Author: Subject: F-O-N Awards Ceremony 2003
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 3-1-2004 at 12:30 Reply With Quote
F-O-N Awards Ceremony 2003

Ladies, Gentlemen and Boogie-boarders!!! Welcome to the inaugural Forces-of-Nature awards ceremony.

For those who haven’t seen the ‘awards nominations’ thread, these awards will be nominated to ‘outstanding members’ of the F-O-N community for their ‘achievements’ during 2003. Of course, ‘outstanding’ is a fairly flexible term as its just as possible to be outstandingly crap as it is to be outstandingly good!!!

So, without further ado, on to the awards.

The first award is the:

TOP POSTER AWARD
This is awarded to the person who has found a way to make time run a little slower, thereby giving themselves more of it than most of us. This results in the luxury of being able to waste lots of time posting in the F-O-N forums... Either that or they simply have nothing better to do.

As Administrator, I’m exempt from these awards, but the top 10 posters for 2003 were as follows:

In 10th place AngryApple with 65 posts
In 9th place AndyW with 77 posts
In 8th place Spencer with 89 posts
In 7th place SinistaPenguin with 91 posts
In 6th place ajdesq with 98 posts
In 5th place justanna with 149 posts
In 4th place Dave with 194 posts
In 3rd place Paul with 274 posts
In 2nd place SeanBo with 305 posts

and in 1st place and the 2003 winner of the ‘Top Poster Award’ is badexcuseforasailor with 425 posts.

Congratulations BEFS!!!

We expect an acceptance speech from you, and all other award winners.

The next award is one that was pretty much a forgone conclusion. With much support, but only one person nominated for it, it has to be the:

Advance School of Driving Award
As I’m sure you are all aware, there can only be one winner of this award in 2003 and that is Rabbit... Congratulations Rabbit.

For those of you unot familiar with the incident, it all goes back to the October Forces-of-Nature beach meeting in Borth. After meeting in the pub on the Friday evening, everyone went back to their various accommodations. Some people were staying in their cars / vans, so drove off to park up in the Golf Course Car Park so we could all make an early start in the morning. Rabbit managed to get a little disorientated and ended up driving to the estuary, where, instead of just parking up he decided to have a little drive round, only to get himself well and truly stuck in the sand. We think he was just living up to his name and trying to did a burrow for the night. Anyway, he couldn’t get his car out of the sand, so just went to sleep in it. He was very lucky that the tides were small as unbeknown to him the high tide came up pretty close to his car while he slept. Had we been on spring tides, his car would have been completely submerged.

The following morning, just as we were all about to start getting ready and get in the sea, Rabbit turned up (looking a little sheepish) and we all had to go and help get his car out of the sand. Still, at least it was a talking point!!!!... Nice one Rabbit.

The next award is the:

Walk of Shame Award
This is simply awarded to the person who has completed the longest walk of shame in 2003.

There were several nominations for this award as I think almost all members have completed a walk of shame of some sort during 2003. Some due to equipment failure, some due to wind failure and some due to ‘technique failure’, but the award this year goes to AndyW for his WOS on 18th Nov. 2003. Congratulations AndyW, I’ll let people decide what sort of failure it was that led to this particular walk-of-Shame themselves.... We’ll expect an acceptance speech of course, and you can explain all then if you like!!!

The next award was hotly contested.

Worst Wipeout Award
The nominations for this award were
dazzamuffin for his wipeout early in the year at Ynyslas which resulted in a spectacularly damaged ankle with various ligaments snapped and some considerable time off the water.
MartinF for his wipeout on the first run of the first day of his holiday to Ireland which resulted in several broken ribs, three months off the water and the waste of a perfectly good holiday.
Dave for his pathetic attempt at getting an award by breaking his finger during a standard tack.

And the winner of the 2003 worst wipeout award is MartinF. Congratulation Martin, and try to be a little more careful in 2004.

The next award also had several nominations:

The Fashion Victim Award
The nominations for this award were.

Shem for his lovely fluorescent yellow over-trousers, complete with reflective strips.
The flying scotsman for his particularly disgusting baggy purple over-shorts.
Steve for his ability to make even a winter wetsuit look like he is wearing flares.

Unfortunately I don’t have any photographic evidence for any of these fashion statements, but it interesting to note that kite-surfers over-trousers seem to crop up quite often in the nominations. But the winner of the Fashion Victim Award 2003 is Steve... We’ll try to get some photos as seeing is believing!

And now onto the most important of the awards, as this is what Forces-of-Nature is all about.

The Forces-of-Nature Champion
This is awarded to the member with the most diary entries and the highest Stoke Factor of 2003.

As its such an important award, here are the Top 10 in both categories

Most Active
In 10th place Kelvin with 28 sessions
In 9th place Shem with 32 sessions
In 8th place IainW with 34 sessions
In 7th place Dave with 35 sessions
In 6th place dazzamuffin with 37 sessions
In 5th place badexcuseforasailor with 60 sessions
In 4th place paul with 64 sessions
In 3rd place Harry with 72 sessions
In 2nd place ajdesq with 80 sessions
In 1st place justal with 196 sessions

Most Stoked
In 10th place Kelvin with a Stoke Factor of 96
In 9th place IainW with a Stoke Factor of 98
In 8th place Shem with a Stoke Factor of 109
In 7th place Dave with a Stoke Factor of 115
In 6th place dazzamuffin with a Stoke Factor of 123
In 5th place badexcuseforasailor with a Stoke Factor of 199
In 4th place Harry with a Stoke Factor of 222
In 3rd place paul with a Stoke Factor of 238
In 2nd place ajdesq with a Stoke Factor of 262
In 1st place justal with a Stoke Factor of 623

Once again, as Administrator I am exempt from these awards, so the Forces-of-Nature Champion 2003 is ajdesq. Congratulations Andrew, and that's without recording your S. African sessions early in the year.

Finally, there is one last award. This goes to someone who we felt deserved an award, but we couldn’t quite put our fingers on why, so the

Can’t put my finger on it award goes to AngryApple. I’ll leave it up to you to decide your own reason why she deserves the award... Congratulations Angry!!

And that's it for the 2003 Forces-of-Nature awards. I shall make a few adjustments to the forums so that the award winners have their award titles displayed alongside all of their posts.

Keep an eye on posts and diary entries for 2004 as hopefully we’ll be able to award ‘best post’ and ‘best diary entry’ awards next year. If you read any post or diary entries that you particularly enjoy, keep a record of it, or let me know and I’ll keep them in mind for next years nominations.

As always, thanks for your contributions to all areas of the ‘Forces-of-Nature’ site, keep it up as it wouldn’t be what it is without you.

Hope 2003 was good for you, and here's to a 2004 with plenty of action from the true ‘Forces-of-Nature’.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

badexcuseforasailor
A Force-of-Nature ***

Top Poster 2003

Member #: 116
Posts 846

Mood: wheres the wind?

posted on 3-1-2004 at 16:48 Reply With Quote
<takes a bow>
Thank you Thank you

How much of a speech do I have to make? is that long enough ?

Joe
Pro

Member #: 27
Posts 76

Mood: hanging loose

posted on 4-1-2004 at 09:40 Reply With Quote
Hi Al,

I didn't know there were awards to be won?!
Anyhow, I like the idea and would like to congratulate all the winners.
Al, its been fun to read the announcements.

Joe

[Edited on 4-1-2004 by Joe]

Rabbit
Beach Bum

School of Advanced Driving Award 2003

Member #: 320
Posts 29

Mood:

posted on 4-1-2004 at 15:24 Reply With Quote
(Sheepishly standing)
Why thank you all for the award.

Congratulations to every one else.

Aunt Sally
Hot shot

Member #: 207
Posts 65

Mood:

posted on 5-1-2004 at 07:01 Reply With Quote
No award for me

Not even a nomination!!

Oh well, it was an enjoyable read. Congratulations everyone. Display those trophies with pride.

Sal.

AndyW
A Force-of-Nature **

Walk Of Shame Award 2003 & 2004

Member #: 168
Posts 382

Mood:

posted on 5-1-2004 at 12:51 Reply With Quote

Walk Of Shame Award

What can I say?

The Excuse
1) I knew I was down wind but just didn't want to stop.
2) The water was warm for the time of year so I just wanted to stay in there.
3) I was heading for the estuary.
4) The wind was marginal.
5) I don't sail in waves, ever!
6) Al made me go in there.

The Acceptance
Ok, 'nuff excuses, its a fair cop. But I'd just like to thank all those who helped me with this achievement along the way.

First, I'd just like to thank the FON members for their diary entries that encourage me to get out more often. Thanks also to those who inspired me to leave the lakes behind and head for the ocean, I don't think I'll ever look back. To Boardwise for organising demo days that first led me to Borth. To Al for running the FON site, keeping us up to date with a decent weather forecast, and for the cups of tea. And to Jules for making my sandwiches and buying my subscription to Boards magazine! I thank you all.

Defense of my title
I guess I might not be too keen on winning this again. But if I'm gonna get out there in waves, trash my kit, injure myself, maybe learn something, and most of all have fun then yes I might just be up for more of the same... ;-)

Nick
Pro

Member #: 218
Posts 118

Mood: don't like winter.....too dark

posted on 5-1-2004 at 16:22 Reply With Quote
Happy New Year & congratulations to all the winners..... I must try harder next year!

425 posts BEFS.... pretty impressive, but how may were against the word association thread!? ... it got my vote for worst topic of the year

Cheers

Nick

Angry_Apple
Pro

Can't put my finger on it Award 2003

Member #: 272
Posts 75

Mood: angry....yet content

posted on 11-1-2004 at 21:07 Reply With Quote
Congratulations everybody who won an award. This award means so much to me (sob) and I, (sob) just cant put my finger on it why....
Congratulations again,
Angry.
grr

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
ajdesq
A Force-of-Nature *

F-O-N Champion 2003

Member #: 6
Posts 214

Mood: Living to kitesurf :-)

posted on 11-1-2004 at 21:46 Reply With Quote
(wipes tear).... Well, I'd like to thank my agent, my family, my coach, my dear friends, the lady who makes the tea....

Well, I guess after skiving for a year (sorry, I mean taking a sabbatical) then I really should have been pretty active. The challenge will be to match it this year.

We're off to a good start - stepped off the overnight train this morning from the French Alps (about 8 snowboarding seshes to write up yet), jumped into the van, and drove down to Camber Sands for a spot of windsurfing. Bit knackered for now though, the diaries can wait...

Thanks all, looking forward to seeing you again over the next year

Andrew

There's more to life than KITESURFING!

Let me know when you find it.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 12-1-2004 at 16:17 Reply With Quote
I thought you might like getting that award Andrew.... It is the most sought after of the awards.

Don’t get too cocky though. You may be the FON Champion...but just remember I was exempt!!!

Mind you, by the sounds of it you are off to a good start this year and will be ahead of me now.... Grrrr!!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

MartinF
Pro

Worst Wipeout Award 2003

Member #: 72
Posts 79

Mood: needing time out

posted on 22-1-2004 at 09:45 Reply With Quote
quote:
Worst Wipeout Award

The nominations for this award were

<snip>

MartinF for his wipeout on the first run of the first day of his holiday to Ireland which resulted in several broken ribs, three months off the water and the waste of a perfectly good holiday.

And the winner of the 2003 worst wipeout award is MartinF. Congratulation Martin, and try to be a little more careful in 2004.

Well - what can I say - apart from sorry for taking so long to actually post a response!

I guess I was laughin so much that... well - with all those broken ribs...

The holiday wasn't a total disaster - with the 3 poypins of real ale we took with us, plus the Guinness, Voltarol, Tramodol & Vallium that was prescribed (actually, the Guinness didn;t come on prescription), I managed to struggle through the week. By the end of the week, it only took me 15 mins to get myself off the bed.

Just a quick clinical update - ribs are fine now, still some residual muscle damage & scar tissue across my chest & down my back, but my liver will take much longer to recover from the abuse!

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy