Author: Subject: Sunday at Borth
justal
Administrator

Member #: 1
Posts 7350

Mood: Just Chillin Dude

posted on 3-11-2002 at 19:15 Reply With Quote
Sunday at Borth

I've just got back from a good and very busy session at the Golf Course Car Park, Borth.

I've added the report to the diary as usual, and as there was so many people there. I'll let you all post your own reports here rather than repeating it all again.

Briefly though, I was out with a 5.7m sail in big seas and SW-W winds all afternoon with about 15 other people (busy for Borth)...As far as I know a good session was had by most, although a few did struggle in the big(ish) waves.

Al.

URL: Pixelwave Design - Website Design Wales
Shop: Website Templates

Personal Weblog: A Simple Life of Luxury in West Wales

Joe
Pro

Member #: 27
Posts 76

Mood: hanging loose

posted on 4-11-2002 at 16:45 Reply With Quote
Hi everyone,

yes, Sunday was very good! With the sun out it was not even too cold - the biggest fear I had.
When I started sailing at about 12:30 the wind was fine for my 5.7 sail and the (bigger) wave board. It was south westerly and the waves were rather big. It was one of those days when you had no choice about whether you wanted to jump or not. When going out just after you got over the top of a wave there just wasn't any water under your board anymore.
We estimated the good waves to be half mast size some of the monsters even bigger. No wonder there were a few kit casualies that day.
Later in the session the wind swung around more dead onshore with the wave sizes a bit smaller and fewer good jumps available. Actually, as it always is in an dead onshore, the sea was almost a bit messy. Personally I enjoy that too as there is plenty of action then.
And yes, for Borth it was busy as many stayed inside the breaking water (the beachward side, that is) as in the onshore conditions it was very hard to get over the breaking lines.

All in all an excellent day which Steve, Steve(bus) and me finished with a cuppa at Little Chef's on our way home.

Joe

[Edited on 4-11-2002 by Joe]

stevebus
Beach Bum

Member #: 40
Posts 19

Mood:

posted on 4-11-2002 at 19:52 Reply With Quote

hello all sunday sailers
just a line to say i'm glad some of you better sailers found it rough going on sunday to.Was suprised to see it that rough to say it was only 6m weather,but had a good go at it anyway,or should i say the waves had a good go at me.only made it out back once, but that was good going to say how steep them waves were,they really gave you a good battering.
Nice to see steve again and get some advise on wavesailing from joe.

stevebus

Steve
Beach Bum

Fashion Victim 2003

Member #: 33
Posts 29

Mood:

posted on 4-11-2002 at 21:09 Reply With Quote
After a good sail at Borth Friday I was back again Sunday for more action, the wind was quite light when I arrived and one of the Draycote crew was even thinking about going back home anyway by 11:30 after a couple of failed attemps I'd punched my way through the mush and sailed a fair way out enjoying the jumping, sailing as fast as I could over the big swells. The second session didn't start well as the wind had dropped a little, with the lulls & on shore wind I didn't quite have enough power so took a good mauling in the waves and mush, but the good times returned and I enjoyed another testing session with the rest of the happy smiley sailers until it was just Al and me left on the water. Back at the car park there were tales of sails ripped in half and ditched rigs so a hole in the top panel of my sail wasn't too bad. See you all next week if the wind blows.

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy