Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Re: 19th August 2004 Diary Entry by Jonny.
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 20-8-2004 at 05:59 Reply With Quote
Re: 19th August 2004 Diary Entry by Jonny.

On 19th August 2004, Jonny wrote:

quote:
Windsurfing: Cockerham Sands
Wind Direction: SW
Wind Stength: 25knots+
Surf / Sea State: Choppy
Air Temperature: 17C
Sea Temperature:
Weather: Overcast/rain

Arrived expecting to find at least a few other people out as conditions looked perfect but it was dead. One guy turned up on his lunch break but decided not to rig in the end, not sure why but said he didn't want to damage his new board.
Rigged the 4.7 and got onto the choppy water. Didn't apprecite how choppy it was. Not advanced enough to cope with the wavy conditions so found it pretty difficult throughout especially bein unable to water start still. Spent half the session attempting the water start but to no avail so just uphauled it in the end once i got pissed of with water starting.
My Arms were absolutely dead by the end of the session which is probably down to the uphauling.
I managed to get 2 old grannys worried and worked up as they were watchin me throughout spending the majority of my time in the water attempting to water start. They thought I was in difficulty so I was lucky the coast guard wasn't called out. Spent about 5 mins reassuring them that I was fine and that I was practising a new technique. They then offered a warm coffee which I couldn't refuse.
Gotta learn how to water start to progress especially in todays choppy conditions, back to watching the video i think. Hopefully tomorrow brings the same but with sunshine and a nice Westerly without such choppy conditions

Jonny, What stage are youn at with the waterstarting?? Do you manage to get the rig flying? Are you luffing up into wind when you try to get on the board? Where's it all going wrong? Let us know and we'll all be able to give you some tips.

Mind you learning to do it in amongst the waves won't help. wait for a nice windy day and get out somewhere with flat water and just keep practising it. Once you've got it and been doing it for a while you'll wonder what all the fuss was about and why it was so difficult.. It is an ESSENTIAL skill though, so don't give up on it as once you can do it you'll really open up the world of real windsurfing on smaller boards in 'proper' conditions!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 394
Posts 308

Mood: waitin for the next blow!

posted on 23-8-2004 at 17:57 Reply With Quote
Im still in the beginning stages of water starting, have always uphauled in the past but it becomes pretty impossible on a wavy day. On Thursday, I got the rig flying and moved down towards the boom, got a hand on the boom and then a wave would usually come and drown me and the rig and then a case of starting again. This was the case last Thursday but on the flat water on Saturday - I got the rig flying, got one foot on the board and the board was luffing upinto wind which got very frustrating. Just need to wait for another good day to practice them again.
Jonny

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 23-8-2004 at 19:42 Reply With Quote
Sounds as though your are making plenty of progress... if you can successfully get the rig flying and your back foot on the board then you are halfway there... Luffing up into wind will be caused by not enough mastfoot pressure and too much pressure on your feet as you try to pull yourself up... You want to try to keep the upward movement as smooth and fluid as possible. So as the rig starts to lift you you keep that movement going. Don't push down through your legs too much but as you start rising up out of the water tuck them in under yourself so that you pull the tail of the board under you which in turns helps to keep the nose bearing away. By doing this you get your weight over the centreline quicker where theres more floatation and stability. And most of all keep focused on that mastfoot pressure..

As you've already got to the stage of getting the rig flying then you can practise the last bit by doing beachstarts in progressively deeper water. That will get you used to the feeling of bearing away using MFP as you get up onto the board and once you are doing them in deep water you'll almost be waterstarting anyway. It should then be easy to put the two parts together and you'll be on your way... Decent winds will of course help as water-startign in marginal conditions is pretty difficult. To start with its easiest to learn when you are really well powered up.

Keep us up to date with your progress

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 308

posted on 23-8-2004 at 21:13 Reply With Quote
Cheers Al. It all sounds really logical and youv'e explained it well. It all makes sense as I was using my feet to help me get out of the water when I should of been letting the sail do the hard work, explains why the board kept turning into wind. Just a case of putting it into practice now. I'l let you know how I get on. Just need some good conditions, this morning was good but the wind died down throughout the day.
Thanks again
Jonny

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 308

posted on 24-8-2004 at 23:28 Reply With Quote
Attempted the water start in todays session. Was back to square 1 again, got the rig flying and when I worked my way to the boom, the top of the mast was back in the water. Probably wasn't enough wind to tell the truth but phil managed fine with is water starts on his 6.5. He said hes gonna lend me a video on water starts which should be helpful.
Jonny

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 308

posted on 4-11-2004 at 21:26 Reply With Quote
Just lookin back at this old post and Im wondering what all the fuss was about with waterstarting. It seems so natural to do it now. My weeks worth of windsurfing sessions in Borth at the beginning of October helped a lot. I do remember trynna learn only 2 months ago and at times gettin very frustrated giving up with it. Theres no way I coulda gone out in todays conditions without being able to waterstart. Its an essential skill!!
My next goal is to gybe and carve gybe successfully every time. It seems impossible at the moment but then again; I said that about water starting when I first attempted them. Its what makes this sport so enjoyable progressing to the next step.

leonardo
A Force-of-Nature ***

Member #: 634
Posts 613

Mood: Chillin' ya bloodclot mahn

posted on 16-11-2004 at 07:47 Reply With Quote
i have to say bruuu that i struggle to read these posts when there are like 4 avatars with a babedelicious magnet fondling her breasts...

LEN10 LOOPING..

www.sskiteboarding.com

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Posts 308

posted on 16-11-2004 at 15:33 Reply With Quote
I know. Its awesome. credit gos to Bucksi for findin this one

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy