rd day we started with longer downwind riding and then after 6 days I already managed to ride upwind!! At first with some difficulties, but I got better.

We used radio communication whilst we were on the water, so Maik, my instructor at Kitekahunas, could give me advice whilst I was riding. This, I think was a great help.

Next to the use of radios, we did theoretical lessons, including video training, when the wind dropped. Good prep for the next days.

Altogether I can say that I was happy with Kitekahunas, especially with Maik, my instructor.

I had great fun at Kitekahunas and can recommend it to people who seriously want to learn this sport. I never thought that I’d make it riding upwind, but the guys at Kitekahunas managed to get me riding

bucski
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 275
Posts 622

Mood: i'm never in a mood

posted on 12-12-2011 at 21:47 Reply With Quote
Sounds perfect, we'll all be over next week for Chrimbo.
Anyone know how much a ferry to S Africa costs?

mNeil
A Force-of-Nature ****

Member #: 276
Posts 1840

Mood: looking forward to some snowbo

posted on 13-12-2011 at 00:50 Reply With Quote
struth Tim sounds like someone sure is plugging the place!;but truth is sure is a beauty place to be mate; was there what 8/ 10 years ago stayed at sunset beach, infact the Bok comes from just up the road there at Blouberg; dont wanna be going in the water there, freeze the goolies off a polar bear mate. bein a softy like yerself i prefer going out with just board shorts at the strand, nice and warm indian ocean goes well with a warm beer. would'nt give a 4x without one mate!
see you this weekend in the warm welsh waters then!

[Edited on 13/12/11 by mNeil]

A KITE IS FOR LIFE!! THAT IS IF ITS A YARGA.

founder of storm'n Normans van club!

Kitekahunas
Grommet

Member #: 8697
Posts 11

Mood:

posted on 13-12-2011 at 13:43 Reply With Quote
Thanks from Kitekahunas

Hi Mike

Was great to have you here at Kitekahunas and thanks for the good words in your post!

We congratulate you again on your achievements - you are now a fully developed kitesurfer you have finally learned riding upwind! Well done! You can now kite anywhere in the world. Come back to Kitekahunas any time.

Kind regards from the entire Kitekahunas Team
and see you soon again.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy