Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Re: 20th January 2005 Diary Entry by Jonny.
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 20-1-2005 at 16:44 Reply With Quote
Re: 20th January 2005 Diary Entry by Jonny.

On 20th January 2005, Jonny wrote:

quote:
Windsurfing: Queenstown - NZ
Wind Direction: W
Wind Stength: 0 - 25 knots
Surf / Sea State: flat
Air Temperature: 21C
Sea Temperature: 13C
Weather: Sunshine

Was lookin up all the info about windsurfing in the local area and luckily found out there was a demo going on a few hours later down the road. Was gonna hitch to get there as its so easy over here but took the bike instead for a bit of exercise.
The wind was really gusty as you would expect from an inland waterway. I was first there so got to choose my kit and took out the new 120 L JP Xcite with a Neil Pryde Combat 5.4 There was headly a breath to start with so it was hard work trynna tack out into the deeper water where there was more wind.
Eventually got there and the wind was so up and down. I had a few nice runs followed by quite a few shit runs and then 1 or 2 overpowered ones but I was really impressed with the JP. Lovely board and gets on the plane pretty quickly and stays on it even when I passed through a few lulls before a dunking.
Totally surprised myself by pullin of quite a few fast gybes, maybe its the new kit. So much easier to use than early 90's stuff.
In all was good to get out onto the water especially in sucj a lovely location, the surrounding scenery is spectacular. Wish I put my suncream on as im pretty badly burnt, the UV index is 11+ of the scale at the moment. Off travelling the north island next week so might try and buy a surfboard as well as some cheap windsurfing kit if i can get hold of some. Gotta get a motor first. And Im told i probably wont be needing a wetsuit in the warmer waters up North which would be great.

Nice one Jonny... stumbling across a demo day as well. Hope this is the first of many NZ entries. I'm not jealous at all!!! Post some photos too when you have some, just to rub it in a little more!

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 394
Posts 308

Mood: waitin for the next blow!

posted on 22-1-2005 at 05:16 Reply With Quote
I will post some photos once I take some pics. Just arrived in Christchurch and its very humid, 25C and overcast. Was very lucky to get myself a hostel for the night as everywhere was booked up. Only prob is im sharing a dorm with 6 other people and were all crammed into a room that measures 3 * 3.5 metre. You wouldnt think it was possible to get 7 people in there.

Ive also spotted some equipment thats for sale from some local. Its a bit out of my price range at the equivalent of 800 quid as I can only afford 600 tops.

"up for sale is a complete set of windsurfing equipment, under 5 years old, still in very good condition. This equipment would suit beginner to intermediate level.

included are the following items

Boards:
Peak 295 PX 131 litre (easy to manoeuvre)
mistral 278 100 Litre (light and fast)

Boom
Chinook with clamp to mast mechanism

fins
NZ pro surf 330
Koester racing fin

Masts & Base
Carbon C30 4.3 metre
Carbon mast 4.6 metre
Base = Art Extension & pro am Christian

Sails:
Neil Pryde 4.5 m race
Neil Pryde 6.3 V
Neil Pryde 5.4 supersonic shear Tip
Neil Pryde Diablo 7.2 m(still brand new never used)"

Im not interested in the 130 litre board but all the other stuff would be great.

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 22-1-2005 at 07:46 Reply With Quote
Sounds good.... It is all quite 'race orientated' kit by the sounds of it though. All will be fine for flat water, but if you're thinking of venturing out into the lumpy stuff you would be better off with some 'freeride' or even wave kit.
(In my opinion!)

Al.

Jonny
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 394
Posts 308

Mood: waitin for the next blow!

posted on 22-1-2005 at 08:10 Reply With Quote
Ive been looking up all the windsurfing spots and have spoke to one or two people and the majority of the sailing is done on flat water. I was told quite a few of the kiwis are scared of going out into the lumpy ocean depths. They prefer playing around in the flat calm water of the harbours and lakes.
I Gotta buy a car first of all tomorrow so depending on how much money I got left over, I'l try and get the kit and get a sail in tomorrow afternoon maybe. fingers crossed

Jonny

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 22-1-2005 at 08:30 Reply With Quote
That should be fine then....

Good luck with it.

Al.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy