Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
Author: Subject: Need A New Board Or Equiment?
petersone
Hot shot

Member #: 845
Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 2-7-2004 at 21:54 Reply With Quote
Need A New Board Or Equiment?

Here check out my site. If your order comes to over $150, you get free shipping!

We have new boards, used boards, wet suits, rash guards, fins, fin tethers, some surfboards, board bags, and other accessories. Please give it a look.

MySite

[Edited on 2-7-2004 by petersone]

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 325
Posts 486

Mood: Well and truly Stoked!

posted on 3-7-2004 at 10:07 Reply With Quote
Your site is wonderful in my opinion. Although i haven't yet ordered from you, i have found it really great to look at, get a look at new, good equipment and learn new tips and moves from "helpful info" section of the site.

I've read that vicki reale and jay reale are the owners of the site, do you know them by any chance? Because they were featured in issue 57 of british bodyboarding mag ThreeSixty...it was about how their day went.

I have also emailed vicki before about advice, so all in all i think the site is a great contribution to the sport and sponging community. Keep up the hard work!

I'll be voting yes on your poll!

Airborne.

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 3-7-2004 at 15:41 Reply With Quote
Airborne-

Thanks for your interest in my site. I do business with Vicki and Jay frequently selling bodyboards and other equipment. I've never met them in person before though. If you enjoy the stuff on the site, I would encourage you to sign up for their email notification. They send out codes for discounts that you type in for your order and you can receive 10-30% your purchase. If you need any help with anything (ordering, board choosing, and equipment quality), email me at petersonelhs@hotmail.com. I would be happy to help you.

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 3-7-2004 at 21:06 Reply With Quote
Great! I'll give that email notification thing a try. I'll also take you up on your advice as i am always wanting some because i'm still getting to know the sports intermediate skills. So, thanks for your email.

One thing i would like to ask you...are you really only 15 years old like me? Because on your profile on this site it says you were born in 1988. If this isn't true you might want to change it! I thought you might want to know that.

Cheers again, speak to you soon.

Airborne.
Keep spongin'!

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 3-7-2004 at 22:57 Reply With Quote
Well, I just turned 16 in May so yeap, my info is right. I've been sponging for almost 4 years now and I think I've got the right idea.

I ride a 2002 42" Ion with a bicep leash...hows about you?

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 4-7-2004 at 13:37 Reply With Quote
I like ION boards, i reckon i might get one for my next board. I have a Manta 40" Elite (cresent tail) with a surfblock wrist leash. I think its quite good. I've been bodyboarding for 4 years as well, and i haven't changed my board in 3 years because i don't get to sponge very often, living inland.

I would like to ask you some questions:
1) Is my board ok for prone and dropknee?
2) What should i look for on my board which would tell me i need a new one?
3) What fins do you have?
4) I have "winston's" which are the cheaper (£20) copies of churchill fins. Are these good for dropknee?
5) Where do you sponge? Ever been to Hossegor, France?

Hope you don't mind taking the time to answer these, its just i like to get all the advice i can get.

Cheers,
Airborne.

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 4-7-2004 at 15:46 Reply With Quote
Your answers

Ions are a great board if you're looking for speed in small surf. They don't come with stringers, so I'd actually advise away from Ions. I sponge on Cape Cod in the USA, mainly Nauset beach, but I also live inland so I dont get a lot of chances to do so either. I have attached a photo for you from some lady's web site. Its about mid tide in this picture, low tide coming into high tide, so the waves get about 2 feet bigger. On to your questions:

1) Is my board ok for prone and dropknee?

>>Your board is def. ok for prone riding. It depends on your weight and if you have a stringer in your board if its ok for dropknee. I would say on a 40" board, if you are heavier than 135lbs, dropknee would be difficult.

2) What should I look for on my board which would tell me I need a new one?

>>On old boards, I usually look for any sunspots and blistering. Sometimes deep gauges on the tops and bottoms of the boards can cause problems with catching waves, turning, etc. Little scratches on the other hand aren't a big problem. Also, another thing you should look for are any creases in your board. Usually they happen around the center of the board and look basically like a fold in the deck.

3) What fins do you have?

>>I use power edge swimfins, I think they're the cheapest set on my site. They work well though.

4) I have "winston's" which are the cheaper (£20) copies of churchill fins. Are these good for dropknee?

>>If they are anything like the Churchill Slashers, or Makapus, they are fine. If you are a beginner just learning to dropknee, its probably easier to have shorter fins, making it easier to get up on the board without fumbling with your fins. For example, I would rather have one of the two Churchill fins for dropknee compared to BZ's rubber swim fins, or Viper swim fins. Although both are great for prone riding, they are too lengthy for me to use while dropkneeing.

5) Where do you sponge? Ever been to Hossegor, France?

>>Seeing that I live in the US, I basically sponge in New England. I spend two weeks at Cape Cod every year with my family. This year I believe we're going the last week of July into the first week of August. Hopefully I'll get some decent pics of the surf for you when I come back. Ocassionally when I get the money I fly down to Florida and stay with some relatives. I've never been to Hossegor. How large is the surf there? A lot of spongers from Europe say its the place to be.

I hope these answers helped. Lemme know if you need anything else.

[Edited on 4-7-2004 by petersone]

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 4-7-2004 at 19:27 Reply With Quote
That info was great! Your definately the man to come to if i need any advice. Cheers for that. Maybe i'll just stick with Manta boards, they seem to suit me and i think they're good in colder waters sooo living in Britain that probably makes sense!

Cape Cod looks really nice. The water looks cleaner than most of the beaches in Britain...especially the ones closest to where i live (east anglia...my days its like a sewage dump!) The wave looks fairly good, 2 ft higher must be nice. Good beginner wave maybe, and where the wave's breaking is that going to be a very small tube? The thing i like about that place is that it doesn't look like you have to paddle out to far to get to waves, although there are a few in the background. Plus its sunny, here in England all we get is cloud!

Judging by your advice it seems like my boards ok for now. I think i'll just stick to prone because everytime i try to get up on the board it starts to sink! It looks like a may be to heavy?...i think i'm about 8 stone. (Don't know what that is in lbs). Plus my fins are too long. I might try DK without fins for fun! I'll try my brother's 42" Manta Amp...would that work?

Hossegor is supposed to be really good for sponging, along with Lanzarote...hopefully i should be going to Hossegor next year for my summer hols. Usually on average the surf gets to just above head height in the summer, but in the other months it can get really big!
Here's a picky of it BIG!

[Edited on 4-7-2004 by Airborne]

Airborne has attached this image:

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 4-7-2004 at 20:13 Reply With Quote
Here was one of the posts made about a year ago, it just shows how one time near Biarritz, near Hossegor, France the waves got BIG!

60ft French Waves!!

Sunday Times Article:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FREAK WEATHER MAKES EUROPE 60FT-WAVE SURFER'S PARADISE
By Maurice Chittenden, The Sunday Times, 20 April 2003

BIG-WAVE surfing, the sport that has been the almost exclusive preserve of Hawaii, California and Bondi Beach, was yesterday forced to take a new kid on board: Europe.
Freak weather conditions have seen some of the biggest waves in memory lashing the Atlantic coastline this spring. A 20ft-high wave was surfed in Guernsey last month. But the "daddy" of them all was a wave the height of a six- storey building, ridden off the French coast by two surfers who had tracked satellite weather pictures of the swirling front of an intense low pressure system across the ocean from Newfoundland.

The storm sent a 25ft swell racing ahead of it at 35mph towards the coast of Europe. Its waves peaked in height as they hit a reef off the coast in the French Basque country.

The Americans are not amused. The French feat was greeted with boos yesterday at an international awards ceremony for surfers in Anaheim, California. Photographs of the wave were studied for three hours by judges who measured it at 64ft high. It was just 2ft short of the season's record, a 66-footer successfully ridden at a famed spot for ferocious waves, nicknamed "Jaws", off Maui in Hawaii.

The ceremony was held as an offshoot of the Billabong Odyssey, a three-year-old hunt sponsored by a surfwear company to capture a 100ft-high wave for a $500,000 (£318,000) prize.

The Americans are scornful of the waves surfed last month at Belharra Reef, two miles off the French resort of St Jean de Luz. The audacity of France at seeking to take the surfing crown from America at a time when the Iraq conflict was brewing has upset sensitivities on the beach.

"The French have a lot of good things, but military backbone and big waves aren't included," said one of the postings on an internet message board set up by Surfer magazine.

Eddie Rothman is a Hawaiian surfing icon whose 18-year-old son Makua won $66,000 yesterday for riding the winning wave off Maui. "The French wave is beautiful but there's no trough on it," Rothman said. "It's mushy. I'd take my nine-year-old son out to tow into that wave. I'm 55 and I want to ride that wave. But no way would you get me out at Jaws."

The French are unmoved at suggestions that their wave was less dangerous. Fred Basse, one of the French surfers, said: "Riding this wave, it was like going down a huge ski slope. But with an avalanche behind you."

So can surfers in Cornwall this summer expect such high waves? "Not quite," said Dave Reed, a director of the British Surfing Association, which estimates that 250,000 Britons will go surfing this year. "The highest wave ridden in the UK is about 16ft. The Atlantic shelf around the coast protects us from a massive swell."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And heres a photo of it... Not quite Jaws, but still bloody big!!

Al.

justal has attached this image:

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 4-7-2004 at 20:17 Reply With Quote
Sorry the image didn't appear on the previous post. Here it is:

Airborne has attached this image:

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 4-7-2004 at 20:53 Reply With Quote
If you want any info on Hossegor ask the member "bucski" or email him at bucski@yahoo.com <bucski@yahoo.com> He knows all.

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 4-7-2004 at 22:15 Reply With Quote
wow that's crazy surf. the biggest break i've been on is about a 10 footer after a bad storm the night before. it was sand bar break, so it was crazy powerful, nothing like that though i could imagine...

-cheers

mexican bandit
Pro

Beach Bum (By special appointment)

Member #: 77
Posts 113

Mood: palm trees and bikinis

posted on 5-7-2004 at 11:23 Reply With Quote
Petersone,

I've got one that could go on your tip page. When you talk about leashes (wrist or bicep) you could add ankle. A friend of mine who dropknees put the leash plug near a bottom corner and then wears the leash around his ankle.

He does this more for when the waves are big monsters and you want to go deep during a bail-out. Also, when floating by the board the board is pulled close to him as the leash is about his height, so when his legs are in the water the bard keeps near him. I know it sounds weird, but I’ve tried his board a couple of timeas and it does the job.

Use it or not, your site is good. Keep it up.

"Why should I have to WORK for everything?! It's like saying I don't deserve it! " C&H

Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 5-7-2004 at 11:28 Reply With Quote
Hello there!!

I have to say hello to you Peter because you ride an Ion..... I swear I'm the only person in the UK with one as i've never seen anyone else riding one.
I've got the 2003???? I think.... possibly the 2002 42" board.. Your probably more in the "know" than me so correct me if i'm wrong but i've heard that ION are no longer around! Also that Wave Rebel are selling ION boards which aren't the same spec as before. They're still charging around the £160 mark for one but its garbage...... heard anything like this?

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 5-7-2004 at 14:48 Reply With Quote
Hey...no, I haven't heard anything about it. I've been checking up on Ions homepage (www.ionbodyboards.com) and it says that the site is coming soon. I'll see if I can't find any other information on it.

Now...I have a question for you. How does your Ion ride without a stringer? Mine rides fine because I ride in about 2-4 ft surf. I don't know if you catch anything bigger where you are, but the locals here in the U.S. say Ions are trash because they don't have a stringer.

-cheers

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 5-7-2004 at 20:02 Reply With Quote
Clear me up on this topic please...could you tell me what a stringer actually is and what it does! I've heard it around, isn't it something to do with the rocker of the board?

Cheers.

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 5-7-2004 at 20:07 Reply With Quote
yeah you're right. a stringer is just a rod put into the template of the board to stiffen it. it really depends on the kind and size of surf you ride to qualify you for a stringer.

-cheers

Airborne
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 486

posted on 6-7-2004 at 16:41 Reply With Quote
Cheers for that...one last question before my knowledge for intermediate bodyboarding is complete...when you say the wind is offshore does that mean the wind is comming from the land and towards the beach (making onshore wind from the sea onto land), is this right? Plus which one makes the waves "better"? Isn't onshore worse for waves?

Thanks for your help.

petersone
Hot shot

Posts 41

Mood:

posted on 6-7-2004 at 18:37 Reply With Quote
you know i really couldnt tell you much about the wind. i know that when the wind is blowing against the waves it makes it harder to catch them. thats about all i know...
Thodd
A Force-of-Nature *

Most active Body-boarder 2004

Member #: 446
Posts 278

Mood: itchin to get wet!!!

posted on 7-7-2004 at 11:39 Reply With Quote
Hi Peter,

I've had no problems with my Ion at all. Probably the biggest surf i've been in with it had around 10ft faced waves, quite a lot over head height for stand up surfers, (thats how I measured it anyway!!) It managed everything I wanted it to do and could have probably done more if i'd had the balls.
I've taken off the top of waves with it - landed pretty hard on more than one occasion and theres nothing wrong with it.
Its fast... its turns VERY quickly... I think its the best thing since sliced bread, and one of the best boards I've ridden!

2 of my mates ride BZ's, one of them a Hubb which i've had a go on, another mate has a Morey Mach 7.7 Stewart signature Model which I've ridden, I've ridden Manta's and Wave Rebels.......... I still prefer my Ion!

Regarding that Ion Website... it was up and running this time last year and then mysteriously just went down....

HOLD THE PRESS...... i've just tried it again... and its up and running...... check out the gallery.. and theres your answer to how it handles on big surf!!

Woo hooo....... Ion are back!!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy