Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Author: Subject: Rough wind range of kites ?
Angusj
Grommet

Member #: 1470
Posts 14

Mood: Ah yes..always good...

posted on 5-9-2005 at 23:05 Reply With Quote
Rough wind range of kites ?

Hello all. Is there a rough guide for which kite size to use for wind conditions. I have been looking everywhere, but havent really found anything. I would like to be able to go kitesurfing at the lower end of a F4 and below. I will be windsurfing the rest of the time.

What is the lowest windspeed possible to kitesurf in and how big would the kite have to be ?

I saw one site that showed the wind ranges of lots of kites from 7M to 23 M, but they were almost all the same for all sizes. I cant see how you can use a 7M kite in the same conditions as a 23M

Anyhow, any info would be great.

Angus.

justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 6-9-2005 at 05:36 Reply With Quote
Good question, but in the actual sizes you'll use in certain wind conditions will depend on a number of factors... Your weight, your ability, the board you are using and the model of kite you are using. However, in general for average weights and abilities it is probably something like this:

less than 12 knots 16m and larger with a big board, but conditions will be marginal
12-16 knots - 14-18m kites
16-20 knots - 12-14m kites
20-25 knots - 8-12m kiites
25 knots plus - 10m or smaller

If you need to know what wind strength these ranges refer to on the beaufort scale take a look at a page about wind stengths that I never ogot around to properly publishing.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 6-9-2005 at 05:48 Reply With Quote
BTW... Just been looking at your profile... Are you by any chance the Angus from Sollas that I met in the Hebrides a few years back?? I think it was my first trip to the Hebrides which must have been sometime around 97 and I was camping at Hosta at the time with my Brother and Harvey. You were in the process of building a load of fences and we met you in the Westford Inn a few times and went to some mad 'dance' one night where we all got pretty wrecked!

There can't be to many Angus's in Sollas??.....

Vallay Strand will be a particularly good spot for you to get into kitesurfing. I've also had a few really good days kitesurfing at Lingeigh.

Al.

Angusj
Grommet

Posts 14

posted on 6-9-2005 at 08:51 Reply With Quote
Hello Al, yes I remember when you were up here. I am still in Sollas waiting for the wind to get going. Its been pretty calm the last month or so, but its picking up a bit today hopefully get out after work. A fair bit of surf on Traigh Iar and the strand and only me out !

Thanks for the info. I just got a 12 M kite today and a 7'6" directional, I might possibly buy a 16M kite too..will see how it goes. Hope I remember all I was taught !

Cheers for now
Angus

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 6-9-2005 at 09:37 Reply With Quote
I've been to the Uists a few times since I saw you there... I did ask after you one time but you were off on the mainland at a wedding.

It shouldn't be too long before you start getting some proper winds up there, hope you manage to get out this afternoon... I should imagine you are the only one out most of the time... I've never had to share a beach with anyone on N. Uist!... You've got me wanting to make another trip up there soon!

With a large board like a 7'6" directional you will need much less wind to get going, your 12m kite will get you up and going in 12 knots to start with, but you will soon want to progress onto a smaller twin-tip board.

Have fun.

Al.

Angusj
Grommet

Posts 14

posted on 6-9-2005 at 22:47 Reply With Quote
Aye, if you are coming up again give us a shout. There are still only 3 of us windsurfing, 2 of us surfing and as far as I know no one else is kite surfing. Its a small island so I guess i would have heard. Its pretty quiet...............................yup.........

Angus

justal
Administrator

Posts 7350

posted on 7-9-2005 at 06:04 Reply With Quote
Yeah, I'll let you know... Last time we had hassle geting the van across as they wanted to charge us commercial rates for it.

We got there in the end though and had a good time with some good windsurfing sessions in the sound of Eriskay and off Lingeigh. We were there in July (on our honeymoon) and unfortunately there wasn't much surf but there was enough wind for kitesurfing. As usual I didn't see anyone else out though. It will probably be a couple of years before we come up again (once our 6 month old son is a little older!), but I'll let you know.

Keep us up to date with how you get on with the kitesurfing.

Al.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy