Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Who owns the copyright?
ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 17-8-2003 at 05:01 Reply With Quote
Who owns the copyright?

As I was flicking through an old windsurf mag, I noticed that one of my most unfavourite writers had basically lifted most of his copy from people's ramblings on the net. In other words, he was getting paid for their writing.

As I write for mags too (never sold owt to anything windsurfing, but then they don't pay well anyway) I was wondering who owns what we write in this website. Is it Al, the writer, or just a free for all? Do I need to start adding "(c) ajdesq.com" after every entry to protect it? I'm more than happy to ramble away for cyber-buddies on here, but I'm not keen on getting any of my copy nicked & someone else getting paid to use it.

Just a thought...

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 17-8-2003 at 05:26 Reply With Quote
Thats a good question actually... And I'm not really sure of the answer.

I obviously own the copyright as far as the text, pictures and even layout etc. is concerned in the 'static' parts of the site. I also own the copyright to the 'engine' behind the 'dynmaic' parts such as the diaries, toyboxes etc (the forum is an open source series of scripts owned by XMB that I have heavily hacked).

I'm not sure about the content posted by members though. I'd like to think that as members are traceable and the content is attributed to them then it still belongs to them.. I'll try to find out though.

I have noticed quite a few sites recently that have ripped of some of my photos and haven't even acknowledged where they came from let alone asked me if I can use them. Personally if people ask I usually let them use them as long as they acknowledge that they came from this site and provide a link to it.
If I ever use images or text from other sites or other sources then I always say wehre it came from. I'd like to think others did the same with my content.

To find a a 'professional' publication such as Windsurf just ripping off stuff from the net is pretty poor though. If it was an article about the quality/quantity of information that you can find on the net then it would probably be justifiable, but I'm sure it wouldn't be as the magazines must feel a little threatened by the net as they have to compete with it to a certain extent.

I'll have a look into the copyright stuff thoough and if I find out anything interesting I can always add a page to the site stating the situation so that your material is protected to a certain degree.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 17-8-2003 at 06:51 Reply With Quote
Well, it seems as though its a difficult one to answer and complicated by the international nature of the web, and differing copyright laws in different countries. But, I think the copyright belongs to the member that posted the material. It seems as though its one of those grey areas that are difficult to enforce.

I could however add a phrase at the bottom of each page along the lines of:

"All material contained within this site is protected and all rights are reserved (unless noted otherwise). Use of any copyrighted material is prohibited without express permission"

It wouldn't physically stop people using members ramblings, and still doesn't say who the copyright belongs to, but at least its a definite statement telling people that they aren't allowed to use it..

I don't want to sound too heavy handed though, the whole point of the site is to share information and experiences with each other. Particuarly usefult information is likely to get passed on / published elsewhere. Hopefully most respectable, professional individuals/websites/publications would at least acknowledge the source of the information... if only to protect themselves should the information prove inaccurate!!

Al.

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 20-8-2003 at 17:46 Reply With Quote
Well Ive protected my posts as if anyone would want to copy my bad spelling and nonsence posts

http://brogboroughlake.windsurf.me.uk/

mexican bandit
Pro

Beach Bum (By special appointment)

Member #: 77
Posts 113

Mood: palm trees and bikinis

posted on 3-9-2003 at 13:53 Reply With Quote
Al,

Checking out what ebay had on sale I came across one of your pics. I Thought you'd already sold your waterfoil?

<http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3624436602&category=2916>

Mex. Bandit

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 3-9-2003 at 18:05 Reply With Quote
The thieving Gypsy!!!

Not only is it a photo of my waterfoil, but its go me in it too!!!!

tch tch tch, the cheek of some people.

Al.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy