Forces-of-Nature Forums

Last Active : Never
Not logged in [Login - Register]

windsurf, Kitesurf, Waves, Surf, Sunset

Printable Version
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
<<  1    2    3  >>
Author: Subject: 12th -13th may anyone out??
Noo Noo
Hot shot

Member #: 6532
Posts 71

Mood: I like to be wet

posted on 14-5-2007 at 07:20 Reply With Quote
I ache even today. Cant believe i had the place to myself most of Saturday.

Nice to meet you Shem.
Good to see you again Si.

Found the problem with my 12. leading edge bladder's got a small hole right near the end. Dont know if I can fix it. Real trouble getting it to lay flat. 9m saved the day though. Any tips anyone.

Never flown a Sonic but I've looked over the 06 and I've seen Si's 07 up close. Would I be right in saying the 07 looks beefed up? To me it looks like they've really tried to toughen the kite up and make everything a whole lot more durable. I was always surprised at how light the 06 was. Not that there were any quality issues with it though. Everything was very simple, small and light. In comparison to me the 07 looks a lot more reinforced. looks sweet in the air. Still nice and nimble.

If you giving out free tips Shem I might have to pick your brains. really struggling to nail some transitions and rotations. beginning to drive me crazy.

Hope the guys you were teaching went away happy Shem. Looked like they had a good time.

Oh yeah anyone know where I can get a buoyancy aid. Just good sense I think when kiting at Aber. So much water on the move .

[Edited on 14/5/07 by Noo Noo]

crut
Hot shot

Member #: 2475
Posts 42

Mood:

posted on 14-5-2007 at 07:56 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noo Noo
Never flown a Sonic but I've looked over the 06 and I've seen Si's 07 up close. Would I be right in saying the 07 looks beefed up? To me it looks like they've really tried to toughen the kite up and make everything a whole lot more durable. I was always surprised at how light the 06 was. Not that there were any quality issues with it though. Everything was very simple, small and light. In comparison to me the 07 looks a lot more reinforced. looks sweet in the air. Still nice and nimble.

Thanks for that extra information Noo Noo

[IMG]http://www.darkrock.co.uk/images/crut-bar.jpg[/IMG]

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 14-5-2007 at 08:03 Reply With Quote
Yip, the new sonic sure is sweet. I think that what every body needs to remember is that with all new bow or hybrid style kites, every one that rides them is pushing the kite to massive wind ranges. For example my 11 meter sonic takes me from 10-30 knots. So thats 1 kite for virtually all my kiting, at least 85% any way. Where as 3 years ago I would have had 3 kites do the same job. So of course a new style kite will wear out a lot quicker as its getting loads more use, 3 times more use pretty much!! So dont expect your 12 meter bow/hybrid to be looking as good as your same size C kite used to look after a year, cos it aint gonna!

Rant over!! One thing is certain, every body seems to be kiting a lot better and spending a lot less time running back to the beach for different sized kites now.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

Noo Noo
Hot shot

Posts 71

posted on 14-5-2007 at 08:14 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shem
Yip, the new sonic sure is sweet. I think that what every body needs to remember is that with all new bow or hybrid style kites, every one that rides them is pushing the kite to massive wind ranges. For example my 11 meter sonic takes me from 10-30 knots. So thats 1 kite for virtually all my kiting, at least 85% any way. Where as 3 years ago I would have had 3 kites do the same job. So of course a new style kite will wear out a lot quicker as its getting loads more use, 3 times more use pretty much!! So dont expect your 12 meter bow/hybrid to be looking as good as your same size C kite used to look after a year, cos it aint gonna!

Rant over!! One thing is certain, every body seems to be kiting a lot better and spending a lot less time running back to the beach for different sized kites now.

Sorry didn't word that very well. To me they look completely different now. The 07 looks a lot more solid when on the ground. I actually considered an 06 but at the time couldn't find any 2nd hand bargains had I seen one I would have snapped it up. Went with something else in the end.

yeah I love the added simplicity of it all. "Today is a 12m day." God knows how you used to do it Shem.

[Edited on 14/5/07 by Noo Noo]

Si_B
Pro

Member #: 2537
Posts 80

Mood: Single and getting happier !!

posted on 14-5-2007 at 12:37 Reply With Quote
One thing you can't do with a sonic is pack it up in mid air ready to pack away, before you even got off the water.

Sorry Col, but I've never seen I kite fold up like that before. I was amazed you could pump it back up, I thought you had blown something for sure.

I've got an 06 8m sonic. I don't think they have gone overboard in beefing it up, just added a bit of strength where it was needed. Not had any problems with mine yet, but I am keeping an eye on the stitching to try and catch anything before it happens. Also, my 8 doesn't come out the bag that often, so that will help.

Cheers,

Simon

Noo Noo
Hot shot

Posts 71

posted on 14-5-2007 at 13:37 Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Si_B
One thing you can't do with a sonic is pack it up in mid air ready to pack away, before you even got off the water.

Sorry Col, but I've never seen I kite fold up like that before. I was amazed you could pump it back up, I thought you had blown something for sure.

I've got an 06 8m sonic. I don't think they have gone overboard in beefing it up, just added a bit of strength where it was needed.
Cheers,

Simon

Yep that's exactly what i meant. Just rubbish at putting it on screen. I always liked the look of the Sonics; 06 and 07's. Your 07 looked absolutely rock solid in the air. Very nice indeed.

yep tough and clever them Ocean Rodeo's. Gave the kite a right pasting cause it didn't fold itself perfectly in half and dive into the bag. Naughty kite.

Seriously though I got lucky I reckon. Still cant figure out what happened. I was redirecting mid gybe and bang I honestly thought i'd snapped a line or a bridle. Pumped it back up on Sunday. Seems OK. I do seem to be losing a tiny bit of air out the valve though, but after 4hrs+ on the water...............

I still ache wonderful feeling

Did you ever find out where the person with the Caution came from? Appeared from nowehere

Si_B
Pro

Member #: 2537
Posts 80

Mood: Single and getting happier !!

posted on 14-5-2007 at 13:55 Reply With Quote
He must have had a hell of a run upwind to get back to the beach that quickly !!!. Unless someone else was setting up after we left.

Your OR one's are very similar to the original TD's. My 12 could be a bit twitchy and fold in on itself if the leading edge pressure had dropped. Once it folded, it was very hard to staighten it out again.

You can have a go on the Sonic next time I see you if you want. You don't appear to be slamming your kites down, so I assume you would not do it to mine

No free weekends for a while, but that last session should keep me smiling.

Simon

crut
Hot shot

Member #: 2475
Posts 42

Mood:

posted on 14-5-2007 at 14:54 Reply With Quote
Didn't the OR do it dance in the air after you'd done a front roll?

[IMG]http://www.darkrock.co.uk/images/crut-bar.jpg[/IMG]

Noo Noo
Hot shot

Posts 71

posted on 15-5-2007 at 07:09 Reply With Quote
Wow thanks Si I'll take you up on that offer - gently does it. I dont think I'll be about until first week in June. Might pop down on the Bank holiday WE to say hello if people are about.

Front Roll - I wish! Working on my back rolls and failing miserably at the moment. Try front rolls after or maybe next time out. Really loving it at the moment. Those Dyfi lagoons are just great for letting rip and trying whatever pops into your head.
OR's are not renowned for folding / inverting but I do know it happens. Very Flat kites the OR ONE's. Wish I knew what I did to cause it. Kite was near the edge, moving and powered too. Very strange. Thankfully it appears I got away with it.

shem

Member #: 150
Posts 2204

Mood: ##kite board demo centre##stan

posted on 15-5-2007 at 09:56 Reply With Quote
You may found it folded due to being out most of the day. Especially with temperature changes during the day, the pressure in your leading edge could have dropped.

Kite & SUP wales
Caravan decking wales

jon d hat
A Force-of-Nature **

Member #: 1437
Posts 410

Mood: Not long to go..Morocco again!

posted on 15-5-2007 at 18:57 Reply With Quote
I'm riding OR 1's 2006 models and never found them twitchy.. in fact one of the, if no the most stable bow i'v seen. Ask any one whose watched me ride, plenty of comments about how stable they seem to be. Also never had an issue pulling backloops.

I rode plenty of other bows in the 12 months following their release onto the market and after much deliberation, went for the 06 to avoid the one pump. To date, never had a bladder problem, and the only time they hindenberg is if there aint enough wind to fly em.

If I could have held on, I'd have deffo gone for the 07 Sonic...but 2 kites for £850 with 2 bar an lines... deal was done.9m is the sweeeetest thing but the 12 is a little slow on the turn. No comparison to the TD (which I have also riden)

Which model did you get 06 or 07?

Noo Noo
Hot shot

Posts 71

posted on 16-5-2007 at 07:38 Reply With Quote
I've got 12m and 9m 2006. Extremely stable, solid in the air as you say. Huge range. Very floaty, I've no complaints at all. Tough too thankfully.

9m Wow, special little kite that one. Saturday was first time out with it.
12m Slow as you say, the bridle mod helps but I still like it.

Not being able to afford new kites I stumbled on these 2nd hand for a good price. So I'm more than happy with OR and have no intentions of changing for the immediate future. Must admit the new OR RISE looks interesting.

I never really considered the Slingy's. Cant say why but I've since spoken to a few people that weren't 100% with them. It seems Si was unconvinced too. However there seems to be a lot of praise for the bigger TD's.

Th 9m bowtieing (did I spell that right?) like that was very strange. Cant for the life of me think what happened. Pressure must have been a little low as Shem says but something else happened too there was a jolt just like a line breaking or something. Aaah well all's OK just need to get out again

Always liked the look of the Sonics and they will always have a place on the "possibles" list

<<  1    2    3  >>

Website Design in Wales, UK by Pixelwave DesignPixelwave Web Design.

© Alan R Cole 2000...E=Mailjustal@forces-of-nature.co.uk

Privacy